MotoGP: Holland Days (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really do hope Dani will finally lift the title this year.

Rossi being (hopefully) closer to the front now is only gonna make an already interesting season even better.
  2. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I'm pulling for him as well.
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    that's what separates the great ones from the rest of us. I think it comes down to desire and it's ability to override every other emotion.
  4. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huge effort by Jorge to ride with a plated bone.

The big danger with plated bones is falling again and causing considerably more damage. Especially leg fractures, with rods and pens.

Assen, special for so many reasons
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dani seems to lack the reserve when the bike isn't up to par. He rides the wheels off a bike that is working ok to well. But a bike that's not happening today just takes the wind out of his sails. When he figures that out (he may not) he will be like Rossi on a two stroke.

And when he's passed it appears he resigns himself to second place and rides accordingly. But the guy crashes less than he used to. Maybe that's why he doesn't have that second wind.

BTW bring back real race bikes dammit.
  6. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just was watching some 90's 500cc races. Those bikes were :eek1

Get it right and a racer became a hero. BUT get it wrong and a rider was treated to a fast aerial view of the circuit.
  7. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    My concern as well, with 13 screws in my right arm holding the plate (as I posted earlier), even pushing my motorcycle around the garage was out of the question. Just moving it! Not racing at 200 mph! Superman!

But, as it was noted earlier, he gets 10 mill to do that, I get squat to ride. :lol3
  8. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Kinda makes Ben Spies look like a.... :toney :deal
  9. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Soft tissue injuries are another thing entirely. You can't put screws and a plate on a tendon! They need rest.
  10. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, pain isn't the issue, all motorcycle racers can deal with pain. The problem is strength. At Mugello, Spies said it was plain dangerous for him to ride, as he couldn't control the bike in the fast changes of direction. He didn't have the necessary strength in his shoulder. That would have endangered himself and other riders on the track. Spies may be many things, but he's no pussy.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

If anyone remembers back to Daytona when he went down on the banking and removed like a 1/4 of his ass, and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2007/146_0410_ben_spies_all_grown_up/
  12. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bring that up when people say Spies hasn't paid his dues. Also, remember when he raced tore his stitches racing the Yosh Superbike at Mid-Ohio immediately after an appendectomy. Spies is plenty tough.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    It is the difference between being paid millions to do something and being a weekend warrior who goes into debt paying his own way.

How many chances are you going to get to fight for a World Championship? Better to make the most of it if you can.

Regarding Dani; I see him finishing fourth when that is the best finish he can get as the sign that he truly is WC material (not that it was ever in doubt for me).

I don't hope or will any particular rider to win. I am more interested to see how it plays out. We are witnessing a great season.

The last few seasons were great too. Too many people hated to see Stoner as part of it and Rossi neutralized. Too bad for them.
  14. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. :deal
  15. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how much money is the motivator vs the chance to show that you're the best. If you're the best at something there's a chance that money will follow. No matter how much money you pay some one it won't make them the best.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I am saying it is the difference in why our wounded warriors are healing up on the couch and not going out racing and risking further injury.

Whether it means the shot at more World Champion trophies or millions in bonuses or to add to your legacy as a great champion; I don't think any of us posting in this thread are in that unique and enviable position.
  17. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Your example is pretty messed up and insulting but I don't think you meant it that way.

No I'm not a world champion at anything but I do know that the pride and recognition I get from doing my best at my job is more important than any monetary compensation I could get. Not saying I'd work for free but then again, there are GP racers that do.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I am saying; if you are good at your job and it is a competitive and rewarding job, you are going to do what ever you can to get back to it ASAP.
  19. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    My mistake then. I thought you were saying that it was because JLo made millions. :freaky
  20. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's disappointing Spies won't be healed in time for Laguna Seca.

I'm really looking forward to Spies return. His greatness is masked behind a wall of misfortune. When that wall comes down, watch out. He's hungry!

Perhaps a podium this season is a dream too far, but wouldn't that be something to cheer about!