95 R100RT - shed fuel supply

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Madman1, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a problem that comes and goes, bike will run for a while, then run on 1 cylinder is seems like, and than stop.
    During the winter a got the bike dual-plugged, and also fitted a SilentHektik ignition system.
    I adjusted the ignition and testdrove a week ago, bike seemed to run better than ever. Next morning drove off for work, bike stopped after 5 min drive. I suspected the rotor bolt, where the ignition signal is picked up, to have gotton loose. It sure didn´t take much force to unscrew it. So new adjustment, and bolt fastened with correct force, 25nm.
    Today I was gonna test again, it ran 200 meters. Hmm. I hr later I´m gonna chech the ignition with a lamp. It´s right on the mark. So I dress up, planning to go for 2-3 hrs. After 7-8 min., the problems are back. Loosing power, seems like I run one 1 cyl. Turns around trying to make it home. Stops on the side of the road. Right float chamber is dry, seems to be lower than usual in the left one too. With ignition on, not a drop of fuel flowing into the chamber.
    I friend picks me up. I´m starting to suspect the fuel shed system;
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0469&mospid=51666&btnr=16_0241&hg=16&fg=13
    Back home, ignition on, fuel flows again.
    On a bike without this system, european, and older american, does the fuel line run directly from the petcock to the carburator? Or are the sides connected?
    I understand it´s not uncommon to remove the system. Anybody else experienced problems with the ¨shed¨ system?
    There are 2 valves in the ¨shed¨. Are the output lines connected? If so, if 1 valve failed, I should have gotton half of normal fuel flow?
    Hans
    Norway
  2. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    Simplest explanation is a plugged vent line.. Once the bike builds up a vacuum, The fuel stops flowing...

I'd just take the fuel system apart.. If it's still got the solenoid valves and stuff I'd ditch all that...

Check fuel flow at each of the fuel taps.. Get some new fuel line and two T's... And a couple of in line fuel filters...

fuel comes from each tap to T #1, The T#1 connects to T #2 and the two lines from that T go to the carbs...

Throw in a couple of in line filters and you're golden....Get the see thru kind so you can see the fuel thru them...

Make sure your vent line is not plugged..Take gas cap off.. Blow into vent line ..

When mine runs out of gas it drops one cylinder and the second about a couple hundred yards later...

Good Luck...

John.
  3. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, will look into that.
    Hans
  4. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The vent line was hard to mount this time, ended up in a 90 degree bend. So I´ll correct that. I don´t fully understand the system, but I thought venting came through the fuel cap also.
    Hans
  5. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was draining the tank, soon gas flow slowed down. Got rid of the bend in the vent hose, flow restored. I think problem is solved. That drain hose need to work properly, lesson learned for me. Thanks for all replies.
    Hans
  6. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I just glanced through your post Madman but your bike still has the fuel shed system? Take it off ASAP. That very well could be the only issue. They act up regularly. It's a miracle it is still on there and was working at all. Plus, those two solenoids suck at least a whole volt out of your charging system. There is articles on how to disconnect it. Do it right and take the whole setup off and go get two fuel line tee's and reroute your crossover under the airbox. The two disconnected lines on the main harness just plug into each other and you are done. You might have other issues but that shed system is junk and it WILL fail if it hasn't already. It sounds to me like it very well could be the shed crap. Good luck!
  7. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had not mounted the vent hose correct. Will do some measurements on how much the system draws. January issue of BMWON mention it in the Parkhouse article. The valves on a 95 might be better than the early ones, at least can't hear any noise (clunk) from them. The environment is important too, so will leave them on for no. Thanks for the advice anyway!
    Hans
  8. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    They are the same valves on a 95. They draw a lot of current and make your bike very unreliable. The setup makes your bike greener just setting there with gas and oil in it. They are greener yet never running. :D
  9. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    If youre smart, you'll dump that whole Shed system and go back to a simple cross-over inder the Air cleaner. It's simple and it works better that what BMW came up with way back when to pass US regs.

If you can save a volt by removing those valves, do it. Any time you can get a free volt on an Airhead, get it. Someday youre gonna need it!

Get your bike running in tip-top shape and let the environment take care of itself. Youre already riding a motorcycle, for Dogs sake! :lol3
  10. Darryl's bmw

Darryl's bmw Darby

Oddometer:
    Where can I find the article on removing the Shed System?