2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Revolutions

Revolutions Revs

Oddometer:
    :eek1
    Terra's over here in Aus are having issues of bad head shake when non standard front tyres are fitted. When fitted with a non standard front tyre, and when the speed approaches 130kph the bike begins to weave noticeably, any increase in speed has a proportional increase in sphincter clench, in a word, it's scary, you really believe that the bike might spit you off!! Change back to the original fitment front tyre and the speed at which the hear shake occurs is raised by 10-15kph....!? The problem is complex and an easy fix unlikely, higher tyre pressures do have some beneficial effect, but changing the fork tubes location in the triple clamps or raising/lowering the rear suspension make no improvement at all. Lack of stiffness in the frame or forks or just plain head geometry might be the problem?
  2. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:

I've got a suspicion that the front rim not as good as the rest of the bike. I just had my 10k km service today & changed to MT21's at the same time. My dealer did say that they had a bit of difficulty getting the balancing right and asked me if it had taken a big hit. It hasn't ! If guys are doing their own changes then this might be an issue.

The knobblie certainly made the bike different to ride on the way home. Speed test tomorrow.
  3. vavoom

vavoom n00b

Oddometer:
    I purchased the 650 T R a few months back - traded it in for the BMW 650 sertao little bit more in cost but much more enjoyable ride - carful with the tale end on the TR it is a bad design & will hit the tire as a result busting the tale end off, unlike the BMW where the body is lengthen past the back tire for clearance
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Interesting findings for sure. But to be fair ... nearly every dual sport bike I've owned have tended to have a weave at high speeds on pavement. None ever went tank slapper however ... but it does get your attention. :eek1

'87 XL600
    '92 XR600 (Baja kit)
    '93 XR650L
    '97 XR400 (Baja kit)
    '98 KLR650
    '00 KTM 640E
    '06 DR650

Most all the above bikes (all with 21" front wheel) would have a slight weave starting around 75 mph and above. My XR400 would only go 80 flat out ... and it had a WER Steering damper, so it doesn't figure in this.

Tires always affect the weave. But I've found on some of those bikes, raising the rear up a bit helped a bit. My current DR can get a light weave at around 90 mph ... I just relax my grip, no problems.

If the Terra truly tank slaps ... then the issue needs to be figured out.
    Anyone else feel any weaving at high speed?
  5. Harder1

Harder1 braaaap!

Oddometer:
    I have a slight (normal to me) weave at 80+ mph. I'm running MT21's and I balanced my wheels at home.
  6. farp

farp DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer:
    I had my terra up to 163 kph (101 mph) and there was no sign of a weave, or any uncertainty in terms of steering, wheel balance, or anything else. If there was I'd never have gone that fast. I'm still using the OEM Saharas on it so the situation might change when I switch to a more aggressive tread. I frequently run it up to 130 to 140 kph (80 to 85 mph) and have never experienced anything of concern.

John
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    anyone having balance issues running a rim lock?

if so, give the Motion Pro lightweight rim locks a shot - they're half the weight (twice the price :lol3)....I've used them on many dualsported offroad bikes with great results.
    It's a lot easier to balance the wheel with them.

I also like the fender suggestion - it looks like it catches some air and could induce a wiggle at 80 mph
  8. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Strada will weave a bit at higher speeds...I can induce it somewhat by the way I sit on the bike and how I hold the bars. I reckon it's in the suspension/frame somewhere as the Strada has a 19" front and low fender...but I know....it's there at higher speeds. Just gotta pay some attention...it's not awful...I can live with it. If you are in a turn working the bike it seems much more solid IMHO than it does straight up without any kind of load on the suspension. I fooled with the rear preload ...didn't seem to make any difference. Going to experiment with tire pressure too...can't hurt.

One thing though..my fender is low so it catches little to no air. I reckon it's caused by something else.
  9. lrgart

lrgart 2 wheels and a motor, I’m in!

Oddometer:
    That thing is bad ass!:freaky
  10. Ol'NumNuts

Ol'NumNuts A Bloke and his Akita- Flynn

Oddometer:
    Hey with a name like Muddler you shouldn't be knocking the 'Barbed Wire' beer... :rofl

Actually my local bottl'o recently had a promotion on Bud's....

Well not as good as our finest... But not too shabby... I wouldn't mind washing a days dust down with a few...
  11. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair anuff numnuts (you're one to talk:lol3)
    I just wanted to stir up our Yankee friends
    They all taste pretty good after a couple :freaky
  12. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    You can't tell me Foster's is a great beer...
  13. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
  14. avianello

avianello Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well of course Fosters is cats piss.

Surely you didn't think us Ozzies were that dumb to export the good stuff.....:rofl
  16. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, no one drinks that shit
    You need to try Boags RE!
  17. thumper477

thumper477 retired but not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Put down a deposit on a terra this morning.Purchased it from Eurosport in Asheville,NC.Very nice folks to deal with.They are going to flash the computer with the latest software to make sure it will not have the stalling/surging issues that have been reported by some owners.I think they might have one terra left.Sale price 6,000,no shipping or set up fees.99 dollar doc fee.Waiting for the skid plate to come in.Will p/u bike in 1-2 weeks.Can't wait.
  18. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Anybody read latest Motorcyclist mag? Editor Cook does an editorial whinging about how much money he wasted on his DR650 ... only to discover how much better the new Terra is. Later in the issue they compare the KLR, Terra and KTM 690E. The KLR sort of won the shoot out based on editors comments but the Terra really got the most positive comments and was clearly the most fun. Everyone hated the KTM.

My question is ... will the Terra be as tough and reliable as the DR650? I think Cook suffers from HP Penis envy and is seduced by the 13 extra HP the Terra has over the DR650. The DR was never compared or mentioned in the test.

Kudos to Husky ... how stupid would they be to discontinue this GREAT bike?
    I hope someone at KTM is paying attention out there! :deal
  19. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Same as posted in Cafe Husky:

Well, I just met Berg and got my Terra back with the BRMoto/Wolfman side racks!! Very solid setup that gives me the TERRFORMER-style racks with no welding on my part! Berg designed the cross-member to support the tail; with the cross-member and 6 mounting bolts, this rack does *not* move! I think you could lift the whole bike from the racks!! Low-quality pictures will hopefully get posted tomorrow.

I am using the Seahorse 720s for commuting and had Berg bring me a set of his "top loader conversion kit"(my term, not his): this kit takes a standard side-loading Pelican type bag and makes it a top-loader!! It has plastic inserts that make a box of the lid that closes snugly into the base. Web straps limit opening and allow "stuffing" without the lid falling open! Very excited to try these, as the top-loading cases are either too small, too large or too expensive!

Also got BRMoto's kit that provides quick-release mounts that connect the 720s to the racks.

Very worthwhile sacrifice of my bike for a week!! And I wish Berg good weather as he unwinds with a little Utah dirt and sand dune riding!! Guess Wyoming is still pretty snowed in!!
  20. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Eurosport has been awesome to deal with. I passed 2 different Husky dealers on my way to buy one from Justin. Mine came off the floor running RIGHT. It has been a blast thus far, and they still have a stash of parts waiting on me in back that will "Terra-fy" my Strada.