Where to buy? Neoprene gaiters for front forks

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BMW_BIKER_KEITH, Jun 2, 2010.

1. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get all the protection i can on the F800's fork seals...

Does anyone know where to get some washable fork 'boots' that have a velcro strip? I cant seem to find them on any aftermarket sites...

Thanks!
  2. globewanderer

globewanderer n00b

Oddometer:
    I purchased a pair for my 650 GS at Sierra BMW in Sparks Nevada. They can be purchased online at: www.sierrabmwonline.com.
  3. Simonf8gs

Simonf8gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try your local mx/motorcycle store, you may not find anything specific for the f8 but it's pretty much one size fits all. adventure-spec have some as well as others...
  4. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sealsavers.com

although they're not velcro.... i do remember on the mountain bike side of things you could get 'lizard skins' which were velcro.
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These will fit the F800GS. They velcro on and off.

http://kriega.us/products/kriega-fork-seals

[​IMG]
  6. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    The abve ones are a great fitt. Velcro on and "secure" with a zip tie on top. Got mine fron Adv Spec when I got my engine guards and bash plate.
  7. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kriega x3. Just got mine last week - went on no problem. I'm sure I'll forget they are there until I wash the bike after my next off-road excursion.
  8. Apostolos

Apostolos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the touratech ones that are brand new still in the package. I'll sell them if you want.

PM if interested.

God Bless,
    David
  9. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get them?
  10. The Griz

Oddometer:
  11. ride2little

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I was just there about to pull the trigger. $30 + $9 shipping.
    Saw an expired ad on fleabay for $30 shipped. Just wondering if there was a better source.
  12. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    Check out www.dirtskins.com

These are longer than other brands for better coverage and protection.

Attached Files:

13. 1P8RIOT

1P8RIOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine from Dennis Kirk:beer
  14. ride2little

Oddometer:
    "Installed" mine today. Look great and will definitely help provide extra protection. "Wrap that rascal."
  15. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    I hate to beat the horse, but at best fork gaters are a wash as far as protection goes, and more likely you'll be doing more harm than good in the long run with them on...
  16. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    If you're going to make that statement, please provide supporting information. :huh
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    All I know is humans have been using fork seal gaiters on off road and mx bikes since the 70's. If they are so horrible, why do people continue to use them after all these years without problem?

My right fork seal on my F800GS failed recently (was leaking) and got replaced under warranty. This happened without the usage of fork seal gaiters. Since it happened without using fork seal gaiters, I'm now considering the use of them. I'll need to gather more info though, as well as the approval of my dealer's BMW tech.
  18. ride2little

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    See the other thread.

Cliff's notes: Short neoprene gaiters = more debris scraping on your fork tubes than nothing at all. Their implementation is exactly opposite of their intent. If you don't get a gaiter that covers the entire fork tube and is cinched on both ends, you're better off with nothing at all.

In fact, the VAST majority of humans have *not* been using gaiters since the beginning of time, and that majority has only experienced fork seal issues on rare occasion...and usually due to neglect. If gaiters are such a good idea, why don't you see them on any showroom floor? How come you don't see all the old/core dogs out there with them?
  20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I never said "ALL" nor did I say "VAST". Just HUMANS....Humans that ride off road and mx bikes. I never said the beginning of time either!:roflI said since the 70's. I've seen a lot of mx'ers and trail riders using them myself. They swear by 'em.

Your stating your opinion bxr. Remember that. Opinions are opinions, facts are facts. I'd like to know the facts so I can make a good judgment as to whether to use them or not. You're not helping with that.

All I know so far is this fact: they've been sold since the 70's and a lot of folks have used 'em since. They still sell 'em. People still buy 'em. Anyone out there actually used fork seal gaiters for a while? Good? Bad?

I can see how they'd potentially score the slider a bit more. However, a scored slider is a lot better than a leaking seal. Maybe the gaiters keep the larger damaging crud out from under the seal, even though finer particulates get under the gaiter.

PS the reason you don't see them on bikes on the showroom floor is the same reason the F800GS doesn't come with a mudsling.