The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why, so there is... I even have a picture of it! :lol2 Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LED lights with ignition off.
    [​IMG]

LED Daylight Running Lights on with the ignition on.
    [​IMG]

LED Low Beam (Left side) on (note that it does not stay on by default, you have to turn it on)
    [​IMG]

LED High Beam (Right side) on. It continues to keep low beam on.
    [​IMG]

New and improved side stand. It seems to me that the bike does not lean same or more than the current GS, perhaps less lean.
    [​IMG]

Oil filter
    [​IMG]

Brembo, front wheel
    [​IMG]

While BMW has replaced plastic oil reservoir mounted on the handlebar to aluminum, they seem to have kept this (next to the yellow shock thingy) as plastic.
    [​IMG]

Spoke wheel hub
    [​IMG]

Close up of the rim
    [​IMG]
  3. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LED brake lights. These do not blink (DOT requirement). Notice that the yellow indicator lights (turn signals) have to be large as per DOT when the bike is delivered from the factory.
    [​IMG]

Standard turn signal for US market
    [​IMG]

BUT, I was told that you could replace it with LED (which may be brighter) as an option. I saw another bike that had the LED turn signals.
    [​IMG]

Tires. Your new WC GS will come with one of three different manufacturer tires. Not all bikes will come with Michelin tires as per Press Release. You would only know, when the crate is opened.
    [​IMG]

Raised GS logo (I am not sure if current GS has raised lettering)
    [​IMG]

Instrument cluster. It is showing "N" in LCD panel as well as coloured. However, if you change the gear, only the LCD panel will show the gear you are currently in. It was demonstrated to me by the rep.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the accessory socket, below the windshield know and to the right of the panel.
    [​IMG]

Stock seat. It is not smooth, rather you can feel those slightly raised dots.
    [​IMG]

Exhaust
    [​IMG]

Miscellaneous pictures
    [​IMG]

I couldn't figure out the purpose of this plastic thing sticking out on the left side above the cylinder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures :clap At the UK show the bike wasn't allowed to be started, and was on a fixed stand, so I couldn't get a feel for the weight of it, or try the centre stand. Damn health and safety brigade.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tJbn1uw63hM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got a new nickname for the motor: The smoker. :eek1
  6. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dear forum and bmw people ( if any bmw people actually read these threads )

bmw has hit the ball out of the park with the new r1200gs lc . the 2013 r1200gs lc is the best two wheeled vehicle ever designed by any motorcycle company and instantly obsoletes every other motorcycle presently manufactured including the entire bmw lineup . this bike is built to take abuse in all terrains and weather conditions and last for three hundred thousand miles . the bmw r1200gs lc has exactly everything you want and nothing you don't . it is the modern day equivalent of a luxury suv and will never go out of style . the beauty of this bike is in its total appearance of long lasting dependability and power to spare . there is no better all around motorcycle than the 2013 bmw r1200gs lc . if you want to race -- get a yamaha r1 . if you want to be sporty -- get a bmw r1300s . if you want to be stylish -- get a moto guzzi california . if you are in the market for a two wheeled machine whose appearance is dictated strictly by performance and reliability -- the bmw r1200gs lc is the only real motorcycle available .

doggrell3000
    new york ny
  7. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  8. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    +1 I have a Surefire 6px tactical light and let me tell you, that thing is a beacon of light. I have no doubts about the new BMW LED headlight.
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't you think you might want to ride it first before making this almighty proclamation? :1drink

11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel injector? I heard they don't inject fuel at the TB, but instead, right before the intake valve - sorta a cross between TB injection and direct injection.

- Mark
  12. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like the spark plug cover.

13. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    I think he drank the Koolaid. It may be a great bike but that awaits your own personal road test.

Personally, having owned a 2008 and 2010 GS, I don't care for the exhaust sound. And what's that smoke coming out of the tailpipes?

14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    For a brand new bike straight out of the crate, I don't think it would be surprising to have some assembly grease/oil being burned off.
  15. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    So I've elected to get the new GS in red, and I was having a discussion with my girlfriend regarding paint jobs on cars and the classic discussion on car color came up: "If you own a red (sports) car, your insurance premium is higher and you have a higher chance of getting pulled over by a cop" Both points in that statement maybe bunk, but it had me considering the actual pros and cons of having a red trimmed motorcycle. I'm coming from a blue 2005 GS, which I love the color and would even love it on the new model, but the new blue is a little too 'electric' for me.

My thought on Pros: better visibility to other cars, aesthetically pleasing
    Cons: better visibility/susceptibility to cops, visual attractiveness leading to vandalism/theft

What are everyone's thoughts? Is there any actual data out there in internet land that goes over the psychology of a red vehicle and whether or not it costs you more money annually or jeopardizes your safety on the bike or attracts theft?

I'm not a fan of the white or blue in the slightest, so my back up plan is the grey trim.

It's too bad Click and Clack are off the air. It would have been a good question for them.
  16. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubtful. The main spark plug is still in the center of the head with the large plastic cover over it like the current hexhead. It could be an secondary spark plug, I suppose, but some of BMW's tech literature says they've gone back to a single plug design without the secondary plug. My money is still on it being a fuel injector sitting right over the intake valve.

[​IMG]

- Mark
  17. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    the nice thing is that if you tire of the color you could always swap or buy oem painted plastics for not very much money.
  18. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered thunder grey, but quite like the white, and my wife likes the red.:D I keep changing my mind, and am now torn between all 3 colours:lol3
  19. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeap, I think so.
  20. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The oil filter position looks like it is going to make for messy oil changes.