New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your help for answering all my stupid questions. Now, I have one more for you. What is the cheapest, simplest way to get HID headlamps? Just switch the old bulbs with HID ones, or purchase one of the severly expensive kits from the likes of Adventure Designs? Thanks again.
  2. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kit. The kit is the bulb, igniter and ballast. You'll swap out the bulb with the HID one, plug in your existing wiring harness to the ignitor and then follow the wiring from the ballast back to the new HID bulb.

Something around $35 should do just dandy in your low beams. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

You may not want to swap out your high beams because if you use them to flash, well HID's take a few seconds to warm up so defeats that purpose.
  3. Hicks

Hicks der Überluber

Oddometer:
    aha ok ;)
  4. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Are there any fatbar options with different rise and pullback versus the stock bars which come with the same type of interior threaded bar ends as the OEM? I'd switch to Pro Taper Evo but I've become addicted to my Kako cruise lock which screws into those big OEM threads.

I've been looking at the bars on the 1200GSA and they look & feel a bit different than the F8 bars......might do the trick. Anybody tried that swap?

HF :ear
  5. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    My oem bars were bent in an off. Didn't want to buy the same but yes to throttle lock. Used helicoil inserts to recreate. I had a thread but Apple nuked all pics.

This should give you a good idea of how I kept it.

[​IMG]
  6. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Sweeeet idea! Love Helicoils and didn't even think of it. What size did it require? And just to be certain, are you also using the Kayko? You didn't say exactly.

HF. :lurk
  7. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Size was m12 x 1.75. I used longest in the kit, I think 28m. This fits the oem hand guard fastener. Expect a loose fit insert to bar (you could epoxy if you like) but snug when finished with hand guard fasteners.

My throttle lock is the Wunderlich fit with oem hand guards.
  8. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my new to me '11 F800GS a few months now and got two stupid questions.

1. Why when my front wheel is in the air does the wheel flop to the right (I'm going from memory, but pretty sure it is right) every time. Its consistent to the same side every time and will do it even with the handlebars pushed all the way left initially. I think I read that maybe it was a tight brake line? I've tried finding the thread again but can't seem to remember where I saw this. Any concern here?

2. Also, I think I saw in one of the throtte threads a vague comment about the new 13's having a different map that helps with the throttle behavior. I think there was also a mention that older bikes could get the same type of flash to help? Any truth to this or should I just be looking at one of the throttle upgrades already discussed?

Thanks!!!!
  9. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    You didn't say whether you had a 658 or a 800. Difference being one has a single disc and the other has twin discs. There isn't a standard as far as I know as to what side the bars will turn. On a single disc setup, the wheel will tend to fall to the caliper side as it's heavier. On a twin disc it will fall equally on either side. HOWEVER, the clutch cable and the brake line will tend to throw both bikes bars to the right. It's difficult to get a good feel for the steering bearing tightness on these bikes but as I've come to experience, if the wheel falls hard to the right and bounces back toward centre rather harshly then it's too loose. It will bounce a bit but less so on a 800. I took "her" 658 out for a ride and the steering felt too light so I adjusted it to spec and it felt much better. The front tire was also worn out which made it feel loose as well. If in doubt have someone check it.

I know nothing about the latest programming.............
  10. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that, its an 800. I updated my post to include that. I have been meaning to check the steering head bearings this winter! I can easily check the tightness soon. Thanks!
  11. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Any word on whether or not the 2013 software can be flashed to 2012 or older F800GS to help out with the throttle snatch? Thanks!
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    that are some interesting questions! someone would mind calling a real BMW dealer?
  13. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I tried Friday but didn't really get an answer... :huh

Once Christmas is over I was going to call around to a few others. Didn't know if anyone happened to know off the top of their head. Merry Christmas!
  14. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    There is no flash for the F800 that lessens the snatch. The bikes are tuned lean to meet the emission standards. So... If the 2013 throttle is "snatchy" going backwards with a flash wont help.

15. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A larger tooth in 1st will, though!
  16. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Power Controller, Booster Plug, or Accelerator (any resistor tuning device that "properly' drops the air box temperature) fixes the problem perfectly with out effecting fuel economy.

17. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I used the $75 Accelerator plug-in, and yes, it solved the snatchy problem perfectly. But it did affect my fuel mileage. I'm only averaging about 48 mpg now, where I was getting about 55mpg stock. The bike runs so much better with the Accelerator, I don't mind the mpg loss..

Goes to reason that a richer fuel mixture equates to greater fuel consumption. So, I expected this occurrence. I don't no why claims are made to the contrary. Have you actually experienced something different than this on your F800?

HF :lurk
  18. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My taller first gear has slightly INCREASED the mpg, has steadied first gear snatchiness and hasn't affected acceleration at all, really (not hat I've noticed, at any rate!). It appears to be the cheapest option, too?! :evil
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    HF:
    I have the IICE module and I'm not "organized" enough to have done any real MPG benchmarking,
    but I would for-sure notice a 7 MPG drop, and that's not my experience. Maybe you have something else going on? Take the Accel module back out and see if mileage goes back up by 7mpg?
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost 1 or 2 mpg with the Accelerator module (58 to 56). Mileage can vary greatly on the bike depending on where and how fast you ride it.

Sprockets!!! I got sprockets, 15 and 17 tooth. I used the 17 for a year. It does have an effect on high speed vibes. I did not notice much impact on fuel mileage.

It is adequate for most fire roads, but not the steep twisty type with 1st gear hair pins. I took it off and will save it for long freeway travel. It was the installation of the fuel module that made the use of a 17 tooth on most of the fire roads possible.