ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mknj671

mknj671 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need a bit more range on my 12 KTM 500EXC, it has the emissions stuff removed but I can't seem to get any answers about running the Acerbis 3.0 gal tank with radiator cages (Unabiker). Anyone running the oversized tank with cages, any clearance issues?
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just yanked the throttle body from the 500

[​IMG]

easy enough to access by removing the two lower sub frame bolts, silencer bolts, tank and seat and flipping up the subframe like a car hood. remove all the sensor connections on the throttle body, fuel line, and pull it out the back of the bike.

fuel injector is located on the top of the tb

[​IMG]

then just remove these two phillips

[​IMG]

and pull out the injector.

[​IMG]

i will send this one out to be tested and cleaned. my bike with only 6.5 hours began to get noticeably reduced mileage and was stumbling when going from closed to open throttle. upper rpm's it ran fine. so i'll see if its the injector that's the culprit or not.

picked up a spare injector and installed it.

[​IMG]

unfortunately the busted arm keeps me from testing it to see if its the culprit. i will be carrying a spare injector (the cleaned standard fi) on the bike just in case, most likely in the zip lok plastic bag taped inside the airbox or behind the number plate.
  3. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Did that new injector come with the conical mini screen like what is found in the quick disconnect? There is not a filter at the injector is there? I have not had mine apart but may do a garage breakdown to be come familiar, better there than out on the white rim trail or something...
  4. team ftb

Oddometer:

it does look like the one that comes in the quick disconnect, and yes it came in the injector kit that i ordered along with a hose clamp.

my fi does not have a filter anywhere that i could see. here on the parts fiche there may be one but i could not see it in the flesh on my bike. travis at thumper racing mentioned one and is sending me some replacements but as of now i've not got his package.

[​IMG]
  5. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Might they be clever enough to want you to put in a new filter at the QD every time you replace the injector, and that's why it is there?
  6. team ftb

Oddometer:
    thats what its for, however i've binned the quick disconnect as some have complained of the o-rings getting nicked and leaking. i figured one less thing to go wrong so removed it from my fuel line and replaced it with golan mini in addition to the filter in the tank and fuel sock. the little tiny filters seem very easy to get blocked up and hoping the larger surface area of the filter sock and golan will keep it clean and run enough fuel without blocking up once it traps a few particles.
  7. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    I have dinged two o rings being very careful on the quick disconnect. It appears they are either very soft or very brittle? I messed mine up once putting the dirt cover on doing a clean up. It is nice to have it though. Makes the whole take down of the bike go quick and i am one of the ones that happen to like the Oetiker clamps (never had a failure).
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yep, the first time I used the QD, the o-ring for the male dirt-blocking plug split when I removed it. I need to look up one of Bengt Phorks posts where he listed the best bulk purchase option.
  9. ngads

ngads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Switching to 14/48 gearing, were you guys able to use the stock chain? Or did you have to buy new/modify stock

Thanks
  10. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    Stock chain fits.
  11. ngads

ngads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cheers bud
  12. psyco

psyco Motard Madness

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But, you do have to flip the axle adjustment blocks for the extra room or the back tire will be too close to mud flap, if it even fits.
  14. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am running 13/48 with stock chain -fits fine
    stock chain on 13 500 is DID VT2 which is a very good chain - I am running that on my other bikes
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what is the best pipe guard to get? I want to get a full coverage model that covers as much of the stock head pipe as possible so I don't melt my expensive gear or sensitive skin so easily. :evil Most of my older stuff has melt marks in it already from my KLX and its Big Gun headpipe.

I have prowled thru this thread but it is so hard to sort out who has what. My 500 EXC is on its way to the dealer so I am trying to get the goodies for it before it arrives.

Thanks for your input!
  16. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Wings muffler on my 530 and i can lay a hand on it while its running with no burning, even after riding for some time. The stocker and the r2r FMF got pretty warm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  17. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The kit was for a KTM 500 EXC and it was offered on his website. I just checked and saw it wasn't listed anymore. The best thing to do is contact him and see if he will make one up for you.
    Baja Designs gives you the headlight.
    ADVmonster gives you the headlight, adjustable dimmer and a plug and play wiring harness that uses the OEM switch.<label for="rb_iconid_24">[​IMG]</label>
  18. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I wonder if he didn't have his costs figured out correctly when he started selling the kit, and finally realized he was sending money out the door with each sale!
    Think I'll give him a call too.
  19. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info, I'll contact the vendor.

Looking at the respective website specs, (advmonster and BD) they both use four Cree XM-L T6 LEDs, and claim 3600 lumens, but have different housings

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-41/Model-60-LED-off/Detail.bok

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=497051

Interesting that the BD draws 42watts and the ADVmonster only 28w, which suggests some difference.
  20. h2oplayer

h2oplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the pipe guard and skid plate from flatland racing. Very nice build, installs well in minutes.