R80/7 + a newb = a long road to cafe

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by benthic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i will just order some new bolts, I have to order a few other bits and bobs anyway.

Frame! I did check those places already and they look good. I'm going to clean off some gunk a bit more and reinspect, but i think i'm alright. And yes, there is plenty to mask from powder coating - I'm not sure if I do this, or i just tell the powder coater what to mask. I'll ask when I go in to check them out.

I've been giving some thought to some sort of bolt kit. many of my bolts have some pretty tired threads, so I don't want to just plate what I have. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Spencer
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    The cadnium plated BMW fasteners are the best in the business. I would get those if you can while you still can.
  3. RagerToo

RagerToo vroom vroom

Oddometer:
    I recently acquired an '80 R100 and noticed the plated bolts pretty quick. When I first told a buddy about the bike he said "whatya gonna do, part it out?" Ouch.
  4. benthic

Oddometer:
    hi all:)

as i get ready for powder coating I'm going to have the center stand touched up. the bottoms are ground through the tube! but I was inspecting the frame and i noticed the mounts for the center stand are not quite straight. anyone know if this is normal? I suspect it is correct, but just want to be sure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both tabs seemed cocked the same, but I had to repair the threads in the holes so i want to be sure there wasn't more damage. thanks!

I also started to take apart the swing arm. got the final drive off:) will take the bearings out tomorrow. I'm going to take the swing arm to a local bmw dealer to have the shaft pulled (they'll also put it back in for me after powder coat)

[​IMG]

a few frame questions to toss out there - anyone know what the tab is for in the middle of the cross piece below (near the brake lever pivot)? I don't remember taking anything off that.

[​IMG]

how about the tab in between the horn mounts below? Nothing came off that tab either...

[​IMG]

Finally, how about the tab on the bottom of the swing arm? opposite the u-joint?

[​IMG]

there is also a few little nipple like things on the swing arm that I don't know what they are for (forgot to take a picture). Do all these things have uses on other models of bikes? Should/could I grind them off?

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm thoroughly sunburned;)

Spencer
  5. benthic

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

Last night I dropped off my frame and center stand with a local guy for some fixing. He's going to straighten those center stand tabs, fill them, re-drill and re-tap. He's going to fix the hole I made when I cut off the fork lock;) (more of those friendly bad influences at work;), and finally he's going to fix the center stand where the tube has been ground through. Really nice guy - I have high hopes for some good work:)

After that I came home and removed the swing arm bearings. What a clever tool! (thanks to Mike V. for letting me borrow it!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to try to unscrew the shaft bolt but I didn't have a big enough socket so I'm hoping the shop that is going to pull my shaft out will not give me a hard time about the bolt... That's on tonight's menu:)

oh, and here's that picture of the POR15 liner. not my best work. I got a little stripper in the gas cap well so I decided to just paint the well with the POR15. You can see the silver liner through the hole. As I mentioned, it was a pain, and I'm not sure how good a job i did. Time will tell. I'll be keeping a close eye on the filters and will probably drain the tank again in 6 months to check it out.
    [​IMG]

Spencer
  6. Horsehockey

Horsehockey A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer:
    Nice job on that tank. As long as you hit the two key spots: on the base at each petcock opening (where water collects and sits and rots her out) you're good. Doing the fuel filler neck area is good too, because the neck and overfill well are subject to oxidation too + you get to admire your hard work at every fillup. Nice job.
  7. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tab near the brake arm lever is where the rear brake light sensor mounts.
  8. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    tab at top-center for brake light switch, as you know.

tab near center, on crosspiece... no idea at this time.

blaine, you're referring to that tab mounted on the inboard side of the passenger footpeg flange, yes?
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, to be specific, the tab on near the foot peg and exhaust mount is the brake light switch.
    The two tabs on that center piece above and behind the swing arm pivot are just stays for the rear fender. They simply poke into the read fender to line it up properly and prevent it from vibrating all crazy like.
    That weird one in the almost dead center of the picture? You got me, haha
  10. benthic

Oddometer:
    yeah, that's the one I was refering to;) that, and the other 2 i mentioned did not have anything attached to them since I've owned the bike. They must be for something on a different version of the bike?

Thanks all!
  11. benthic

Oddometer:
    I got the shaft pulled out of the swing arm this afternoon at a local BMW shop. Well worth the time. I handed them the swingarm and $40. 10 minutes later they handed me my swingarm, shaft peices and the nut. boom baby. and when the powder coating is done i take the peices back and they'll reassemble for no further charge.

I think i'm going with "steel grey" for the powdercoat color. it's a dark grey and will go well with the orange tank and just about any color i might decide to paint in the future...

this evening I took apart the forks i bought...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yuck. luckily I also have the forks that came off my bike so I have plenty of parts to pick the best from.

Tomorrow I pick up my frame parts:) I can't wait to see how the repairs turned out! And then all the parts will go to the powder coater on Thursday! Exciting!!!

Spencer

PS - i'm still curious about those superfluous tabs if anyone knows what they are for!
  12. Renner

Oddometer:
    :yikes
    What I'm seeing there is fresh inspiration for your frame paint scheme... sort of a mottled rose-orange with flecks of brown and puce.

It's not too late to change your mind regarding that passé gray :nod

You may also consider starting a new thread entitled Superfluous Tabs to gain a larger audience.

seriously, those damper rods look like prime candidates for electrolytic rust removal.

looking forward to seeing the frame repairs & modifications.
  13. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
  14. benthic

Oddometer:
    why do you do this to me Renner?

yeah, disappointing. I'll see how well they clean up:/ the forks that came on my bike actually look really good (clean) except for the fact that the previous owner must not have had a circlip plier thingy and the screw in spacers seem to be a bit stripped... (no pic of that yet). The good thing though, is like you say, i've now learned why we're supposed to change the oil regularly;) This project teaches me so much;)
  15. benthic

Oddometer:
    I just dropped my parts off at the powder coater - RW Little here in San Diego! I'm so excited!

The parts I'm having done are:

frame
    sub-frame
    swing arm
    center stand
    battery box
    handle
    kick stand

all for $255. From what I've heard that is a good price. They told me 5-7 business days, and I hope it is 7 because I'll be out of town a bit next week;)

The repairs turned out fantastic! Spinner, the guy that did the work, exceeded my expectations. If anyone needs some work done (large or small) in San Diego, I can give you Spinner's email via PM. I'll try to post some pictures tonight...

GAH! Even though i have a ton to do in order to get the forks ready, and the engine put back together, and the wheels back together, I'm ITCHING to start reassembling the whole bike. ITCHING i tell you. I don't think they make a cream for this.

Spencer
  16. benthic

Oddometer:
    some photos of the frame repair work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i popped off the ID plate before powdercoat - i'll put it back on after:)
    [​IMG]

My jumble of parts waiting their turn at the PC'er. I feel like a parent leaving their kid at preschool (I don't have kids)
    [​IMG]

good times!
    Spencer
  17. Renner

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumbup
  18. Werner1111

Werner1111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that tab is used on bikes with rear disc brakes, which I believe started in 1978. There is a support bar that runs from that point to the rear caliper. Look up this part number on Max BMW - 34 31 1 236 821.
  19. benthic

Oddometer:
    I picked up the frame and parts today from the powder coater!

[​IMG]

(i'm linking from facebook - i hope this works...)

I didn't unwrap everything yet, but what I've seen looks fantastic... If only I were ready to reassemble! It's been a far to busy few weeks and I did not get done what i wanted while the frame was away.

also. I bought my wife a bike - 1970 Honda CL350.

[​IMG]

It runs but not real well and need some work... but that will be a different thread;)

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
    Spencer
  20. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i dig that frame color, can't wait to see it all put together.
    and super sweet 350!