My Husaberg FE570 thread of awesomeness!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ganshert, Mar 20, 2010.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I really wonder about those plastic subframes, how well they will hold up over time... :scratch lust for the bike otherwise... :getiton
  2. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    No doubt! I've really been trying to avoid reading this thread as I have a strong feeling it's going to end up costing me some dough for another bike, "the other" ktm :1drink Alas here I am again and that damn blue bike looks as awesome as ever.

As for powering the nav gear, I ran a pair of 14 gauge wire in a protective sheath from the steering head to the battery with a single inline/waterproof fuse at the battery and a quick disconnect at the steering head. It powers my roadbook, ico, & gps (All low power devices) through a harness that mates to the quick disconnect. IMHO having an additional fuse box and multiple fuses adds failure points without real advantage.
  3. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Because then it wouldn't be "my" thread of awesomeness it would be some other person's thread with my awesomeness in it :D
  4. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    me too

I guess you'll just have to get one. Consider it payback for the 990 I had to have after riding your SE :D
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Yeah your probably right. I ran 12 gauge with a relay and 30A fuse by the battery and an additional 14 gauge wire directly from the battery so I have switched and battery power at the fuse box. I can always nix the fuse box but it sure makes it easy to distribute the power and use a different rated fuse for each device. The GPS is pretty expensive and I wanted to run a 2A fuse for it.

I'll put a horn on it at some point and the existing stock switch provides a ground so all I have to do is run 12V to the other side of the horn and I'm done.

I'm also going to mount a tri color LED that monitors voltage so that will wire right in to the fuse box.

I like my wiring to be tidy so I figured 4 things powered up there off of two wires w/o a distribution panel of some sort would get messy.
  6. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I think of fuses more as protection from burning the wiring harness to the ground rather than protecting individual devices... Pretty much the only thing that is going to blow them is chaffing/cutting/accidentally grounding a hot wire (somewhat likely...) or overloading a circuit (not bloody likely with nav gear).

For distribution, first I run to a master Nav switch, then tie in all the feeds to soldered/shrink wrapped/sheathed connections. I like things neat, but also like them simple and am wiling to trade off a bit of cosmetic beauty for simplicity and robustness.... And while I know they do it all the time on race bikes, having many crimped connectors, screw terminals, and lots fuses makes much less sense to me on a rallye bike with dust/dirt/vibration/water, especially with something that is moving back and forth with every turn of the handlebars.

Course it's only my opinion, and I've redone my nav gear mounting and wiring four times already as I am never completely happy with what I set up. Maybe we'll get a chance to admire each others handywork this weekend :evil
  7. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't need to. Looks like a 2010 you have. Horn wires are already there on the right side of the frame up by the radiator. Plug in a horn and your good. I got to figure where to put the mount.
  8. ChR1s

ChR1s Spherical Bastard

Oddometer:
    To the OP: Thanks for posting up the details of your FE build-up. It's been quite helpful!

Finally got my 390 out for a ride yesterday. I like it. A LOT. Seems to be perfect for the boney New England woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    So I finally got out for some real riding.

14.5 hours and 365 miles later, looped it once and got it good and stuck in a mud hole. I think I've got it broken in :deal

The 3 days of riding was mixed single / double track, jeep road, gravel, highway, and even a couple of miles of interstate.

It performed flawlessly. That thing is a tractor or a rocket ship depending on gear and throttle position. Me likey :nod

Seems a little rear heavy. Makes for some interesting sand riding. I've always had to get way back and lighten the front to go fast in sand. Not on this bike. I wanted to get some hours on it before I picked up a damper. I think I'll get one but I want to move the bars back directly above the stem first. Right now I have them in position 3, clamps towards rear but in front hole. More to come on that...

Still seems geared low with the 14 on front and 52 on back. Stock is 13/52. I think I'll get a 48 for the back and see what that feels like. I'll keep the 52 around for tight technical single track.

I got it good and hot a couple of times and spit up some coolant. I picked up a fan and will be posting pics of that install some time this coming week. Might even try to figure out a coolant overflow catch can but haven't a clue where I'll mount it.

Fuel seems to get really hot. Not quit boiling yet but hot enough to overwhelm the vent and build serious pressure. At one point it was trying to spit the inline vent out of the tubing and I could hear it hissing. This was after some particularly tight single track with the sun beating down and no wind.

I changed the oil before this ride at 1.2 hours and it was debris free and clean. I'll do a valve check and oil change this coming week and report back.

I got 40 mpg on easier terrain, the fuel light came on at 71 and it was still running at 82 and took slightly over 2 gallons. I got about 36 over a 120 mile day of harder stuff.

Overall I couldn't be happier. The FI is spectacular, the bike feels as light as my old 03 250EXC, and the suspension is spot on. I'm 229 w/o gear and am running .50s in front and a 8.5-11 progressive in back. I get 105 race and 30 static with that setup. Might have to go lighter on both ends as I approach my 200lb goal.

At the beginning of the day
    [​IMG]

After 120 miles of challenging terrain... and some mud.
    [​IMG]

more to come...
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    what's a thread of awesomeness doing on page 8? :dunno :lol3
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

It's not orange enough. :D
  12. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    :lol3

If we pick a fight in here, it will be the most awesome thread in the basement.
  13. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Page 8 is apparently the most awesome page then :D
  14. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I was going to give you all my spare orange parts :nod
  15. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blue and yellow is the new orange. :D
  16. Hayduke

Oddometer:

:clap Yay!!!1!!

[​IMG]
  17. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump.:ear
  18. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I've been riding the piss out of it.

[​IMG]

P.S. I'm taking it supermoto racing this spring :D
  19. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Rode a demo FX450 this weekend. Loved it. I'm now fantasizing over a 570s.
  20. Hayduke

Oddometer:

Way to make Ned pick up your bike. :thumb :lol3