If you could do it all over again: R1200GS vs...GSA vs. HP2

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BMW-K, Apr 16, 2008.

?

So, if you could do it all over again, which would you buy?

1. R1200GS

2. R1200GSA

3. HP2

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HBRDR

HBRDR Invisible Rider

Oddometer:
    I bought a new 05 R1200GS in Dec 04. I put 18,000 miles on it the first year. Mostly commuting and long weekend rides with a few 3 day weekend trips. Last summer I saw a local used HP2 wit 2000 miles on Ebay with a 15k starting bid. I decided to open the bidding and was shocked in that I was the only bidder. I did not expect to win, but it was the best mistake I ever made as far as bike purchases go. I love it. I still have the R1200GS and it just had a major 36k service. I am riding it to work and an occasional weekend ride, but the HP2 gets 90% of the fun seat time. I have a couple older Beemers in the garage as well, so I spread out the miles, but I strongly gravitate toward the HP2 when I enter the garage. If I could only have one, I could make the HP2 work for me.
  2. GS_AP

GS_AP Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought an '06 GS and passed on the GSA because I thought it was going to be just a bit too heavy and too tall. It sure looked bad ass though. I really haven't found the gas to be an issue and the GS has done just fine w/ the offroad miles I've put on it. I am absolutely amazed at how well it performs on the road and I therefore feel its flexibility is unmatched. That being said, the GSA and HP2 scream out to me longingly and I always wondered if I made the right choice. Reading this confirms that at least for me I made the right decision. I HAVE to ride it everyday (poor baby!!) so I needed the one that is the most flexible, not the most extreme.
  3. FahrtMeister

FahrtMeister Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I could have two bikes, I'd have a GSA and a HP2. As I can only have one, its the GS.
  4. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    I've owned them all. The one that remains is the 12GS ADV.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess "which would you buy?" is a valid question, but this thread suggests that these are comparable bikes. It is like comparing a KTM 640 to a Suzuki V-Strom. The bikes aren't in the same category at all. We might as well ask "do you miss the dirt, or the street?"

The votes on this thread tell me that road-oriented riders are happy they bought a GS touring bike that isn't too scary to ride on gravel.

The HP2 is incredibly capable and flexible in all situations with 50/50 dirt tires. Throw on some 17" wheels, street rubber, and a fairing...and you have an incredible road bike.

I would ask the question " Would you buy a GS, GSA, V-Strom, Triumph Tiger, or Aprilia Caponord ?"

or maybe
    "Would you buy HP2 or KTM Super Enduro?" because those are the only 2 bikes in that category. It just happens that those two bikes are incredibly capable on the tarmac as well.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Only the BMWs and the V/Wee-Stroms are really dirt capable in any real sense, so it depends on if you want to ride only on the road or not.

Now the KTMs, that is a different comparrison, and more valid to me.

Jim :brow
  7. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done the same.
  8. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... it would have to be the GS.

(does anyone here remember turkey tom and the gs international club???... that was his line)

last year, i had the choice of trading my 1150GS for an R12GS or GSA, or selling my R69S and buying an HP2. I chose the latter and kept my 1150.

after riding a significant number of miles on the R12GS and GSA, I have to say I am still liking the 1150 for the continent crushing bike that it is.

my HP2 is set up with an hpn tank, jesses and tourances, but it wouldn't be my choice for a 10K trip, unless it was one like helge's. i just wish i could keep knobbies on it for more than 800 miles.

but *if you could only have one* it would have to be the GS... even if it were an R12. The GSA is just too damn big/heavy.

plus, i have my G/SPD+ with its 9.2 gallon tank for those loooooong days. :)
  9. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    No choice HP-2. Do everything go anywhere. Bike camping,road trips,and offroad long distance and no complaints. No windscreen-no special seat-no heated anything. Just smiles.
  10. Bikeforever

Bikeforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over 40 years on all types of motor cycles. Had a 1150GSA and have ridden the 1200GS. I have put 2500 miles in the last two months since getting my used HP2. This is the bike I have dreamed about for ever. It is not be the long distance bike that the GSA is, but the HP2 is the fastest, best handling (with S/M setup), fells like a dirt bike compared to the GSA and the most fun bike I have ever ridden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At 56 years old I pull a little wheelie 1<SUP>st</SUP> or 2nd gear going to work every day.
    I envy you younger guys that have the ability to ride the HP2 to it limits.
  11. tiorio

tiorio Battle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Timely thread...I was just pondering this exact question yesterday on my way to work. The reality is that I commute an hour and a half a day and love my 07 GSA for that, and for the semi-occasional detour to the dirt. It's nice and high, but it's also WIDE which makes (legal in CA) lane splitting more of a chore.

But I LOVE the dirt and although I don't get there as often as I'd like, the GSA is a HUGE damn bike. That's good and bad overall, but bad in the dirt.

I like the telelever front, and the ABS but only because I can do stupid stuff without thinking about it much. That is also good and bad, mostly bad but good fun.

Heated grips are nice here in the frigid CA winter (ha ha), I don't carry luggage and although I dream of 'the big trip' it's more likely to happen on a sailboat with my wife and young kids than on a bike.

Long story short? I need to ride an HP2. I think a purer, simpler, FASTER MORE WHEELIE MORE DIRT LESS WEIGHT future may be ahead of me...
  12. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden a GSA or an HP2. I do like the bigger tank of the GSA and the beefier look it gives it. Other than that I am more then happy with my GS, its the best bike I have ever ridden.
  13. Bikeforever

Bikeforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I went off on my new bike tangent.
    My GSA was an unbelievable road bike. It has the protection of an RT and a gas tank that will take you any where. Two up riding is grate and you can load it down like a pack mule. These are all faults of the HP2.
    I still like to ride the single track and if I were capable of handling it I would have a GSA. The HP2 for me is a bike that loves to be ridden hard and if this is not you thing then the HP2 is definitely not the Best Bike.
  14. rwoo56

rwoo56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GS - HP2 - GS - GSA
    should have bought GSA all along... GS is nice and "safe" decision. HP2 was raw & fun. Adventure is my favorite - does 90% of what my GS did, 70% of what my HP2 did AND 90% of what my R1200RT did. if you have to have one bike.....
  15. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:

Agree have done the same myself. 1200gs to 1200rt with HP2 now 08 adventure:1drink
  16. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I went the other way ADV -> HP2. I don't want a touring bike anymore as I'll only be doing the occasional long-haul day. If I get a 2nd bike it'll likely be a 400cc dual purpose bike.
  17. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    So why isn't the BMW HP2 in the BMW US (2012-2013) web page? Where is it sold? [Not the sport one but the enduro one] -Migs
  18. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a GS, voted GS, and am pretty sure I would buy a GS if I did it all over again, or when it comes time to replace. But when I think about it I never see a clear decision.

When in West Texas I sure wish I had that extra tank and the wind protection. I would have saved a ton farkling--but then that for me a lot of fun. And when I am in the dirt I sure wish I had the lightness of the F800GS (which I gather would drive me to a HP2 if I had ever ridden one).

But one thing for sure I am relentlessly looking--for a second bike. I don't see anything replacing my GS for a long long time.
  19. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think this would have produced better results:

I bought a:
    GS
    GSA
    HP

If I had to do it again I'd buy a:
    GS
    GSA
    HP

Then...you could determine:
    1. the degree of satisfaction of current purchase (bought model...would buy same again)
    2. the degree is dissatisfaction (bought model...would switch to something else)
    3. most desired model sought when dissatisfied (bought a GS...would buy a HP), for example.

As is...appears not too much can be conclusively gleaned from the postings.
  20. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the GSA, and do not regret it for one second, and would buy it again.

For me it's the perfect motorcycle. It does 99% of what I want to do, I have my Husqvarna for the other 1%.