First project noob question

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Narrdo, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tank sealing...

If your going to use a tank sealer, Por 15 or something else, do you remove the petcock before putting the sealant in? If you do, how do you keep the sealant from coming out? If you dont, how do you keep the sealant from sealing the petcock? :scratch
  2. elite-less

elite-less MotorradDad

Oddometer:
    Go to a marine store and buy (2) boat drain plugs. I've used these for years to seal off bungs when cleaning and coating tanks. They look like this and are reusable for years:

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/8985--rubber-drain-plugs-plug-5-8.html

Can't recall what size I use... I'm not at home to reference. I've also used a whittled down wine cork in a pinch. What's your bike?
  3. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So definatley take it off, Thank you.

Here is the project. 1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

[​IMG]

Here is where I am today. Actually a little further, forks and swing arm installed over the weekend.

[​IMG]
  4. elite-less

elite-less MotorradDad

Oddometer:
    Nice project, I like the trellis frame! :thumb

I’ve sealed two tanks with the POR15 product, it’s tough stuff. However, I only coat steal tanks as a last resort. If your tank is currently uncoated and decent shape, just use the Marine-Clean and Metal-Ready products... you’d be surprised how they refresh an interior and remove rust.

I’ve stripped the interior of two tanks.... it’s a dreadful task. That’s why I only coat when necessary.
  5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Or go to Ace Hardware and get a couple of stoppers (rubber or cork) to fit the petcock fitting. They may even have one large enough for the filler opening.
  6. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Yeah...

I couldnt find the right size, so I bought a couple of corks, drilled through them, clamped them into the Dremel tool, sanded em down to the right size and then stuck em into the petcock fittings.

You could do the same thing with the cork from a wine bottle!
  7. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellers, not so scared now. I just try the cleaner first and see how it does.
  8. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also use rubber bungs in the petcock holes and have a couple of large ones for the different size filler holes. If I find flaking of paint or sealer in the tank, I always do a thorough cleaning and recoat the tank, expecially a metal tank. POR 15 is my coating of choice. Works great and seems to last pretty much forever. Have done about 20 tanks and all turned out great. Take your time with it and be careful with the cleaner around your paint.
  9. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i've been using plumber's putty (just did 2 tanks last week.) works great. after sealer is hard, i drill through the sealer and reinstall petcocks.
  10. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    That's what I did for my R75/6.
  11. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright then, I have a problem of a different sort now.

This was supposed to be easy, take the bike apart and put it back together. But I am officially getting my ass kicked by a wiring problem. PO stated that he had it running before he sold it to me but I can not see how. During the tear down I found some things wrong with it and don't see how it could have ran. Also, now during the rebuild, same thing, finding several things that are goofy.

Basically where I am at this point. I have all the wiring back in. At the front, I found two black wires just kind of half assed spliced into what would be the on-off switch/start button harness, which also ties to the clutch switch. There was no way that these black wires were factory, they are not on the wiring diagram, and I thing the PO was getting creative.

At the back, in the fuse box, I found that the Main 25 amp was in the wrong position, one 10 amp missing, one blown. I replace the missing, blown, and moved the 25 to where it says, took out the strange black wires and get nothing when the starter button is hit. I mean nothing, no clicks, not sparks, nothing.

The guages light up, signals work, Brake light works, taillight, temp, oil, high low beam indicator. Thought it might just be a weak battery, nope, pulled the battery and connected my F800 battery and same thing. nuthing.

I guess Im just looking for some direction to go next. Money is real tight, so buying and replacing things without testing is not really an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  12. jedcaum

jedcaum Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer:

Man, you really are a noob!:evil

My advice would be when a seller says "it runs," you say, "prove it."

But now that you're here, all you can do is figure out 1) fuel, 2) air, 3) spark. If everything turns and you've got compression, then your problem is in one of those three areas, most likely.

From what you describe, it sounds like an electrical gremlin at this point (spark), though if you've never heard it run, you don't really know if that's the extent of the problem. Could be as simple as a broken wire or bad connection/ground somewhere in the harness. If the PO started splicing things, it's very likely it isn't a new issue. I'd get out a tester and start poking likely culprits.

Or I'd hot-wire the battery straight to the ignition and try to bump start it - yeah, that's what I'd do, forget what I said about the tester.
  13. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been poking. Seems power not coming back from clutch switch, thus causing a disruption to the starter relay. I have bypassed it and now I get loud clicking at the starter relay, but no engine turning over. Ive wrench turned the engine, so I know its not locked up. but that is where I have stopped for the night.
  14. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I got it, it was a combination, of crazy wiring, bad fuses and a crappy battery. Im getting a partial turn of the motor now. :1drink
  15. Narrdo

Narrdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly completed now, just needs some minor tweaking. [​IMG]
  16. amschnellsten

amschnellsten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great! i have always had a spot in my heart for Bandits. I had an 01 1200 but that thing tried to kill me on a regular basis. The 400 is awesome because you can beat on it and it likes it.