Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weather in St. George this weekend. Hope everyone is outside doing something fun. Out on the backside of Sand Hollow Reservoir yesterday afternoon.

[​IMG]

Originally bought this bike for my father-in-law. He rode a Harley for 30+ years. Now in his mid-80s and has decided not to ride motos anymore when he comes to visit. Doesn't want to risk an accident. Might limit his activities with his girlfriend who is "only" in her 60s. :lol3 So it's up to me to take the Vulcan out for a spin from time to time. Certainly a good bike for cruising pavement and sightseeing. Only about 5,000 miles on it, all hassle free. :D

[​IMG]

Checking out a few more secret passageways, under I-15 near the Red Cliffs Reserve.

[​IMG]

Quail Creek State Park.

[​IMG]

It is short, but there is one nice section of twisty road. :clap

[​IMG]

And a few good views.

[​IMG]

Thanks for riding along. :wave
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful as always RRR.

Just west of Quail is an aviation navigation arrow. I've been looking into the history of things lately, as it was a early and rudimentary way to fly the mail. Turns out, you have three in your 'hood'. So here's another reason to go look around the fantastic SW UT.

http://wchsutah.org/aviation/navigation-arrows.php
  3. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool, Samthg. Just spent an hour looking at links from that sight. Lots of detailed early history about Washington County, UT at your fingertips. One of those "airplane" arrows is less than 10 minutes from my house. I'll have to go find it.
    Actually, they all look very findable. Good long-term project! Adding to the "to do" list for future rides. As much as I have been around there are still so many little areas to explore. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of some very interesting stuff! :D

P.S. I noticed that someone drove a motorcycle inside a bowling alley in SoCal. If the owner finds that guy . . . watch out . . . heads might roll! :rofl
  4. StG

StG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just stopped by one of those this past week. There is supposedly one more north of Pintura & 2 more to the south between Glendale & Mesquite. Who's up for a little treasure hunt ride:D?
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool photo. I like the second sign in the background.
    [​IMG]

Navigation Arrows, there is a rider on the TW Forum from your area who found a few arrows in the past couple of years. Neat history behind them and perked my interest as well. With my fellow TW'ers help, he discovered one of the area's up in my neck of the desert. With some charts, I found a second one, both can be seen on google earth. I plan to visit them. Cool stuff!
  6. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inmate StG. :D Always smiling . . . it's just another day at the office for him. :lol3

[​IMG]

There's a big drop in one of the canyons, over 100 ft, mostly free hanging. At the top we can't see if the rope is touching the bottom. So, StG does the only reasonable thing. He sends his buddy from the UK over the edge first, just to make sure everything is ok. :thumb Good thinking. The UK guy is so happy to be out of the rain and crappy weather, he'll agree to do anything in sunny, warm, dry southern Utah. Perfect. Everybody is happy. :lol3

[​IMG]

Looking up as StG comes down the large free hanging rap. Good times. Back to the motos shortly.

[​IMG]
  7. StG

StG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, another good day in southern Utah:thumb, even if not on motos. Some pics of R3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a fun half-day ride with RingoKelly and his son-in-law yesterday. Excellent weather and good riding partners. :D We started out on some of the bluffs up behind Green Valley. RingoKelly has the red and green Kawis. I'm on the WR.

[​IMG]

Son-in-law like RingoKelly is an excellent rider. Must be a prerequisite for getting into the family. :lol3 Son-in-law has a 3-year old, plus a baby boy expected in about a month. Looks like the son-in-law is going to be busy. Might be one of his last few moto rides for about the next five years until the new little one gets started in school. :cry Best wishes to the mom as the due date approaches!

[​IMG]

We worked out way out onto the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway.

[​IMG]

Eventually up on top of some hills with the some great views down onto St. George.

[​IMG]

One spot near the overlooks down into the Virgin River Gorge has a gate. The cows are back up on to so we have to tend the gate.

[​IMG]

Nice riding with RingoKelly. Lookin' forward to the next time. Son-in-law always welcome if he can break away from baby duty. :lol3

[​IMG]

At the end of our ride I'm close to one the airplane navigation arrows so I go check it out. Easy find. Just off the pavement behind a water tank. Less than 5 miles from my house.

[​IMG]

The "gravestone" marker:

[​IMG]

This pic is taken from the navigation arrow looking down on Bloomington. Fall colors are at their peak. :clap

[​IMG]

On top of the bluff very close by. Looking down on curve of the Virgin River.

[​IMG]

From the same spot looking north where I-I5 crosses the Virgin River at the southern edge of St. George. Bike path runs along side the river. At high water very fun to float this section of river with inflatable kayaks.

[​IMG]

And looking down on the roof of the Bloomington Walmart.

[​IMG]

It's not Moab, but not bad for 10 minutes from the house. :wink:

[​IMG]

Solo shot of the WRR, apparently not afraid of heights. :lol3

[​IMG]

Thanks for riding along. Be safe out there. See you around. :wave
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    better than "no day" rides!:D

It looks so warm down there, just looking at all the sun and motorcycles is warming me up!

While doing some research (basically looking at other peoples research) I saw one photo of the navigation arrows in a person's back yard. Hope they knew the history.

Since I'm a geocacher, I was thinking of adding a cache to one or both of the navigation arrows around our area. Link some history to it so more people would be aware.

As always, thanks for the RR RRR!
  10. Brakelate

Brakelate Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checking in.

Still lurking and keeping track of my neighbor to the West.

Can't wait to get out and join you, but the shoulder injury is proving more painful and the recovery much more lengthy than I ever thought.

Keep me on the "invite" list. :deal

I love the "arrows" and would love to see several in person. It has been a while since I have been active with my own GeoCache account. Something else I would enjoy getting back in to once settled in out here in Big Water, and back on Two Wheels with confidence.

Keep up the good work!

:clap
  11. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549

Oddometer:
    Great Report and pics!:clap
  12. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey DJ - Great post of your wife. My wife also turns 49 in about a week. I used to think 49 was old; not so much anymore. Life is good. Just like you, I married up . . . in my case . . . way up. Mrs. RedRockRider also an excellent doctor and fantastic mother. She's great with her dad and my parents. Plus she's so damn sexy (CrossFit nut). . . definitely my favorite wife!!! :wink:

Two recent pics. Her hair color does seem to change fairly often. All good. I have my motos :ricky and she has her hair stylist friend . . . and lots of shoes. :lol3 I think she gets some of them from StG's wife. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]
  13. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RRR thanks for the rip around the hills the other day. Good to get out and spend the day ding what you love!! See ya in a few weeks :D
  14. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Yes to marrying up for me. Hope to be in St. George before Christmas. Probably be after the New Year. Tell all inmates hello. Safe and Happy riding:norton
  15. WDG

WDG …Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    This pic looks like it could make you a nice avatar. Love it!
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl

Seriously, nice wife and family = nice life!

Love this thread!
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on the three wheeler.

[​IMG]

Checking out Gunlock Reservoir.

[​IMG]

I'll get in touch next time. I'll buy you lunch. :D
  18. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Very cool, G19Tony. Up to St. George with the 3-wheeler. :D As a pilot friend told me, "Nothing like a short flight over to the next town to buy a $1,000 hamburger." :lol3 Ha, ha. Maybe I should buy you lunch. It will only cost me $10.

Keep a look out for those "Navigation Arrows." Here's the TW on a bluff in Bloomington just west of the Virgin River. Close to the old airport. Should be easy to see from the air.

[​IMG]

Be safe up there!
  19. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    "It's not Moab, but not bad for 10 minutes from the house. :wink:"

I'm also very lucky to be able to ride from my home to many awesome area's. Backyard Trek's Wickenburg AZ...
    However I certainly enjoy that Red-Rock country. Really enjoy visiting Utah & the AZ Strip every chance I get.
    The Wife thingy... Married to my high school sweetheart 35 years in December. Gotta keep a-hold of those good ones.:D
    Awesome Thread:clap :clap :clapalways enjoy your adventures...
  20. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How appropriate that RRR follows your post with a pic of the TW, for the 140 could be considered the TW for Piper. Beautiful a/c!