Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gnuse

gnuse Ride to Fly

Oddometer:

Yes, there is at least one thing worse......finding the salt, gravel, and sand at too high speed.

Great report, look forward to more.....may drag me over to that area for some riding.
  2. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gonna watch this.
  3. brunstei

brunstei Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D Hey! Just came across your thread (and emailed you). I've just temporarily transplanted to H-ville myself about three weeks ago, with my bikes left behind in Vancouver, BC - so Sunday I picked up a ride and now I'm ready to go exploring. I'll have to scout through your thread and see some of the places you've already checked out.

Done a lot of miles on scooters myself (50 cc ones, no less; something like 18,000 miles on them; the last was an Aprilia SR50F with about 9.5 hp so pretty similar to what you have. They're great!)

Drop me a line sometime if you want a riding buddy for a day outing with some cameras and a search for the best backwoods baaah-beeee-kewww places. I'm going to start scoping out some of debandi's ride reports, he has some great ones of cool places to see in AL as I recall...
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail right on the head. It's hard to beat a scooter for practical and fun urban transportation. The rest of the world has known this for years. I'll have more on this in a bit.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Even worse than that.................Suffering PMS due to not riding because of all the salt, sand, gravel, snow, ice and cold. I'm glad I live where I can ride year round. I lived in Maine for four years and I did ride every winter month that I was there. I was also a lot younger and more gung ho back then:D
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I plan on making it over to Decatur one of these days.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    PM sent. What kind of ride did you pick up?
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It looks like it will be another great day in the Rocket City; 50 degrees and mostly sunny. This will be my third day in a row of riding and a great way to start the new year.

First I have some business to take care of. I want to make sure I can get my scooter into the back of my truck. I had built a ramp extender and want to try it out.

[​IMG]

I started with 4 pieces of 2 x 4 but had to go to 6 to reduce the ramp angle enough that the scooter wouldn't ground out.

Next on today's agenda, take my DR250 out and see how a motorcycle feels now that I've been riding a scooter.

Here they are side by side:

[​IMG]

So I jumped on the DR and headed off. After riding the Super 8, the DR felt big and high effort......and it's only a 250:huh The super 8 has a much lighter throttle, no clutch, and it's even much easier to get on since I don't have to lift my leg over the seat.

I quickly come to the first speed bump that are all over the apartment complex roads. I can just ingnore it on the DR. A 21 inch front tire and long travel suspension just soak up and speed bumps or even pot holes.

The steering on the DR is much slower than the super 8 and heavier. Thats not to say the DR has heavy steering, it's much lighter than say a 600cc sport bike, it's just heavy compared to the super 8. Of course the DR has much more power, probably between 2 and 3 times as much.

I head straight south and eventually come to the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge.

[​IMG]

Just like yesterday, lots of muddy water but no actual sign of wildlife:huh
    So I head back. I have errands to run.
  10. brunstei

Oddometer:
    PM replied. A 2004 SV650S with various "Frankensteinings" to make it more touring and less sport. Just went and got my AL plate on it today - I felt really weird riding it last few days with no plate. Back home I'd have landed myself in a lot of trouble for driving an unplated vehicle. :huh
  11. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was also nice in Roswell so I took all three bikes out for a spin. Coming off the DR650 and on to the Agility makes the Kymco really feel like a toy (but a fun toy). I remember when I got the DR, I had been riding a WeeStrom for a year and the DR felt like a motorized bicycle on the ride home from the dealer, it was so light and maneuverable compared to the Wee. Now, the scooter is the one that feels like a motorized bicycle and the DR feels like a real motorcycle! Funny how perceptions can change, isn't it?
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I am addicted to three things. Riding is one. I won't mention the second since this a family program. The third is Ice cream:D I'm out of ice cream so I need to head to the store. This is what scooters are really made for. Running errands around town without using much gas. I could do this on the DR but it has almost no storage and I would need to wear a backpack.

Speaking of Gas mileage, after four fill ups, the super 8 is averaging 77 MPG with a high of 85 and low of 69.

Riding to the grocery store may not be as exciting or as much of an adventure as riding the BAM road or a trip to Ushuia, but it is something I can actually do today and still go to work tonight. My first stop is Publix.

[​IMG]

I pick up a loaf of bread from the bakery. It fits easily under the seat next to my tool kit.

[​IMG]

The piece of paper next to the gas cap is what I use to record and track my gas mileage. The super 8 has no trip odometer.

Next stop is Wal Mart. There is a 4 lane 55MPH road that runs straight to Wal Mart but I'm trying to avoid the higher speed roads until I have this thing fully broken in. Besides, the detour I take allows me to throw this thing around on some tight corners:ricky The extra mile I end up riding is not a big deal at 77 MPG. I really like the way the super 8 handles on tight curves. I'm talking 90 degree turns from one street to another. It has super light steering yet does not feel twitchy or unstable. The tires seem to have good grip. I can't wait to get this thing on a twisty road in the mountains. Deals Gap would be fun although something tighter would be better. Anyone know any really twisty roads near Huntsville that aren't covered with sand and salt?

I get to my next stop and find a parking spot right up front.

[​IMG]

I get my ice cream and a few other groceries. It all easily fits in the trunk.

[​IMG]

Then I re-trace my route back home.

OK, this was not exactly the most exciting ride on this forum or even the most exciting ride I have done. Still, I did get to go riding and I enjoyed it.

When I first started riding over 30 years ago, this type of riding was pretty exciting. I may have read about some exciting rides in the motorcycle magazines, but this is closer to what I did. Eventually, I got the chance to do more exciting riding. I have done all kinds of riding, taken some great trips, and ridden in about 40 states. The problem is, I have gotten spoiled. It has become harder to enjoy the simpler pleasures. While I can't turn back the clock 30 years, I can try to regain some of my ability to enjoy the simpler pleasures. That is one reason I got this scooter. So far it seems to be working.:nod
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now you just need to get something really big and heavy, maybe a full dress Harley or Victory, and even your WeeStrom will feel tiny:D

It is nice to have a diverse set of bikes. I plan on getting rid of some of my bikes and getting a more diverse(and smaller) collection.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the great things about this forum is that it offers the opportunity to meet fellow adventure riders. Last week another inmate, Brunstei, happened to read this ride report. He is also new to Huntsville and has made it his home away from home. In his case, home is a little farther than for me. Vancouver is just a "little farther" than Marietta, GA. So we got together for dinner. I took on pic when he showed up.

[​IMG]

Then we were to busy talking to take and pics of the food. We are looking forward to doing a ride together sometime but our schedules will make that challenging. In the meantime, He has also started a ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650489

This weekend I drove home to Marietta but had to come back early due to forecast of a bad winter storm. I got back last night before it started to snow. I woke up this morning to this.

[​IMG]

So I went out to get some pics.

[​IMG]

Why isn't this guy out riding?:dunno

[​IMG]

It seems like a perfect day for a ride:p3rry
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Like I posted earlier, it seemed like a perfect day for a ride.

It is really nice having a garage, saves me the hassle of brushing the snow off of my bikes.

[​IMG]

My DR is an old pro at riding in the snow so I pull it out first and go for a ride. First stop is behind my truck for a pic.

[​IMG]

Then I ride around some. The DR handles pretty well in the snow. I try to ride in fresh snow as opposed to the tire tracks where the snow has been packed into ice. I find a nice spot for another pic.

[​IMG]

On the way back I ask someone (who probably thought I was crazy) to take my pic.

[​IMG]

My front tire at the end of the ride.

[​IMG]

Now for some real adventure, time to try the Super 8 in the snow:huh

So I pull it out.

[​IMG]

And off I go. I think it takes about 50 feet for me to realize that this isn't going to work very well. I go a little further and turn around. There are some tires tracks and icy spots in the tracks. Just turning around is a challenge. Then I have to go slightly up hill to go back. The rear tire just spins and the front tire doesn't want to steer. I have to get off and push. I eventually make it back but I am now sweating. I think I rode about 50 yards. Well, I DID go for a ride and it was an adventure.

Here is the "after" pic.

[​IMG]

Anyone know of any 14" knobbies?
    Phipsd likes this.
  16. brunstei

Oddometer:
    I wondered if you were going to try the scooter :D

I dumped mine on black ice long ago (while wearing foul weather sailing gear and an inflatable life vest, which must have made for a pretty weird sight, all lying on the road). Since then scooter + snow/ ice haven't mixed for me!
  17. Marbleminer

Marbleminer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take it we will probably not see the scooter on the next Global Warming and Drought Ride? :D

Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think not. Although it would have one major advantage over all the dual sport bikes..............It would be the easiest to pick up :lol3
  19. fj1289

fj1289 just a n00b...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics! I think the first pic is the corner where I drug my first peg! On an old CB450!

I grew up in Huntsville, and still visit - just never have a bike there anymore.

Lots of good memories there just getting out on the bike and going - with no destination at all!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since you grew up here, do you have any recomendations of really twisty roads near Huntsville?