Why do BMWs' cost so much to run??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Domromer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a look at his post history. It's a "Funduro" from the late '90s. I don't know a lot about them, but it's a thumper so IF it's carb'd, there's only one so he couldn't possibly have "pulled the carbutaros off my F650". A friend's wife has one with over 100k miles on it. Very dependable for the 7-8 years they've owned it.

So the troll doesn't like his 15 year old bike because it requires maintanance. Huh...go figure.

WTF is "carbutaros" anyway? Sounds like mexican food
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    An 05 R1200GS with those miles sounds like a good bike to me. Don't sweat the maintenance as it is very simple. Rust, no biggie. Price seems good to me, so long as it has some panniers, drop $500 if not.

Jim :brow
  3. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wrong on the "Honda" DR650... and yes, it is a f650 funduro, carburated. I'm a short legged guy and I can only ride low bikes. I also have a 1100rt and 1200c (both fuel injected) that are easier to upkeep and repair. Don't mistake, and lets call it as is, I like to ride BMW's, but they require a hell of a maintenance and a budget. Maybe it is because I ride them hard (>30,000 miles/year), and I take the funduro through very challenging dirt roads and trails... for sure I don't baby them!

I have a couple of riding buddies with japanesse bikes, that the only thing thy do is fill-up with gas and change the oil every 3-4k miles. That's not my case...!
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You might want to look around, my sigline, and see that maintenance on the R1100/1150/1200 is really not bad. Oil changes every 6K, check the valves, change the trans and FD fluid every 24K. Not much else but stuff that all bikes need, like brake fluid changes and the usual little stuff.

5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever change oil on a KTM thumper? Rhetorical question. You haven't, or you wouldn't be comparing to F650 maintenance.
    Ever see one with 50k miles on it? Yeah...niether has anybody else
  6. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I've heard it's crazy.. Just for shits and giggles could you elaborate.
  7. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    The senior coffee at McDonalds is cheaper than Starbucks.

Cut corners where you can.
  8. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son was all about how superior his KTM 400 was to my DRZ and one oil change later he's got that thing for sale...:D

Anyone else want to tell me how I can't loose getting a 05 1200GS @ $7,500...:evil
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Does it have servo assisted brakes? 7 year old bike.. When the servo goes, you lose... about $2000 to replace it. :lol3
  10. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance, all the labels on the switches were gone, what does a red light on the top of the switches on the clutch side of the handlebars mean?
  11. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disabled as in switched off or failed...?
  12. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ABS light on the 'dash' is on prior to start but then goes off to the best of my recollection...
  13. IJM

IJM Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer:

On the '05 I thought that was the switch for the Hazzards.
  14. tps

tps Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually... the F650 Funduro has twin carbs... and yes, it's a thumper.:kboom
  15. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Hum

I've had the Funduro, a 97 it never needed anything... oil and tires.

I have a 01 650gs, it hasn't needed much oil, tires and chain/sprockets.

Yes the R bikes are much eaiser to work on.

equipment of any kind requires maintenace. Your buddies on their Jap equipment just ain't telling the full tale, and none of em will own their bike over 100K/or keep em 20+ years

Just sayin apples oranges
  16. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is since I started this thread I keep getting private messages from people telling me how much they love thier BMW's but have spent an arm and a leg in repairs. It seems the concensus is people either get a good one or a bad one. I think after reading all this I'm going to stick with good old Japanese bike reliability. I've always loved the look and features of the GS series but as one private message put it. " all those guys in the magazines that vote for it as bike of the year don't own one. They don't have to deal with all the repairs and expense." this is coming from current bmw owners not a disgruntled past owner. For me I'm just not willing to pay the high cost of admission for a bike with so many "possible" or "known" issues.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Come on GB, you know as well as I do that this fear never became the epic issue it was said it would be. As a matter of fact the new (07+) ABS units seem to break more often.

Just to put my money where my mouth is, I recently purchased my third 05 R1200 with servo-ABS. Never an issue.

18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    On the 05 there is a red switch on the left handle that is lit that is for the flashers. Later models removed it and used the turn signals to activate the flashers.

19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Tick tock, tick tock... sooner or later, the servos will crap out. :lol3 It was a solution looking for a problem!! For a noob considering a GS, I'd say get one without servos to avoid a nasty surprise later. If it was such a good idea, bmw would have kept using them.. power assisted brakes on a car proved to be a good idea.. on a bike? nope.
  20. GSgeorge

GSgeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GB...Are you saying: Anybody that has a 05 06 1200 gs,has a piece of crap?:cry It's Technology(They are always moving forward),Just like they moved on with a new water cooled engine. Who knows,maybe they are working on a whole new power brake design?:1drink