BMW R1200GS Adv vs. KTM 990 Adv R

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RZRob, Apr 17, 2010.

1. drapes17

drapes17 Keep on trucking

Oddometer:
    I ride 11 GSA , my pal rides a 990adv r , both are great bikes and we have done main land Mexico, baja , Grand Canyon , just got back from cabo etc , Over 25k so far on it He had to put larger tanks on the Ktm to get the same mileage as GSA so it changed his center of gravity so he took more naps ! It's also a lot taller it seems so he has also dropped a few times when stopping in uneven ground , I'm not bashing his bike it's great but after a hard days ride he gets off like John Wayne , he's also spent big bucks on about 4 or 5 seats and still hasn't found a good one That he likes . I agree off road the Ktm is seems better but as we spend 80% on tar he regrets not buying a GSA . It all depends on what you use it for . With upgraded suspension , windshield ,tanks ,etc he's paid more than a stock GSA . If I had the cash I'd buy 900adv for 50/50 and GSA for 70/30 but for me the GSA seems middle ground .
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I've owned five BMW motorcycles over my 39 years of riding. I've replaced drive shafts on two of them, And final drives have required re-building on two of them. Two of those BMW's went past 100,000 miles. This latest has rolled past 187,000 miles.
    This last BMW is working its way through the third drive shaft in that time. The final drive bearings have been replaced four times, so the fifth set.
    This bike has been the most expensive bike to run per mile of all my bikes. Including the Norton.

This BMW is my last BMW. My next bike will likely be a thumper and not have ABS. But, that decision isn't going to be made until I'm done wearing the parts out on this bike, and I can no longer afford to by replacement parts or fix/rebuild others.

The last drive shaft I bought cost around $800 by the time I opened the box in my garage. I've ridden a couple of 990's and I liked them fine. I know I'll hate working on them after the BMW. But, every time I bleed the brake fluid I'll smile. And no more melting the rear light.
  3. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OneWheelDrive.net did a three part series called "Arctic Challenge", comparing the R1200GS Adv to the KTM 990 Adv and the F800GS a while back. Besides being a very entertaining read, I think it was a pretty unbiased review of the bikes. I found it very helpful when I was making my decision. In the end, they're split on which bike they liked best based on what they were personally looking for in a bike.
  4. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    How many KTMs have you seen on a iron butt ride? :rofl
  5. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most definitely the better question is to ask what kind of rider are you. The bike may as well be medication for a illness. You need to be prescribed the right one. I'm a 70/30 2 up rider (70% solo), 70/30 off/on road (70% slab). The doctors say's GSA. I've ridden a KTM and was really impressed. More nimble, more low range power. I ride my GSA, I drove the KTM.

These conversations about what is best are really dumb. How can I tell you what is best for you. Know the bike, know your needs, the decision is then easier.

Are there times when my GSA is too heavy and I find myself nose down in a muddy road, sure! Just as there are time when that KTM driver is clenching his ass cheeks after a 10 hour ride. I have yet to find one that does it all. Find the one that fits the majority of your needs the best.
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Man. You're taking all the fun outta it. :D
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Actually, I don't think so.
    Magazines don't buy their own bikes, pay off the loan and live with the damned things for years. Mile after mile. THey get goven a broken in bike and allowed to thrash it like a rented mule to just this side of death.

We of this community mostly go buy a bike based on how stupid we are at the time, how the tea leaves read or what out dog seemd to like best.
    Or not.

I don't own a car I get to drive much other than on vacations with the family or the odd weekend jaunt. I ride my motorcycles as tools, rather than toys.

Mostly.
    That's not to say I don't have fun. Every hump and crest of a hill is a chance to lighten that front wheel.
    I need to minimize wear.:evil

So, I went out and bought what I wanted next. After almost a year of searching I found one that would work.
    And that I thought would do the job at hand. Which in my case is pretty varied but basically boils down to making me smile.
    The Adventure has done that, mostly. Sure it has left me waiting on a truck in a parking lot or damned near the middle of a fucking freeway.:eek1
    But, it has been an Adventure and it is fun, and makes me smile. It still starts and wheelies, jumps and slides.
    I've loaded it up and swung a leg over it as the sun rose on the west coast and stepped off and lugged it up onto the centerstand in time in Denver to watch Leno. I've ridden sand and two track single track and what I would think were hiking trails had I not known they were OK for us to be there. :huh
    And still after all these miles and dumping all this money into parts and those hours in the garage replacing this and that and swearing as that damned Shaft refuses to align. Still I look forward to the next ride.
    I think the next bike has a pretty damned big pair of shoes to fill when that day comes.
    For now there are still parts I can afford. So tomorrow I'm off to buy some more. But, the bike will wheelie, jump and slide.

And most importantly make me smile.

For the next, next one I've narrowed that down too. I won't need quite the same size as I do now. I figure a little less will be more in the way of fun. Where, I've had, two, maybe one?
    Time will tell, which way the dice will roll or the cards fall.

In the end I'm pretty certain I'll have another Adventure though maybe small.

8. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. Meant taking all the fun outta the Internet bitching. By being right. In other words, I couldn't agree more. ;) It is much more about the rider than the bike. Always has been and that is how it should be. IMO.
  9. Scottishman

Scottishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had two KTM two strokes. Still have one, and I love it. Outstanding in the dirt.

I am newer to road riding. Had a K 1200S. Great machine. Last year bought a S1000RR. Incredible. 193 HP. Fast, smooth and comfortable. My GS is the best of both worlds. The RR is a rocket, but I am faster over 150 km in the GS. Recognize I am new to this. But for longer distance, the GS rules. I am going to South America in October, and feel comfortable in that choice. Tried out a KTM Adventure last year, and found it buzzy and not as comfortable.

For me, it comes down to the intended usage. KTM is the best dirt bike, bar none.BMW GS is fabulous on the LD road. Track, the RR will wins, or if you want an acceleration fix.

One size does not fit all.
  10. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    I sold my RSV4 last year because I was doing more touring on it then I should and my back and a$$ were starting to take a beating. I bought a R1150 GS Adventure, Its not anywhere close to the power of the Aprilia but if you want that sort of power in an upright bike I would go with the 1200 Multistrada myself.
  11. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience on the KaTooM, I like my beemers (have three). My all time favorite bike is the GSA. It does everything, and does most things I ask of it very well. The 10" deep sand here on the island is an issue with this behemoth, but I can't say my best friend on his 990R fares much better in it. I can say this the only Beemer that has left me stranded is the /5, and I can forgive a 40 year old bike for needing a break, and really it's issue was ethanol, more then mechanical.

My best friend has a 990R. He loved it until he road my GSA for a day, now he is trying to sell it for a GSA. By the way Orange Crush, has it's own fair share of threads of mechanical difficulties.
  12. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    BMW's have bigger jugs! :clap
  13. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Ya but Guzzi jugs are big and pert, not drooping like an old German granny.
  14. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    those guzzi jugs have hairy nipples :D
  15. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Just don't have many Beemer guys (wasting their time) pointing em out:evil:rofl

I ride what I ride.
  16. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Wait and try the new KTM 1190, that will be a much more fair comparison.
  17. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Hey, so do I.:huh:eek1:D
  18. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dad found the bmw to be to heavy. And to high in the seat for off roading and being able to safely go two up (cant get his feet down being a short 5.8) So he go a ktm 990 and loves it able to go two up with loads of kit and found it ligher and a bit lower in the seat as he is just 5.8tall
  19. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to say that the GSA was the one to rule them but now after 8000miles on a 990 ADV I'm definitely not sure.
    My 990 had a Seat Concept saddle and an extra gel pad and thus equipped I found it more comfortable than my GSA!!!
    The KTM gearbox is lovely, but the brakes so so.
    And I missed the petrol gauge.
    I adjusted the chain once in 6500 miles and lubed it every other 400 miles or so, so a good chain is not a big maintenance deal.
    Any way I'm happy: I have one of each :D
  20. L21

L21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    + 1 :freakyYou need one of each:clap rattis x is right.