Forrest Gump

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Meriwether, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    How good/bad is the road in Valley of the Gods? I'm heading that way in two weeks, and was curious about the condition of the road.
  2. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr Gone,

for a gravel road, it was in very good condition. I ride a Guzzi 1200 Sport and it was no trouble at all. Here is a photo.
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2542342/
    Regards,
    Mark
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to spend all your time on Duval St.
  4. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Fantastic photo!!!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming that you could average 15-20 miles per hour?

I might just have to add that to my route.
  5. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr Gone,

it was one of the highlights of my trip. Valley of the Gods is aptly named as it does have a spiritual feel about, and I'm not really that way inclined. Please don't be in a hurry, stop and feel the vibe. Also do the brown bits on Cannonshot's map, (earlier in this tread ) to Goose Necks and that dead end road, I forget the name, at the top of Moki Dugway thats gives you a grand view over the whole region, and its all free.

Cheers,
    Mark.
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I keep trying to squeeze in every great destination on my trip (leaving in 15 days, which means I am in serious countdown mode). I believe I can ride Valley of the Gods, which should only add a couple hours, total, to my trip, but I need to hit Shiprock before sunset and so that doesn't leave me a heck of a lot of time.

So, unfortunately, I don't think I can do Moki Dugway and the overlook at the end of Mulie Point Road. Although I'd really love to, it will have to wait for another trip. Which is a great excuse for another trip, don't you think?

I am managing to squeeze in a brief stop at Goosenecks, though. Trying to slam 4,000 miles and 10 national parks into 11 days is a brutal logistical nightmare, but I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks for the advice. If I find myself running ahead of schedule, I will definitely try to do Moki Dugway.
  7. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trust me, Mr Gone, it'll only add an hour total (if that) to go up Moki and see Mulley. You can add the time by twisting the throttle more than usual. Easy to do on the Rez roads to Shiprock.

Trust me and Mark--it's must see if you're doing VOG.

Have a great trip!

Oh, and hi Mark!
  8. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Okay, okay... you've convinced me. :D

I do have another question: by "twisting the throttle more than usual" on the rez roads (like 160 and 64), is that because they're great roads, or there's no speed enforcement? Because I have an FJR that will comfortably cruise at 120 mph all day long with no problem. I just usually keep it around 70 so any speeding tickets don't land me in jail.

By the way, I absolutely appreciate the advice!!! :freaky
  9. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    very true. never go there except for new years eve party. between kayaking, riding bicycles, kite surfing, snorkeling, we're pretty worn out when Duval gets going. I did trailer my bike down once...big mistake as there are no place to ride other than us1.
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, where you gonna ride in Key West ? You don't need a bike down there. all you need is your feet; I usually rent a scooter for one day. I like walking around the neighborhoods and looking at some of the interesting architecture. After 3-4 days I'm ready to move on. I rode down there last October, took my time. I rode from Biloxi to Gainesville, to Naples, then to, Florida City. Next day ( Sunday) I rode on down to KW. This worked out great as I was able to take it easy and see some stuff I wanted to see on the trip down. When I got there I parked the bike and walked everywhere except one day when I rented a scooter. When I left I rode home in two days; KW to Gainesville and Gainesville to Biloxi. Nice trip and I'm ready to do it again.