Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Assembly report.

Ok, I saw that I was going to miss the Saturday cutoff for shipping, and this was a 3-day weekend. (I'm hoping that will sort of explain itself. :D ) The delivery dates will push up a couple days, But I still might be able to pull off the overall schedule. Anyway, I got back this afternoon and am just finishing up a 10-hour shift building these IICE Airs. It's 5am here and I'm calling it a day.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Can I watch the non-Texans doing the judging. :eek1 That would be worth the cost of a trip to Texas. :lol3
  3. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

No problem, whats another week! Get some rest..................................ok enough :lol3
  4. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was one of the initial testers of the Booster Plug on Triumph Tigers. Lots of guys said it was fantastic but I didn't see much difference. All the Booster Plug does is fool the ECU about the air box temp. I'll admit I didn't read ALL the posts on the IICE Air but it sure looks like it is doing the exact same thing only with multiple negative thermistors rather than BP's one. Am I wrong???? Did I miss something????
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Well I think for starters they are two different motorcycles, the air-cooled GS and the water-cooled Triumph Tiger I mean. But that's too easy, so let's get into it a little.

Just to clear this up, "Lots of guys" on which bikes? Tigers, or air cooled BMWs like the S and GS?
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  6. jadoca

jadoca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give everyone who is still waiting on the Aire there money back. On with the COOL!
  7. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Heh heh, oh sure! :D So who's going to fight off those people? I ain't getting in that cage! :lol3

<BR>
  8. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...maybe we need another cattleguard drag race:evil...SOG does not know CHILI:deal Might be able to distinguish a McRib from real Q on good day:lol3
  9. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    PICK ME! PICK ME!!! If I need help, I will get BigDaveGS:evil
    PS: Cost ya a COOL...lol
  10. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I'll volunteer. I know the difference between brisket done over Oak versus done over Hickory. :wink:
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:

Yeah. Pick those two. I'm not in their weight class (or height class). At 6'3" 244 I look like a pygmy. Technically speaking, they is some giant MF's.
  12. TuefelHunden

Oddometer:
    Lets do clear some things up. Number one the BP on the Tiger was the exact same gismo as on air cooled BMWs only with a different negative slope thermistor. The BP changes the data going to the ECU whether one, two, or 50 cylinders taken (water, air, or oil cooled) from the incoming air stream so that the ECU will make adjustments accordingly. That sure sounds like what the IICE is doing. That has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Tigers or GS's and everything to do with their EFI. Those lots of guys were on Tigers. In about 45 years of riding I have noticed a thing or two about new gismos. When new they always seem to get enthusiastic reviews. After a while people tend to look at things more objectively.
    I asked a simple question, do the BP and IICE work in a similar manner? Bet I don't get that answer.
  13. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Bet you do.

If you did read the thread you'd see the similarities between the BP and the Aire have been discussed, and also the differences (adjustability for one). You'd also see the purpose of this device is to work with the next device, the "cool".

I suspect you're not here investigating a purchase decision. Go piss in somebody else's cheerios.
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Actually if you read the FAQs and review the millions [ok not really that many...] of posts you will see that the end game on both is similar but the IICE has adjustments to dial in what is best for your bike, the way you ride it, where you ride it and when you ride it...I have had a BP on my '07 GSA for sometime and it helped a great deal to smooth out the slow speed throttle response, less snatching when in slow speed tight, uphill climbs...and to a lesser degree to help it run cooler...I now have an IICE to install in place of the BP because I want the ability to change fuel/air depending on where and when I am riding...my riding is almost 100% off road and much of that is 2 gear stuff at low RPMs under load....

Sorry your Tiger didn't benefit from a BP...try one on your GS or GSA and get back to us...:wink:
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Just for shits and giggles, I used the "search this thread" function using "boosterplug" and "booster plug" as the search query and poolside as the author. Found plenty. Could have tried "BP" too, I guess.

Here's one result.

Gee. Took me all of 15 seconds to find several posts. <!-- sig -->
  16. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I also found this report which tells us a little about where tuefel's head is.

Search function is a bitch.

Things are becoming clear. His experience with a different product on a different bike is superior to our experiences here. And he's here to tell us what fools we are in believing the scam.

Yeah. Right. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I run my bike WFO as much as anyone I know. I have tested acceleration, roll on, and top speed more times than I can count. Before and after install. Hell. Every time I get on it is a WFO test. lol

My bike just flat runs better with this device. Period. But, yeah. I am just a little crazy. At least he got that part right. ;)

On to the Cool!!!
  17. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    I'm reminded of a quote from the late 1800's…

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Rev. William H. Poole 1879

JJ
  18. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    All of these are summarized and referenced in POST 1 of THIS thread:deal
  19. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    First off: Poolside (and Marketing), we all owe you a :freaky

I finally got to install my IICE Air last night, and tested it today. My bike is a stock 2005 R1200GS. I rode to lunch on the -0°C setting, and then switched the jumper over to -20°C for the trip home. Long story short: This thing works.

It wasn't a, "Hey, I just picked up 10 HP!" difference, but the bike definitely accelerates more strongly and smoothly, especially in the 3,000-5,000 RPM range. I also found that it's much easier to lift the front wheel in first gear!

I guess the best way to describe it is, my bike just seems "happier." Calmer. Strong, but less frantic. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that my low fuel warning light came on only minutes after riding off with the IICE Air "switched on"... :lol3

BTW, Poolside, I don't know what you do "for real," but the IICE Air is one professional looking piece of kit. The leads were just the right length for easy installation and the unit takes up almost no room. Plus, swapping settings is as easy as popping off the seat. Count me in on the IICE Cool!

[​IMG]
  20. TuefelHunden

Oddometer:
    Like Mr. Hannum said, "A sucker is born every minute." Both of these products are cheap work band aids to doing the real fix, a re-map. The BP was actually the third item in the snake oil line for Triumphs. The first was sold as FRK, again developed for what ---- BMW's and then used on Triumphs. The guy claimed it had a CPU in it. We had several electrical engineers on that forum who not only caught the FRK developer in a bunch of lies but came up with phase two, a DIY item called DOCTR. Then came BP. Again, the principal behind all of these items is to put a new temperature curve on the air temp sensor to fool the ECU. Anyone who deals with ECU maps will tell you that playing with one sensor is not the way to fly. Although it works for some, the real solution in the Tiger world was the ability to get a free program called TuneECU where they could remap the ECU, change ignition timing and A/R ratio's across the RPM spectrum. BMW's aren't that lucky. Power Commanders and similar boxes are only solutions. Go do some research and find out how the stuff works.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.