Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up another KLR from Kiser. I'll be out this weekend putting down some asphalt break in miles so let me know if any of you inmates are our cruisin', maybe we can meet up.

[​IMG]
  3. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    I have sent you a Private Message, lemme know!
  4. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Some local Single Track:

[​IMG]
  5. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    I created a Facebook group for all of us local dual sport/dirt bike/adventure riders. It's a private group so only members can see postings. Gasser, I've already added you cuz you're the only one I saw already on FB. Anybody that wants to join either send an add request through FB or msg me your email and I'll add ya. I thought this might be a good way to stay connected and meet new riders, post new rides, get togethers and anything else. Spread the word!

group is called Big Island Dual Sport Riders

https://www.facebook.com/groups/611933855519697/
  6. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Anybody gonna be in Kona for Ironman this Saturday? I was hired to pilot one of my bikes for Bike Works Tech moto crew and should be done with that gig around noon. Maybe do a meet up after at a local spot for ADV'ers? LMK
  7. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer:
    my wife is running the Ironman

was close to being on motocrew but the photographer couldn't convince the race to rent a bike. still a good show from sidelines
  8. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you know my nephew (great nephew??), Sean Borque? He is a bike tech at Bike Works. He just moved to Kona a few weeks ago. He bought a new Sportster at the Kona dealer (an "Iron"), and rode it over to visit my wife and I near Keaau on the wet side of the island.

9. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Haven't met him but I'm pretty sure I've seen that bike cruisin round Kona but there could be more than one in town. I was out riding in your hood recently. I love that area and need to make it out there more often.
  10. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Riding fool(ishly)

Oddometer:
    I am going to be on the Big Island in January and plan to rent a DR from Jason.

I will be attending a medical conference that lets out at noon each day, I'll be looking to explore in the afternoons and the weekend prior. Seeking fellow ADV types to show me some cool locations that maybe tourists don't know about :evil

I know this is way in advance, but I believe in planning :deal This trip has been several years in the works - I tricked my employer into paying for most of it :wink: I attended the same conference 3 years ago and had a rental car. The whole time I was driving around I was thinking this would be awesome on 2 wheels. Hence my planning this time...

Not looking for anything hardcore, just some nice paved twisty bits and gravel roads/trails that lead to spectacular views. I do a fair amount of exploring in WA, just don't do anything too technical. Beautiful place to ride for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am more than willing to buy lunch for my tour guide, maybe you can even show me some cool hole in the wall type places to eat :D

Thanks, Gary
  11. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you mention where on the Big Island you will be staying. Hilo or Kona side? Depending on the route, these towns can be up to about 125 miles apart (by the southern route).
  12. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Riding fool(ishly)

Oddometer:
    Staying near Kona, wanting to explore as much of the island as possible.

Miles don't scare me.
  13. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    After the crew did a Circle Island DS Ride on Friday and Saturday, we hit some serious trails on Sunday, mud, hills, logs and then some:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course Lunch, awesome day!!!

[​IMG]
  14. Gasser

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KLz0o3E5ywc

Aloha! Dualsport gnarly off road riders.

Big Island Dual Sport Association's 2nd Annual Lava Butt 400 was ridden in reverse this year with a few trail changes.

Daryl Vierra lead us from Hilo to Waimea as we tire spinning punched our way through old over grown sugar cane roads and Macnut orchards dirt back roads squeezing past locked gate fence posts and twice we had to ride through unknown peoples back yards to get to the main roads as we worked our way 45 miles to Waimea for a gas pit stop.

Next section was dirt Mana Rd for 42 miles of free for all high speed pitch it sideways riding as I tried to keep up with the 3 front runners Joe Edsmon, Jerry Miller, and Anthony Ortiz as they boiled huge volumes of zero visibility dust making me miss a turn hitting a berm getting surprise! flying W air off into a cow pasture but I stayed on the gas saving my 72 yr old motocrossing ass getting back on the road and staying 100 yards behind their dust plume and wicking it up every butt cinching chance there was a clear space from the dust.

Then about 5 miles in I saw Joe and Jerry stopped on the side for some reason, but I just kept the KTM 200 pinned because I knew them bad boys would be back on the gas soon to make up time and they would have to bust through my dust cloud to catch me, then out of nowhere Pro surfer/off road rider Jerry Miller on a Honda 450 put a rock spraying roosting pass on me, so I kept it pinned slamming gears up and down in all the turns to hang close before the dust could boil into a big blinding cloud, Jerry bobbled and I passed, I bobbled he passed, we did this dicing for 20 miles and three times I over shot turns off into some real nasty OMG butt cinching terrain, but did not crash because I normally ride in that bad shit all the time, that's where my saying "go faster than the crash" proved itself once again.

So I'd get back on the WFO gas to reel Jerry back in, when Jerry and I got to the end of Mana Rd, Anthony had beat us there by two minutes, back at mile 5, Joe spent 10 minutes to find a bad wire glitch to get his 2014 Bata 300 running again, arriving a few minutes behind us, so I know Joe was just hauling unbelievable ass (as always) to do this, also Steve Lau's KTM 450 carb got dirt in the main jet, so in removing the jet, it snapped off at the threads!…but Steve managed to tickle the broken off piece out and Daryl just so happened to have a 170 main jet in his tool pack to save Steve's day…how unreal was that?

Next section was 47 mi strewn with nasty square edge lava rocks around Mauna Kea @ 12,500 elev. only six riders took the challenge, It was noon time and the weather was not looking good up there, so, James, Ferge and I pussy'ed out and took the tarmac to the next check point to where the six mountain loop riders popped out, from there we road 45 mi of tarmac to the Kona Royal Resort to end day with a hot shower, cold beer, Prime Rib steak dinner to benchrace laugh the days ride.

Day two was 45+ asphalt miles to Maunu Ka Bay Rd for a nasty 17 mile loop consisting of dirt/rock, a'a' and Pahoehoe lava, coral sand and rock pebble beaches, green sand pu'u' hill climbs, and big chunky square rocks sections that flattened Joe and James tires, it was strength sapping hot and humid down there along the South West Kona coastline as we road that section hard on the gas nuts to keep the front wheel light over all the nasty rocks every inch of the way.

Next section was a "every man for himself free for all" pick any road through the throat choking yellow silt South Point coastline, offering many deep rutted silt trails that crisscross a wide swath of land, fun high speed riding to where you can brake slide into the berms a 45-50 mph and wheelie out into whatever your "no fear" Motocrossing expertise can handle, good fun shit to the max.

From the ocean waters edge we WFO it 5 mi up Ka'a'ala'ala's narrow tight over hanging Haole tree lined rock infested serpentining dirt road to Waiohinu town, Joe and I were hard on the gas wheeling over countless gnarly rock clusters at speed, brake sliding into blind turn berms hoping there wasn't a fisherman's pick up truck coming down because there's no way out but to crash into the trees growing in the lava rock's, this is hairy shit go fast take chances riding Big Island dual sport off road riding style, home of the Rock Island Rider's two day Mauna Kea 200 off road endurance race.

When we got up to the main road it was late in the day and started to rain and we had 70 miles of Highway to get home, Ferge and I both over 70 pussy'ed out again, though to us old geezer's it's called "senior citizen privilege", and loaded up on dependable Ed Ung's chase truck trailer for a warm ride home.

The ride ended with a BBQ and ride video's at Steve and Lehua Lau's horse ranch.

Mahalo! rider bruddah's for one good flyin' Hawaiian time…John DeSoto would have loved this ride.
  15. Gasser

Oddometer:
    Great colorful action shots mah-man.

16. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gasser, though I don't know if there will be many more till Spring, Winter is approaching! Hell, it was down to 68.2 at my house this morning!!! :vardy

Time to bring the Brass Monkeys in off the Porch!:rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. Gasser

Oddometer:
  18. ToySldr

ToySldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm living in Oahu, does anybody have experience with buying from South Seas Cycles?
  19. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Only parts for me but they would take a phone order and ship to the Big Isle cheap so it was always a good experience. What are you looking for? Domenico's in Kaneohe does KTMs, Tiki Cycles Betas, and what's his nuts up in Wahiawa has Ossas. Loss of Pfleuger kind of handed the Honda and Yamaha sales to SS.
  20. stan.riner

stan.riner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob,
    Do you have an extra bike that Noah could use? Maybe you guys could take him for a ride? He's currently riding around the world and will be in Hawaii on the Big Island soon. I've been following his thread for a while and hope to do a RTW ride someday. He definetly has some good stories since he started on the US West coast and just finished Japan (East bound).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22883376#post22883376