Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mic_detonator

mic_detonator ride

Oddometer:
    Nice meeting you last night gonzo
  2. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
  3. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    New mud flavors?
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Can't tell ya, itza surprise.
  5. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Just do what Soup Can Racing did at the cyclocross, run an elevated plank across a manure pit. A pitfall worthy of a soft landing
  7. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Pedaling, Mohican, 10:00 am start time. Could be a big group
  8. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    Any of you wear a pressure suit for street riding? Pros/cons?
  9. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Not for street. They lack abrasion resistance. Most street falls will be the initial falling impact then skidding unless you hit something head on or during a skid. MX armor focuses more on impact and less on abrasion. To my knowledge there's no real abrasion resistant MX armor or a street armor with a roost plate. You could wear a street jacket over MX armor if you wanted it all.
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the nice weather today, I got the WR mended from the biff I had a little while ago that holed the ignition side engine case. I replaced the case cover, gasket, and shifter. I also pounded out the crossbar on my handlebars (the aluminum bars didn't bend but they flexed, and the crossbar is steel and so it bent), and checked all the bolts for tightness.

Parts were actually pretty cheap, $76 for the cover, $4 for the gasket, and $35 for a new Driven Racing aluminum shifter.

I still need to change the oil a couple times to get all the moisture out and get out whatever shit was introduced through the hole and via my less than sterile repair technique, but it's otherwise done and oil tight.

[​IMG]
  11. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I wear one on the way to the trails. I have an old motoport jacket that I wear over that I took the armor out of. For strictly street riding though I don't.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    In hot weather, a jersey over top of a pressure suit is awesome to ride in. I disagree with danjal. Most crashes on the street - that gear will make a difference in - involve skidding, and the plastic armor of a pressure suit is well suited to skidding. Compare it to hard armor in your typical street gear, and I think it's more stout. I have no problem wearing one on the street and feeling comfortable.
  13. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't do much road riding,but I got the Acerbis Koerta naked for just that reason. I can wear it with mx elbow pads and a jersey when its hot or under a jacket,it fit me better since i'm "big" than the actual pressure suits I tried on.
  14. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    Anybody on an old-style KLR today in Springfield? :ear I saw you from Mental's Jeep.
    Also, Competition Accessories is a big darn place :eek1
    They had a used V-Strom 1k in there for pretty cheap :deal
  15. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:

Good thread to read on the Koerta.
  16. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a coincidence, I wasn't even close to Springfield today. You should have stopped by. :lol3

I hope you, momma, and the munchkins are doing well! :wave
  17. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I'll take my textile jacket over my pressure suit on the street any day of the week. The pressure suit has good armor, but all the spots in between are just mesh. My Alpinestars jacket has armor and padding in all the same spots as my Fox pressure suit, but then it also has a nice thick layer of abrasion resistant material over the whole thing. I can think of a lot of places on my upper body that would be ground off in a street crash with the pressure suit.

It's better than nothing, but I think a good textile jacket is the best option for street riding. A pressure suit is a good compromise, but I am almost thinking of replacing mine with a regular chest protector this summer just because they are so damn hot on slow moving trails.
  18. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    In other news, it was a sad day for me...Oceanbum's buddy bought my KLR 250 and I sent it on it's way. I have had lot of good times on that thing in the past 3 years, and have made several good friends in the past year because I owned it. Bittersweet, the WRR is the bike I have wanted for almost a year now, but I'm gonna miss the stupid simplicity of the KLR and how I prided myself in hanging with the WRR's on a beater bike.

I pulled the WRR out at lunchtime today and let my buddy Tom take it for a spin. After he finished, I got a little stupid on it and ended up putting it down hard in my yard of all places. I was on the top of second and the slick mud on top of the frozen subsurface got the best of me. I ate shit on my right side and put the hurt on my right leg and ankle, my ankle is about 2 1/2 times it's normal size right now......that's why you don't ride in workboots.....
  19. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    The mesh is why I won't recommend off road armor for on road. I've torn some brands flexing or simply by putting it on. Now imagine asphalt sanding your armor off and pulling it away with friction. Not pretty. It wasn't designed for it either. Might work well enough for it though, but that's up to you to decide.

In all honesty, I should be in full leathers on the busa. Problem is,leather is just way too hot for me. I have a Joe rocket Phoenix for a jacket. It's good for all but the hottest days when moving slow.

Gear in general is a touchy subject like oil and tires. Use what works for you or what you need.
  20. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Yes, but Wasn't me. :D