950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a little of the white powder in my tank when bike was new. It is an '06, now with 32k miles. I have never has any fuel related problems, other than the pump. Seems to me I read in this thread and/or the Adventure forum about this being fairly common

FWIW.
  2. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know, mine is an 06 as well with 20k plus. Never seen that stuff you mention, still think it may be fuel additives in your area IMHO
  3. mrdirtbikerider

mrdirtbikerider Russ Martin

Oddometer:
    I always use 100% gas, non ethanol. Just to be on the safe side, I might try using different gas station.

Also noticed some of my coolant hose connections, have tiny leaks. It may be from setting 2 weeks. Or the special ktm hose crimps. Has anyone changed there clamps out yet?
  4. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got that stuff for the longest time. I cleaned the tanks and no change. When changing the fuel screws to flex jet i found there were no O rings in place, oops. Much better now, but i still park it without fuel in the float bowls
  5. cnw126

cnw126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is what I was thinking! I have no proof but it seems reasonable.
  6. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    My hose clamps weep at the plastic junction between the heads. Have for a while and I notice the "sweat" after long aggressive rides. I haven't messed with it since I have seen the hoses continue to leak at that joint, on other bikes, even after replacing the KTM clamps with traditional screw clamps. Replacing the hoses with a set of silicone ones will put a stop to the leakage.
    I believe eSong did a set on his. I'll search this thread for his post and link it.

edit to add: cant find the post with my search fu...
  7. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Years ago, in my garage, we'd cut lines of white powder on top of the gas tank of one of the bikes in the garage, and get all energized up, and work on bikes. Sorry, re-living my younger days.
  8. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Corndog! You are cutting up in class again! You probably never heard that before, either...
  9. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all--

Does anyone have a suggestion for bigger tanks for a 2007 950 SMR? What have people tried?

Thanks!!
  10. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    The Aqualine tanks made to fit the SE are a drop on. Uses the same seat too.

In fact, anything made to fit the SE will work, including the Wolfmas SE luggage racks as well as CJ Designs Tail racks.
  11. wiseblood

Oddometer:
  12. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My charging system stopped charging. Changed the RR with a new stock unit and still not charging. Any suggestions beyond a stator, and where to check to make sure?

Thanks.
  13. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
  14. awork13

awork13 Gas was made to burn

Oddometer:
    Make sure your battery is still good, then check the connector coming out of the stator to see is there is an open and to see if its putting out AC voltage.
  15. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Walter,

I've had a few problems with my charging system during the past years. All resolved. I've posted a couple of times here and there on Adv. This info may help.

First you must have a known good battery to diagnose any charging system issue.

Here are my posts on the subject.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14204168&postcount=4313
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14244915&postcount=4326
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18525319&postcount=7116
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18527583&postcount=7122
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18570017&postcount=67

Those pretty much sum up my issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    NM

16. wiseblood

Oddometer:

Ahh, cool:

[​IMG]

They say: "Minimal trimming of the stock tank shrouds is necessary for fitment." No instructions found so far. Any idea what they're talking about?

FYI, link to the product on Safari's website:

http://safaritanksusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=20

Seems like a BIG increase -- 30 liters (up from stock 14 liters). I've never had a motorcycle with a nearly 8 gallon capacity! Seems huge.

Anyway, still not sure, but gonna make a decision in the next day or three.
  17. BuckMoto

BuckMoto Adventure Napping

Oddometer:
    The stock fuel tank capacity is in direct proportion to the discomfort of the stock seat.

It is likely that KTM spared no costs and assembled a team of the world's leading AssTROphysicists (AssTiredness/RednessOnomy) to determine the point at which the average rider reached a level of discomfort that required stopping to get off and stretch. This level of discomfort, known as an "Asphalt", was found to first occur at an average of 110 to 120 miles on the stock 950 SMR seat. This first Asphalt occurance is referred to as "AP1" and the fuel tank capacity was worked out in accordance.

Further study showed that the second Asphalt (AP2) and subsequent Asphalts ocurred at increasingly shorter intervals, and when plotted, follow a logrithemic curve as most things in nature do. I could give you the equation for this, but since leaving college, I have never had to use that math again and don't remember how. Frankly, that sort of thing is tiresome and no one gives a crap anyway. As the curve steepens, there is a point where the average rider has had enough for one day and this is termed the AW point, or the point one becomes Ass-Whipped. One may find interesting that although the interval of the Asphalts is fairly consistant between riders, the AW point is not. It seems that some riders have built up a tolerance to how many Asphalts they can endure before becoming Ass-Whipped.

In a more general 52.6 million dollar, non 950 SMR-specific study funded by the US congress, the findings concluded that riders in an attempt to avoid an Ass-Whipping resorted to:
    1) More comfortable aftermarket custom-made seats
    2) Strapping the pelts of dead animals to their seats
    3) Wearing padded riding shorts

No, I really don't have anything better to do at the moment.:D
  18. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is a LOT of fuel. Not a very pretty solution either. Do you just not want to stop? Or are you more concerned about running dry?

I worry more about the latter, esp Traveling some back roads in PA. The only place I've been in the east with towns that don't have ANY gas stations... I carry a spare fuel can. Something like this:
    http://www.rotopax.com/ or stash a MSR fuel bottle in a bag.

That way the bike is just ugly while traveling. Not that looks are everything, as anyone who's viewed my mug can attest.

But if you just don't want to stop... well my solution won't help at one bit.

Good luck with your choice either way.

Cheers
    NM

19. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Is the black tank that bad? It looks ok to me, but it is hard to see from such a small picture. :dunno

I'd guess my goal is to not be the guy in the group who has to stop first. Given my low fuel economy (discussed elsewhere in this thread :hide), my reserve light is coming on at 60-70 miles, and I'm lucky to make it to 100 miles on a tank.
  20. Spoke

Spoke Wing Ding Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I just rode my new to me 2007 950 SMR...WOW. This thing is an animal. I've ridden a lot of bikes, i have an '04 ZX10R, and I have never felt such a brutal mid-range hit. I've been home for about ten minutes and pacing all around the house I'm finally settling down and writing this. That was a wild ride:eek1:eek1 No wonder you guys are diggin this bike! Makes my '09 1200GS feel like a 1300cc VW...oh it actually is:rofl:rofl