Any TE450 or TE510 owners here?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SwitchThrottle, May 27, 2008.

1. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Did it just bolt right into the stock shroud or did it require modification? What about wiring?
  2. Nous Defions

Nous Defions n00b

Oddometer:
    The headlight bolts right in. The headlight comes with the male and female end of the plug that your solder to the headlight low beam wires.
  3. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Wow, that sounds easy and it must be a huge improvement in light output. I have an '07 with the older headlight shroud and have wanted to get the newer one just because I think it looks better. But add that Rigid light and it becomes a functional improvement as well. :thumb
  4. biggsxr

biggsxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2007 TE510. A bit rough , but running.
    # 1 big issue...
    [​IMG]

Do I have any chance of finding a used Clutch Case and cover?
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    J & B Weld?
  6. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    The infamous kickstart crack....another example, not really amenable to a JBWeld fix, I wouldn't think.

[​IMG]
  7. biggsxr

biggsxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is beyond JB weld, epoxy, etc, Mine is totally detached as well, cracked top to bottom, plus it propagated to the clutch cover. I'm not sure about the inner RH Case yet.
    More pics;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can TIG weld, so I'll give it a go. I just brought it home today, so I'm beginning my search for knowledge; Factory Manuals, owner's manuals, "they all do that" knowledge. Seems they all self destruct upon kick start eventually... suck.
  8. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. cybernetics

cybernetics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2007 TE 450. The chassis, forks and other parts have a lot of rust on them but it works well. I am wondering why it feels a lot faster than my 2010? It makes less noise and runs stronger. It seams that it is geared a little shorter and that may be the difference. Both are full power as far as I can tell.
  10. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    2008-2010 TE 310, 450, 510
    Watch for rubbed wire bundle into the ECU where it rests on the fuel injector bracket. On mine, the Brown with white stripe wire had a bare spot and was grounding to the injector bracket. This wire is connected to:
    Dashboard, DC relay, RH switch, Main switch, Pump relay, Fan relay, ECU interface, ECU, O2 sensor

The short was weakening my spark to the plug, the plug fouled badly, I fixed the wire and put my old 10,000 mile plug in, and it started right up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. dirtfarmerrich

dirtfarmerrich Richard

Oddometer:
    I. Just put a Safari tank on my 2009 TE 510 Everything fit well except the wiring to the in tank fuel pump was to short. I had to unwrap the wiring harness and reroute the pump wires. Has anyone else had this problem. Also the seat is a lot harder to put on. I,m not sure what to do about the seat fitting because the tank can not be moved forward and the seat needs to be moved farther forward to be able to latch it.
  12. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to gently pry my IMS tank forward to get it to fit over the (2) steel studs that are on the frame, the ones with the rubber grommet on them. Once my tank is properly seated, the seat will fit as it should.
  13. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I didn't have any issue installing the tank at all, including the wiring, but the Corbin seat did not fit, no matter what, and the stock seat needed the front slot dremeled out a bit to make fit.
  14. dirtfarmerrich

dirtfarmerrich Richard

Oddometer:
    I think I need to Dremel the front slot on the seat and it will fit better. Thanks for info.
  15. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer:
    I looked at an 07' 510. Really like the look and having 1000 miles it seems to run right.
    The Akropovic? sounds nice and not obtrusive.
    Already re sprung for my weight.
    Hard not to just lay down the cash.
    Great thread folks!
    This would be my 1st Husky.....:D
  16. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    okay, i have a problem.

I installed a IMS tank on my 07 TE450 some time ago and i´ve been riding around without a fan since then. latley, on a tight and sometimes steep singetrack, the bike boiled over. that doesn´t really concern me much, but i have a trip in mind that will take me to the sahara dessert. altough it is in winter, the temperatures will climb to maybe 30°C and riding in the sand (not riding big dunes or anything) will for sure rise the enginge temp.

so, what can i do to improve cooling (special coolant?) or do i have to install a "push" type fan in front of the radiator?

cheers
    josef
  17. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    You can try different mixtures of several "engine ice" type of products, but a fan will mean you can skip all that experimentation and just switch the fan to "on" when the bike is moving less than 10mph.
  18. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:

An oil cooler?

Here's a link to one such application. Looks like the pictures are gone though.
    Husky oil cooler adapt

[​IMG]

Nevermind I found a picture link.
    http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t281/EXCKiller/Rally Husky/

Doesn't show much of the oil cooler though. Decent build though :thumb

P.S. don't forget about changing the coolant "T" fitting with an UPTITE "Y" fitting, there's also a high volume water pump impellor available, and always keep your containment bottle half full to prevent the plastic from melting in case of an overheat purge. One more thing, change the rad cap to higher BAR rating. I believe one from 2 smoke Kawi 80 cc works perfect. Can find out for sure if you want that info.
  19. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I had the original Triumph T595 in Tucson, AZ and they were notorious for overheating. After much discussion I used Redline Water Wetter and pure water; no antifreeze. It made a world of difference. Antifreeze is mis-named coolant because it hurts heat dissipation. I'd give that a try before I tried more expensive options. .
  20. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 450 as well and an IMS tank and tried to install a fan. I disconnected it because it was draining the battery when the bike was off. I probably just had it connected to the wrong wires but electrical has always been my weak point.

I ordered a pusher fan from eBay and installed it as such.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The radiator guards are from Big Fat Guy Racing, or maybe it's Old Fat Guy Racing. More photos of it are in the same gallery as the one I posted.