Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by RebRider, May 27, 2011.

1. RebRider

RebRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    okay we need to set up place and time... to make the swap straps for Lucky Duck.

2. RebRider

Oddometer:
    I suggest the illegal border between your state and mine.... US 11 or maybe some back road. i know...how about the bridge from your tag and my grab in Brucetown...:evil

3. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
    He's not joking people...:johntm
  4. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    OK, the ransom's been negotiated, and I've agreed to drop the duck someplace secure, and where the tag players and /or the tag-o-rama intervention team can't nab me. So. Go gitcher duck.

Clues. Lots of clues means yer playin' to a dumb audience. I'd like to think ya'll are a clever lot. I mean, Panhandle Ping Pong [tag] is like playing hide and seek in a phone booth, right? If you can't figger out the clues and just head outa the house with a quart of gasoline in the bike, yer likely to find the tag, right? So, in staying with the rules, the duck is.....

a. The tag can be on any type of road and road surface (i.e.: Highways, Byways, Forest service road) No interstates or "fee/pay" areas. Check

b. Tag should not be more than 50 feet off the road and must be on public property, (don’t need to have any one going to hospital to remove rock-salt from their arse). Check. The tag is right in the middle of the road. Or bridge. Or lack of bridge.
    c. Should be placed on a prominent geologic feature or road intersection (historical markers, old building, bridges, waterfalls, etc). Check. This tag features a very prominent lack of bridge.

d. If the tag is placed on a rough gravel or dirt road, mention it so someone on a street bike will have a heads up. HEADS UP! The end of this road is rougher than a sandpaper thong. Dual sport / good sport bike rider, OK. If you are inclined to git to Mathias on a Gold Wing, via Crooked Run, maybe. This ain't no place for the 'Lectra Glide.

The duck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The money shot:

[​IMG]

Up to the hubs in water, or you will be branded with one of these :ymca

Three feet further out and you'll be up to the clutch lever. DAMHIK.

[​IMG]

It's a river crossing. You can see where the road continues on the other side.

[​IMG]

Chance to test your waterproof boots. Mine leak over the tops.

[​IMG]

The creek's up a bit. I suspect it's been higher.

This Creek's headwaters begin at Farmer's Gap in Great North Mountain. It flows northwest along the western edge of Burnt Ridge off the mountain. It turns toward the northeast and the creek flows along the western flanks of Great North Mountain with White Pine Ridge bounding it to its west. There. That should "clue" you as to the right crick. As far as the road, what direction was the Land of Nod from Eden?

5. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Leave it to vatrader01 to come up with one of the most imaginative tags.

Caution: Genius at work. :lol3
  6. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    OK. Just this once....I'm typing slow...

For the Short Bus ridin' tag players....

This creek intersects with roads nine times within the boundaries of the game. The reference of the "direction" in regards to the Land of Nod and Eden is critical in that it could be referenced again should you try to figure out which of the nine roads is the right one.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to figger out where the duck is.......

The creek and roads cross each other nine times in the given play area. How many of those nine crossings uses the directional reference used when describing where The Land of Nod lies in relation to Eden?

Clear as muddy water? :lol3
  7. RebRider

Oddometer:
    okay... i guess i should just say the wheels on the bus go round and round...:rofl

8. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Got it! HUH?? That sign says, "Highway". That must be figurative..:huh

9. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    In American law, the word "highway" is sometimes used to denote any public way used for travel, whether major highway, freeway, turnpike, street, lane, alley, pathway, dirt track, footpaths, and trails, and navigable waterways. This road matches a few of those descriptives. Vaguely.

In practical and useful meaning, a "highway" is a major and significant, well-constructed road that is capable of carrying reasonably-heavy to extremely-heavy traffic.

I suspect either the State Sign Shop didn't have a sign that read "Bi-way", the Sign Shop Crew needs better supervision, or more likely, for the goat trail to be eligible for a certain charitable Babe Ruth of Pork Barrel's Federal funding, it was labeled a "highway".

Roadway terminology clarification, politics and speculation, along with the thrilling adventures of Lucky the Duck, all here on Panhandle Ping Pong. :lol3
  10. RebRider

Oddometer:
    VATrader,
    Since it seems that lucky has been let go and just needs to be rescued (maybe by some lurking panhandle folks or others near by), how do you want to get them there ransom straps you have coming to ya.
    Since you didn’t want them around your neck :hung
  11. RebRider

Oddometer:
    GRAB - Pong

"EAST" Ganotown road 7/19- Back Creek in Back Creek Valley....
    Lucky was glad to be rescued.
    [​IMG]

Water in my boots too!!! should have checked the bottom out more...alot of mud/sediment thought i was going to get stuck.. :eek1 I dont have the tires like some of the inmates.

[​IMG]

New TAG - Ping

The tag is ~18 miles (in keeping with the rules :deal) would have been further but was short on time....will try to move it alot further next time....

It is in the 3rd county of the tag (barely)

[​IMG]

Lucky is in a good hiding place near the bottom of this historical marker with two different sides, one of the sides is below,

[​IMG]

Hiding place/money shot - now you see Lucky ----

[​IMG]

No you dont:

[​IMG]
  12. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
  13. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Grab:

Presidential Dr. along Rt. 9 just north of Hedgesville.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some vultures circling around, but I was able to get Lucky to safety!

[​IMG]
  14. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Beings this county is a renown Karst region, there are springs everywhere and some find their way here. Not far from here is a town named after a popular game, or it could be the other way around??? This road though dead ends at a powerful structure that is into DC, but not near it.

The money shot:

[​IMG]

Lucky Duck is perched on the rock face to the left.

[​IMG]
  15. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
  16. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    See, we need to respect the little critters.:wink:
  17. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
  18. RebRider

Oddometer:
    Elroy - Many thanks for the Tag-Map. :clap nice tag... okay now lets see if we have anyone lurking out there to join in the fun of the Eastern Panhandle TOR....:rofl

EPWVTOR Tag Map

VAtrader - looks like you still had some fun even if you have two pair of wet boots....where about were you....? BTW will still give you straps... Probably best not to tell lady friend that you know people who belong to the other PETA... People Eating Tasting Animals. :pot... and better not ever show her the cat-herder II camp-out thread about Martin. :eek1
  19. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Reb,

I think this should be an easy grab for the locals and I too am hoping some EP inmates will get off their easychairs. With the WVTOR being generally 100miles plus out yonder for several years now, no doubt most have lost interest in tagging by now.

Good thing some cat-herders have been still active in the region and the new game has been great fun so far!:D Gonna watch that NVATOR more closely. :evil

Still haven't figured out who the guy was that rolled by Presidential on a vintage Jap 4, saw me making the grab and turned around a left. He missed a gear as he left (false neutral, hate those). Do remember that. Wondered if he was a local tryin to get in the game???:ear
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer: