Tires

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SOTA, Jul 11, 2013.

1. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this is a dead horse but when I. Search "best tire" or "tire recommendations " or so on it comes up with every thread with those key words. Anyway I have a 03 dr650 with a death wing in front and a dunlop 606 in rear and that setup is decent in dirt but I have now registered the bike and I'm using it for comuting so I'm on the road most of the time but I do like to explore the dirt when I see something interesting. So I think a 50/50 tire will fit me best. I'm far from rich but I will spend a little extra if its worth it. Let me know what you guys like
  2. matt33

matt33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a Motoz Tractionator Desert HT on my KTM 690 Enduro about 500 miles ago. I'm very happy with it. It's the only dirt oriented DOT knobby that I've found that seems to last a while. I paid $117 shipped and I will buy another when this one wears out. I should get about 2,000 miles out of this Motoz rear.

I had good luck with the Dunlop 606 on my WR250R, but they don't make that in a 140 width, so I got the the Motoz instead for the 690. The Pirelli MT21 is also great except for the fact that my KTM wears them out quickly.

I know these tires might be a little more aggressive than you're looking for, but these work well for how and where I ride. Here's the Motoz on my bike with about 250 miles on it:
    [​IMG]
  3. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been realy impressed with my Dunlop I think it has 1500 miles on it and its about 40% but its way noisy on the road and I'm not sure if I trust it in turns
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Bridgestone TW (what you call "death wing") 302 is about a 50/50 deal, and an excellent tire. The 4.60-17 rear is a little smaller in diameter than the stock 120/90-17 tire and will lower the seat and gearing a small amount. I didn't look up the size of your D606.
  5. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think of the pirelli Scorpion?
  6. Johnrunner89

Johnrunner89 AdventureNewb

Oddometer:
    The d606 is a good choice for both street and off road as you know, but if you want something more street friendly perhaps try a trials type tire like the pirelli mt43. I just switched to it so I can't give you any feedback yet. The pirelli scorpions I hear do well but wear rather quickly.
  7. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that's not good to hear since they are the most expensive
  8. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've Gota say the Avon distanza is realy tempting me since I've been pushing the bike through the twisties the last 2 days and I did feel the trail wing give a little bit on one and it made my butthole pucker up a bit. How do you guys normally buy tires? Online? Or at a dealership?
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenda K270 or Shinko 244 rear. IRC TR8 Battle Rally front. It's the hot combo right now for dualsporting a DR650.

The K270 rear lasts 10K miles for some people. I'll probably only get about 1/2-2/3 of that mileage on my current 130/80-17. I have beaten the crap out of it.

The IRC TR8 front is more capable than your TW front offroad, without really sacrificing much onroad. It can be cheaper too.
  10. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    I USE THE SAME COMBO!!!!!!:lol3:clap:freaky

I expect 2500 miles on the k270 though lol
  11. SOTA

SOTA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm probably more in the 80/20 range I'm not having much fun with a knobby tire right now. Also I should say I'm comuting 60 miles a day pure street. But it's been more with the bike since I'm having a blast Ill ride around after work so it might be up to 70 or 80 miles a day but I'm constantly looking for dirt paths also. If a tire lasted me 10000 miles I think I would go crazy unless it was on a sport bike.
  12. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Shinko 244's and 705's.

Sarah
  13. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I used a set of Dunlop 603 on my 640 on a trip last year.

I only put them on because I had them sitting around and I needed to ride 2500 or so Klms of tar and I thought I would burn through them before fitting some better rubber.

I ended up leaving the rear on for the the whole week I was riding around Tasmania, had a brand new Michillin T63 that I was carrying on the back but was happy enough with the 603 that I didn't bother to change it until the return leg.

Front was used for the whole trip.

[​IMG]

Next set of tyres I get for my LC4 that I will be using for a work hack will be either 603s or 605s.
  14. thumpthumpthump

thumpthumpthump Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    THe kenda 270 rear and a scorpion rally up front I get 3000 to 4000 out of the rear with hard road and gravel use. Its a little squirmy till the knobs wear a little. thumpthump
  15. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I've been impressed with the front MotoZ Tractionator S/T front and I/T rear. That rear is more dirt than you want to run but it is durable. The front is holding up well beyond my expectations, especially for a Soft Terrain tire. You will like it on the road as the lugs have big shoulders to support them. They slide a bit on dirt and gravel but only if you push 'em.

Sean :bmwrider
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got 7200 miles out of a Mefo Super Explorers on my old KTM950. The front tire was terrible in the mud, so my choice would be a Mefo rear matched with a DOT knobby up front.

I have had excellent experience with Michelin T63's on my Yamaha. They are quiet and great in both mud and sand. Maybe match a Mefo Explorer to a Michelin T63 front tire. I'm going to try that on my KTM690R, which I ride about 50/50.
  17. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have been running a MT43 on a crf250 and love it. I am getting one for the 650 soon. I have seen MT43s that are 5 years old and still going strong.
  18. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't stand the fact that they have no rounded edge and therefore are very sketch to lean over on the road. For single track they are great though.
  19. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody in another tire thread (specific to the ktm 690 e, I believe) posted good things about the Dunlop D908RR tires.. I was going to give either those or a Motoz tire a try after my Pirelli MT21s wear down.. So far I'm at 750mi and the rear knobs are chunking a bit but they seem ok. Work great on dirt, too.

Any 2nd opinions about the D908RRs would be greatly appreciated!
  20. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put some shinko 244's on my girlfriend's klr, they seem pretty good for what they are. Sketchy in wet grass though, watch that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2