1986 XR600R Basket case - Hope to revive!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LandsVW, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good!
  2. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Lands
    I'll let you know what I find after I talk Mike tomorrow. Thanks Steve, check arriving shortly
  3. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5e03f5d2f86e9cecf282482b72f86323_zps9b08ebb6.jpg 30df0d60d683f1851198fb4d4c15db68_zpsa9f4e964.jpg More pieces parts and handlebars.
  4. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boiled me some carburetors today. Seems like it did the job 1:1 ratio simple green to water. High heat for 1 hour. Outside on BBQ grill burner. The slide on the primary carb was stuck in. after this procedure was perfect. :clap
  5. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a set of carbs off ebay that both slides were stuck, and of course was not stated in the description. I tried the pine sole soak to no avail, but I didn't heat it up. Ended up re-selling them, but I actually listed then as stuck...
  6. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I recommend boiling them. Even in hot water might do it, but I bought a gallon of simple green and have used it for 3 carbs so far. It might mess up the gaskets and rubber pieces so take as much of those off as possible before the treatment. I think there is 1 plastic piece at the top of the slide that I couldn't get out with the slide stuck. It didnt seem to damage that.

They come out looking pretty.

It made the neighborhood smell like simple green. I was worried the cops were gonna arrive thinking I was cooking up drugs on the back porch!

"no, officer, just boiling carburetors, honest"

Oh yeah if a wife/gf is in your life, don't boil indoors, lol.
  7. Clif

Clif GoEasyStepLightlyStayFree

Oddometer:
    The new bike looks good w/ the gold wheels.
    Always liked that color scheme
  8. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I had the gold rims from the first bike. The white framed bike had silver rims but a red tank and no fenders. The color scheme is accidental but becoming original! The front fender is actually an XL so slightly different. Side panels are white tho, so won't be quite the same as factory.

It's been very therapeutic to figure out what's next, go dig around in the parts drawers or boxes, fix or clean that item and bolt it on.

For what it's worth to all: I have available an original XL600 front brake caliper and hose/line set. I've got a XR600 one heading my way, cheaply, from another inmate so would just like to break (no pun intended) even. PM me for details.
  9. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3178cd3b23293acdb420f2b7b15a7f92_zps613fa07c.jpg Kicked it a few times and not much yet. Gas flowing to the carbs, but haven't explored spark yet. Took a picture and went in for the evening. :)
  10. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been working on it today. No spark. Since I still have multiple electronic parts I started swapping things around. Finally had spark after a cdi swap!

Fire in the hole! Loud backfire so far and then I came inside to eat some curry...

Must. Make. Bike. Run. Today...

Actually the next project is to weld the kickstand so it can come off the bike lift and roll outside.

:clap
  11. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It Runs! It's only idling tho no throttle at all. When throttle is twisted bike dies. I let it idle for about 5 minutes with some seafoam in the gas tank and then turned it off... Obviously still has some carb issues. Starts and idles ok tho.

a0dff3c97b72ba215ebfa8e819345a38_zpsf064737e.jpg

Never too many Hondas in the garage! :clap
  12. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that i know i have all the pieces and a complete bike - My immediate goal is to get the brakes working, get the carbs recleaned or adjusted and maybe some front fork maintenance including boots.

Test and Ride.

Long term is piston and bore to stop the oil burning and piston slap (this was the original engine out of my good bike).

Ride some more.

It will be good to have around for friends and relatives to ride.

I did take the other BRP around the block just because, today.
  13. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    Nice work even if it won't run above idle!
  14. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's in safety mode. :D
  15. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    I've got the stock forks, stock upper and lower triple, a set of bars and stock rear shock that I no longer need. I'm not looking to get much out of them. Send me a PM and we'll work something out.
  16. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  17. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    I just realized I didn't put this in the XR thread but in your thread! And I'm only on my second beer.....
  18. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably a good thing tho. I jumped on it, forgetting that the front caliper isn't connected (steve is sending a brake line) and the back wasn't adjusted. Rolled down the driveway and gave it gas...

Really glad it quit running at that point... I was just starting to freak out realizing my slight miscalculation.
  19. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    Wheelie! No brakes! Neighbors yard excursion!
  20. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ha! And I just replied to it too...SMH. I think MY carb is a little wonky. Carry on everyone - Back to your regularly scheduled XR channel :D