bultaco experts needed

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by bigmd, Apr 1, 2012.

1. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey guys been lurking for a while and am fascinated now with vintage bikes.I am in the process of restoring a 64ct90 but am thinking of scrapping the build for a bike more streetable.I am thinking about building up a Bultaco Sherpa frame into a bare bones /cafe type streetbike.I have found a roller on CL for 200 bucks and am really thinking of picking it up for a project.From what i know thw Matador was the street version so am i guessing right that all parts interchangeable?also what engine should i look for and could other brand motors fit in the frame?any info greatly appreciated.
  2. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    The Metralla is actually the street version for Bultacos . Very few of these made it to the US. I see no reason why you could not build a Sherpa into a cafe bike. If possible stay away from a fiberglass tank and go right to plastic and change over to a flattrack type seat with padding. The gear box will be your biggest obstacle as it is close ratio and will be pretty odd no matter how you gear it. Perhaps a Matador gear-set might work for you. Contact Hughes Bultaco, bultacomotorcycles.com and they can likely tell you all the pitfalls. For sure you want a Mikuni carb. The low pipe is available from several sources for flattrack. You will want to change the front brake at least. Try a Honda comstar cast wheel from the 80s/90s with a disc brake set-up. This sounds like a fun project:clap.
  3. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Very interesting indeed, the Sherpa's I know are the trials machines, so very grunty engine with massive torque but not fast, (my 350cc can theoretical go 50 miles/h which I will never try out). For the city this is OK, certainly an other secondary gear ratio will help very much.

On the other hand, very light and you don't sit really uncomfortable may be another foot peg location will help too.

BUT as the Alpina was made as an demand from US I would take an Alpina model, better seat position, already changed foot peg position, gear ratios are much better and secondary gear ratio too.

An Alpina model I would recommend you, as these must be too more often in craiglist ad's in the US then the Sherpas.

To the interchangeability be careful the engine of the Alpina and the Sherpa are for example completly different, (it looks that the engine are clones but they have different displacement, gear ratios, even the engine side cases on both bikes are in detail different!)

Looking forward to pic's.
  4. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well the roller he has is listed as a Sherpa but he states thats what he was told by someone.he has no idea of the year also.was gonna pick it up today but he did not return my text or phone call so i dont know whats up.there are a ton of frames on ebay maybe ill just get one and start a project.thanks for info
  5. mike in idaho

mike in idaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which sherpa?, Sherpa T or Sherpa S? The Sherpa T is the trials version, a Torquey low end and wide ratio gears. The Sherpa S was was a totally different animal, lots more(peakier) power and close ratio trans.
  6. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok it's a Sherpa s with no engine seat or tank
  7. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:

This will be interested, the Sherpa S, (very early model), is more rare in realition to commonness, so I personal believe it's a trials bike he is selling, but as we never know. If it doesnt look complete and beeing a roller = non working engine I would rise my personal expectations even it's very cheap 200$, ...

Still interested in the outcome and maybe some pic's.
  8. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok well he got back to me,goin tues to pick up.this will be my first build kind goin in blind.but i have a few friends who work on motorcycles.im thinkin this is like a blank canvas to build a nice bike.hopefully....but maybe I have been watching too much Cafe Racer tv
  9. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    buls4evr i looked at the comstar wheel on ebay any particular one i should look for?i guess i have to change out the fork?
  10. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should on first sight really are a scrambler Sherpa S model, as the steering angle isn't so steep as for the trials bikes. The forks look heavy used and probably need rechroming, might be bend too, (in my experience most forks ond older used bikes are bend or just had not much luck here). The spokes look rusty might also be behind rescue.
    The shocks looks like to be the original, difficult to repair, the early once where able to take apart, the later once are sadly not rebuildable.

Aligning the stanchions and rechroming will cost about 220€ here in Europe, I just had to do this for my SWM.

I personal would look for something more complete as all the parts you need will be expensive to buy here and there, otherwise it's not bad to have some spares. If it is your first bike rebuild take one of your friends with you he should examine the bike in detail for you to get a clue if it is worth to restaurate and probably not a pocket grave.
  13. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i know what its going to take already planned on new shocks,seat,etc.i have a powder coater that will do rims and frame.spokes i would buy new also.
  14. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a bazillion sherpa s parts.. pm me if you need anything...
  15. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i should add i got the guy down to 150.00 do you guys think the project is worth it.can this be made street legal with the addition of lights and blinkers?
  16. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i don't see why not. you would need an ignition that would support lighting. i have street tires on one of mine, it's crazy on the street..
  17. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im really digging the street tracker look
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wooo, you sure are jumping in deep for a first project! Good thing the Buls are easy bikes to work on and most parts are interchangeable.
  19. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Not a lot to work with there. Your $150 project will likely end up as a $4150.00 project given all the parts it needs. Maybe a later model Frontera engine will work with those motor mounts. Just remember that Buls at their best have poor brakes. I have seen comstar wheels on the front of one so know it will take one. Of course this means tig welding a mount on that fork slider. Those Betor forks are rough and the shocks....Well save the spring. This is a very light frame though with proper footpeg locations as it is the scrambler version. I would probably try some way to put an entire Japanese set of forks, brakes and wheel on it but this will likely mean some steering head bearing mods. Look at a Bultaco Astro for inspiration. A tough build for a first one. But there is so little there that you can what you want for sure.
  20. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    U think it's too big a project?how about a bigger front drum?i love bringing stuff back from the dead.ive been redoing old bmx. Bikes for the past 3 yrs .ive been wanting to do a real bike for sometime now.admitedly I don't know a lot about motorcycles but I can get help.the plan is to powder frame rims and bars .new rear shocks tires and other little bits. Need to get tank and seat also