XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    That may vary by application. When I changed my stockers on my CRF they had more cracks than a Plumbers convention. Now, 3 years later, my Excels have taken more beatings than a red-headed stepchild but have yet to crack.

I seem to recall that the competition forced Excel to step-up and make their rims beefier.

RZ Rob
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. You should be able to do it in two hours, easily, even if it's your first time.

Spud :beer
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

I was not comparing a CRF rim to the Excel. I was comparing a XR/XRL rim. The CRF rims are fragile in comparison. The CRF is a race bike.
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The electronic flasher you bought might still work. Remove the turn signal, indicator bulb and try all four LED bulbs. You can't use the indicator bulb with four LED bulbs, unless you solder two diodes into the wires leading to the indicator bulb.

Spud :beer
  5. Mero

Mero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL that's why i need to save all the money i can. 6 bucks for 2qts that will damn near get me an extra 16miles.

I ended up sucking it up and trying it. i got the forks draining over night. I dont mind flushing it if you all think its a good idea. im sick so im not going to be doing any riding for awhile so i can let them drain up side down for a couple days if needed to get the trani fluid out.
    the spring kit came with a hallow tube made to be used as a spacer.I got the springs off procycle.us but the directions seem super complicated. they're just general directions for all bikes. hard to tell what pertains to me and what doesn't. the springs are made by racetech

Also i was looking at my fork brace. and it looks like ill have to get rid of my stock fork covers if i use my brace. is this true? if so what fork prtector would you guys suggest?
  6. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I don't know. It's a race tech spring and 250x forks. I haven't f'd with the settings yet. I just ride.
  7. ADV BUM

ADV BUM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:

And does he ever give me a call letting me know he's coming up so we can ride together?:lol3:lol3I've offered a place to stay with lot's of private riding (1,200 acres worth of California Coastal Mountain trails) 40 minutes from the start of the Mendocino National Forest. Some people...:rofl
  9. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much sag here...Perhaps too much preload.
  10. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    should I post the chart again?
  11. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    You can also do what many have done and just push them up and re-attach them...

[​IMG]

A big Thank You, to RZRob for the tip on the fuse box modification, (the fuse in it is just for the picture, going to pick up a different one before I run it).

[​IMG]

I ran the power from my newly acquired power lead to my O2 sensor which was previously mis-supplied power wise to where I would loose power to my O2 sensor If I hit my high beams...so In a sense I also fixed my high beams today.:lol3

Now a big Thank You to ThumpnRed for the tip on the remote choke...now as per usual everything seems to fight me on projects so It doesn't sound like it went as smooth for me as it did for others,

I first had to run all the adjustment out of the cable via the mid cable adjustment to get some more slack so it would close all the way.
    then It wouldn't open very far because it would bottom out on the spring:

[​IMG]

I then dug around the house and found a spring that was shorter with the same dimensions as the original:

[​IMG]

that helped but it still doesn't open as far as the stock choke,it bottoms out on the plastic:

[​IMG]

This setup might work fine, I haven't been able to test it out yet, (the GF is sleeping), I also had to re-route the choke cable because it's a bit longer then the stock one.

this only gives you one click on the bars opposed to the stock two click adjustment.
    If anyone has a spare stock XRL plunger they would be willing to part with I would like to modify it to let me open the choke all the way and maybe give me a two click adjustment, (I don't want to modify the one I have).
  12. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Yup,,,,,,,,get er done:lol3

B
  13. Ray Paul

Ray Paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im thinking what i been riding may need heavier springs and more preload !:evil
  14. Ray Paul

Ray Paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm......NO !!!:yikes:
  15. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:

+1 and if you don't like the scrunched up look you can trim some of the boot off and re-attach.
  16. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    Just saw this lane, thanks
  17. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    Just picked up today the following,...........well it's being shipped out today :lol3

All from a CRF 450X: Front Forks freshly serviced (valved and sprung by Mojo Suspension in UK for Desert Racing) both triple clamps and stem, front wheel, rotor, axle, caliper and handle bar clamps. I look forward to getting things swapped out. Those forks are gonna look sooooo good on the XRL...:wink: :clap

Boojum
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boo,

You might want to add some steering stops to the side of the frame. I welded some blocks and dry fit the forks and tank then ground the stop down to get the most turning radius I could. Hopefully you can see the stops in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve, that's a great idea.......... I'm sure it will take me some time for fitting, and modification with this set-up. I'm going to try and get a couple of guys over to the Casa for a brain storming party :freaky and see what is needed. One guy is a welder/fabricator, and the other is just a jack of all trades...............:lol3

Boojum
  20. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    I got the same set-up just have not installed it yet. If ya can post up a how to on it. The more information out there makes it easier for me to do it. :evil

My mechanical skills are just a half a step above lefty loosey righty tighty.:rofl