World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I chose the (completely new to me) Soviet T-70 for the Tier III version of the clan campaigns tonight and tomorrow night... really without knowing anything about it.

Earlier I had read a post that someone said they were going to use the T-70 and T-80. I don't know that person, didn't know anything about the tank... and yet somehow I decided that, yeah, that must be the new "in" tank since it's
    1.) New to me (no clue how long its been in game)
    2.) Soviet - and some obscure line at that
    3.) Because someone else was choosing it over all other tanks to buy and play.

I did no research into penetration rates with Gold ammo or anything. I'm not even sure I understood that it was a light instead of a medium tank.

So, um, yea.

After two random pub battles with it without using Gold rounds I learned really quickly it was a gold-round-only tank (at least it was in the battles I was being placed in - this tier 3 against tier 4's and 5's).

3rd Battle was a clan campaign that I was lucky enough to be trusted for vs. all the other tanks peeps wanted to play:

[​IMG]

It ended up working out.

So the debate started as to if premium T-127's were just as good, if not better, than the T-70 if everyone was using gold. The reasoning was that a premium tank could then use the player's best heavy crew - with all of their perks - to run the tank with.

I offered to test it out against clan-mates' tanks, and created two successive training rooms to test it out. The first one was against NINE (the NUKED player), alone, but in the second training room another guy joined, and they both moved in to attack me as a team.

[​IMG]

Well, that ended that. No T-127's were played during clan wars.

What we did play, on the other hand, was no match for this CRABS clan. Not sure if you guys are aware of them, but this is a seemingly new and very effective clan. NUKED, my current clan, has a range of good players, but some very poor planning and game calling wasted our teams potential. We could have won with this tank line-up, but ...

[​IMG]

Lost against the CRABS clan despite us only having to defend both games. The game calling was so bad that we basically deserted our base and just let CRABS have it the second time (after not learning to defend better the first time). Yes, we played CRABS twice, and only merely had to defend against them - on the same map, from the same side - for two games in a row.

I hate to say it, but I don't think we're going to be in the running to be in the top 30 teams with the lack of strategy and true planning going on - which is sad because we do well in clan wars, and very often have land and earn Gold.

My only respite was that I got to beat and kill a CRAB member's tier 10 in pub matches, and help to beat his team, just before clan battles started. My T-54 still doesn't have either full-sized gun, so I had the potential to do more damage had I been outfitted well. As written earlier, notice that the two CRABS clan members both earned the highest XP's for their team. They are really good players.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19 out of 20 shots hit, and I still didn't get a Sniper award?!?!
  2. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Nice, I was wondering about that. Thanks for sharing.

Although, heavy crew? Someone should have put up a T-50-2 crew and tried with that.
  3. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    IIRC, my T-127 plays like a mini- KV-3 ... which is a heavy.

Slow, and well-armored, but then everyone during these battles should be using Gold rounds. I didn't have one bounced shot out of all practice battles and actual campaign battles with the T-70, so despite the mini-Mauses and everything else peeps were running, if I was in a position to hit them it just didn't matter how they angled.

I'm guessing a T-50-2 crew may have camo, clutch braking, and a gunner who can hit on the move... the T-127 can't move fast enough to make a difference where a T-70 (like mine with a 100% crew, but a poorly skilled crew - one crew member with 65% camo, the other 65% of the way to Sixth Sense) seems capable enough even without extra perks. Despite not really having much of anything going for me, two T-127 crews of far more skills than I couldn't take me down.

Don't get me wrong - look at the damage they did... it was close.

One thing I noticed was the number of completely missed shots at a medium engagement distance the T-127's had even though I wasn't moving at all. That helped a lot, but I don't know if it was the operators (both of them?) or the characteristic of the tanks.

I own a T-127 and don't recall it missing all that much.
  4. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, but it was MN_Smurf's idea. I can add sub channels as needed

I'll get right on that.:lol3
  5. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    But it actually is a light, so 25% skill penalty to the whole crew, or roughly 11% penalty to all tank stats.

I don't care what perks you have. It might be managable in pubs on a bonus weekend, but in a competition? That's just retarded.
  6. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Damn you, Dave, now I have one in the garage too. And it's a fun little beast.
  7. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Wait - is it?!

:lol3

I really don't know. It seems that it's a "Glass Cannon" tank, but having a big gun is always nice.

That's awesome you bought it, lol, but I'm still not sureabout anything with it... the only pub matches i've been in with it seemingly had it tiered as a scout (though within the acceptable range of up to tier 5) since i was at the very bottom for those battles.

I may just keep this one to see how it works. By just looking at it the slope of the frontal armor seems quite steep... so i'd be hoping it will be bouncing regular rounds by most tier 3's it comes up against in pub matches, but i don't know if it will actually do that.

Let me know when you're 20 games into it if you're still having fun with it :D
  8. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Will do. It loaded me as top tank in a largely Tier 2 battle in Karelia last night, so perhaps that colored my view a little. No plans to sell it anytime soon, and I used my old T-50-2 crew in it.
  9. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posted on June 13, 2013 by Silentstalker

Probably the most important news of the day is that after a short time, Vallter is forced to abandon his blog, the very same blog that showed so much promise to eventually replace Overlord’s blog as an official English source of developer info. I wouldn’t really be surprised, if Vallter was forced to stop blogging, so worthless self-righteous lazy morons at WG EU (yes, we all know who I am talking about) were to stay as exclusive information source.

Ah well, that’s what I am here for anyway. So, BIG thanks to Vallter for bringing us nice amount of info (not like those morons at WG EU, who only translated several Storm’s post and they fucked up even that).

Anyway, today’s Q&A:

- the angle for ricochet in WoT is 70 degrees, this actually applies for the bottom of the tank too
    - KV-5 suffering too much with the 8.6 patch? “Don’t play KV-5″ (Storm adds: It’s good for farming. When it comes to profitability, KV-5 is on second place compared to other T8 premium tanks. Storm also adds that which tank is on 1st place is secret, but it’s not T34)
    - Charioteer (20pdr Cromwell) in WoT? “No comment on future branches”
    - Kanonendjagdpanzer in the game? “It doesn’t fit the branches. Otherwise, no comment.”
    - SerB on whether players should buy the new Chinese “112″ premium tank: “You want to buy? Buy it. You don’t? Then don’t. But there are no “pwn all” OP tanks in WoT and there won’t be any”.
    - next few patches will bring something “unusual” (possibly new maps, vehicles and game mechanics)
    - with the introduction of twin-linked guns and multiturret vehicles, Storm states it’s possible that both guns will be able to fire together at the same time
    - according to Storm, the 25 percent RNG was made to make the game more realistic and more interesting
    - in 8.6, enemy tank’s engine sound (SS: which players will be able to hear on 150m distance) won’t be heard, if the enemy vehicle isn’t spotted (SS: this is to prevent “camping and listening”)
    - the gun of the same caliber has a stronger demasking effect on arty vehicles than on tanks and tank destroyers
    - on T-25/2 and Jackson turrets (SS: where one of the turrets is open-topped and the other is covered), the “roof” cover actually works well against arty HE shells, it counts as covered roof, so when an arty shell hits and “slit” between the turret and the roof finds itself in a blast radius of the HE shell, the HE damage won’t pass thru it without any armor check at all.
    - the APCR shells differ from AP shells in following parameters: shell velocity, shell penetration, normalisation and penetration loss over distance
    - SerB earlier stated that the VK3601H konisch regular shells are actually historically subcaliber, they are marked (and treated) as “AP” for players not to be confused, eg. konish silver shells are not getting subcaliber-nerfed in 0.8.6
    - there are no plans to re-work KV-5 armor the way the Superpershing armor is getting reworked. Allegedly there are some different data about the radioman’s miniturret thickness, but Storm doesn’t know about them
    - it is (SS: very theoretically) possible (SS: or rather, not specifically excluded), that Jagdpanzer 38D (with L/70, but also with PAW 1000) and Krupp/Ardelt Waffentragers will be implemented as a part of some German branch (SS: In case you are wondering, Jagdpanzer 38D is a 38t (Hetzer) evolution and PAW 1000 is a German WW2 smooothbore gun, with penetration decent enough for tier 6-7). I wrote more on Jagdpanzer 38d and Waffentrager lines here, including pictures.
    - the amount of credits you get from the battle does depend on whether you win or lose, this goes for premium vehicles too
    - the fact France got late post-war camo does not mean Germany will get a Bunderswehr camo, because Germans have no problems with the amount of camo patters available for implementing.
    - it’s possible some older models have small issues with gun barrel sizes (old M4 was mentioned), this will be corrected during the re-work of all models, which is scheduled at some point

Link: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/06/13/13-6-2013/
  10. Morgue

Morgue Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Secret because it is the type-59?
  11. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    I'd bet on the 8.8 JagdTiger. High DPM, high accuracy, excellent shell dmg/cost ratio. Type needs a bunch of consumables and premium shells to truly excel, whereas the Jagd kicks ass straight off the shelf.
  12. Theaty Hannington

Theaty Hannington Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to someday agree with this statement. 8.8 is my next premium, I believe. If this 5000 gold thing pays off. :deal

Also according to the stats.
  13. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Now wait a minute there, pardner....

you mean to say you gave up on the T-50-2 ?

I mean, as far as a scout tank, it seems the end-all, be all of scouts. I can see someone getting frustrated with their teams' heavy tanks not doing their job, but T-50-2's look fun... did you sell it or just change crews in it?
  14. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna go with what you just wrote.

The guys who used to play Type 59's made them profitable, but by and large the current players are just absolutely horrible at using the tank.

Gosh... believe it or not, Type 59 wolf packs used to be a scourge to deal with - and they very well could be today if players had the knowledge and balls to use them. Instead, the typical 59 player these days plays like the typical medium player ... which is to say they treat them like heavies that merely cover more initial land, but then fight it out frontally with enemies from cover.
  15. Morgue

Morgue Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It is on my short list, only to be bumped by a US TD (hopefully of the same tier).
  16. Theaty Hannington

Oddometer:
    I remember the game before the Type 59 was discovered because I am a hipster like that. But I want to expand a second on what you just said, Dave: I fully believe that the game is balanced well enough that 99% of the tanks in the game can be scourges if played to their strengths. However, 100% of tanks will suck in the hands of, well, me and others like me. In other words, every tank is OP. You just have to play it right.
  17. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Sold it 6 months ago. Everyone told me it was the best tank in the game, I found that not to be true. Admittedly, that was before I had the grasp I do now of how to play a scout, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I suppose I could buy back in any time, if I felt like it... but I'd just as soon find fun tanks that play well at their tier, then run something that everyone else on the field can crush like a bug.
  18. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Good luck with being the scourge in that Russian T-34 and the M3 Lee :rofl

I'd say you have a point, but I've played the Type 59 on another account, and saw the talent it was played with when it was first introduced. If that talent was still playing the game, many current players would probably quit by the time they encountered 59's used correctly.

I've only ever had the chance to play like that with some -G- guys back when I was in a sister-clan of theirs. It felt good. With everyone else I have to tone it down a bit because no-one keeps up.

Understood.

But ... not sure I'd have sold mine as opposed to letting it sit while I ruminated about its roles and my use of it. :hmmmmm

I'm starting to delve in to that realm of professional scouting with the VK2801. I like it, I have done well with it thus far - and I've lost a bunch of games from heavies that lost the games anyway despite having spotting I could only dream of when I play heavies.
  19. Theaty Hannington

Oddometer:
    The M3 Lee is actually quite OP if played right. When played like a mobile AT7, it's a beast. I have 1417 efficiency in it and average more than 1 kill a game -- which for someone sucky like me is a big deal. It has the highest potential DPM of any tank tier 1-5. Just again, bad players play it poorly. :deal

I have yet to try the T-34, but it's on my list. With the bonuses this weekend, I'll probably finally go grab that Marder 2 and Hetzer.

Tankers!
    E3 never fails to introduce World of Tanks to a wider audience. This weekend we're rolling out the welcome mat for the new players that have just joined our ranks. Not a new player? Don't get blow a gasket just yet; we've got plenty of discounts and bonuses to help you enjoy a weekend full of tanking too!
    Event Starts: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) June 14, 2013
    Event Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) June 17, 2013
    Welcome to World of Tanks Weekend

[​IMG] Experience for the First Victory in Every Tank

[​IMG] X2 Crew Experience for Tier VII & Tier VIII Standard Tanks (Tier V & VI Standard SPGs)

[​IMG] 10,000 Each Time the Confederate Achievement is Earned

[​IMG] 100% Increased Credit Income for All Tier II and Tier III Standard Vehicles

[​IMG] 50% Increased Credit Income for All Tier IV Standard Vehicles

[​IMG] 50% Gold Discount on Barracks for Crewmen

[​IMG] 50% Gold Discount on Garage Slots

[​IMG] 50% Gold Discount for the Following Vehicles

II [​IMG] T2 Light Tank
    III [​IMG] M22 Locust

III [​IMG] T-15
    III [​IMG] T-127
    III [​IMG] Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f)
    III [​IMG] FCM 36 Pak 40
  20. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:

That is my main issue with running scout tanks, they do not have the ability to pen or do damage to the larger tanks, thus when you have some idiot heavies then no mater what you do you can not make a difference. I do however like running light tanks (The difference being to me is the gun), I like being able to play a scout tank for the first while then once the tanks are engaged switch roles to a fast flanker and deal some damage/kills. does that always work? no, but dang it sure seems to help.