You Must Go East To Go "Out West"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Humunn, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Several riding friends from the Bay area and a couple from Portland made the trek east to Central Oregon in early September for a three day off road ride that would take us as far east as Hotel Diamond which is at the northern end of the Steens Mountain.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I’ve ridden with most of these guys before. Last year we rode the OBDR Crown Jewels route. Those from CA were so impressed with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Oregon</st1:State></st1:place> hospitali<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> that they coaxed a few of their buds to come along for this year’s adventure.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The plan is to ride three days: Friday through Sunday. Friday will take us from Prineville to <st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> via Millican, East Fort Rock, <st1:placeName w:st="on">East</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>. Saturday starts in <st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> and takes us east to the sand dunes, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lost</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Forest</st1:placeType></st1:place>, Gap Ranch and some awesome views and terrain on into Diamond. Sunday we blitz it back west from Diamond to Prineville. Over 500 miles of single track, two track, forest service, logging road and some super spectacular scenery!<o:p></o:p>
    Every ride starts with a pre function get together on Thursday night. Normally this is at one of the nicer restaurants in town but since most of these guys have been here before we met at my favorite infamous cowboy bar, the Horseshoe Tavern, which was where we would always kick off rides years ago when I began riding in <st1:place w:st="on">Central Oregon</st1:place>. Just me sharing some nostalgia.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s Gordon (<st1:City w:st="on">Portland</st1:City>) and <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>(<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City>). I’ve ridden with Gordon a couple times and <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>and I are the last remaining riders of a group that made riding the OBDR a semi annual event years ago.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Jim our chase truck driver and his son Jim trying to talk his dad into buying him a bike. :wink: <o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>, Lee and Rob from CA. <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName> and Lee are back from last year. Rob’s brother came last year but had to cancel at the last minute. These three guys are super riders! <o:p></o:p>
    L to R: Pat, Rob, Lono, <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian, <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>, Lee, Rob, Greg, Jim and Jim.<o:p></o:p>
    And then this motley crew showed up. Met these wet siders a few years ago and now we ride together regularly. Coincidentally they were here at the same time. Cowboy bar full of dirt bikers. Gotta love it.:freaky <o:p></o:p>
    And our lovely waitress who put up with us for the evening!:thumb <o:p></o:p>
    Next up Day 1: Prineville to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place>…<o:p></o:p>
  2. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring it! :lurk
  3. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    ...motley is right. :lurk
  4. Dekay

Dekay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are waiting.........:ddog :ddog
  5. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Day 1 – Prineville to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> by way of East Lake Resort, about 135 miles.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The boys show up at the staging area between 6:30 and 7:00 with the plan to blast off by 8:00. Today we will meander south through the Millican and East Fort Rock OHV parks then bend to the west a bit and climb up to the East Lake Resort for lunch then southeast again past Fort Rock and on to <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas Valley where Chase Truck Jim will be waiting with chilled fros<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> beverages. :beer
    Getting ready to roll…<o:p></o:p>
    Pat<o:p></o:p>
    Chase Truck Jim giving Lee’s bike the “one glove test”. Don’t ask. :eek1 <o:p></o:p>
    All Things <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Orange</st1:place></st1:City> Mike :pynd <o:p></o:p>
    Rob and <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian. Knowing what I know now I am wondering if this is about when <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian thought he put his duffle bag (with street clothes, etc.) in the chase truck. More on that later.<o:p></o:p>
    Greg<o:p></o:p>
    Railing Rob. Rob normally rides an MX bike but borrowed his brother’s DR650 for the trip. If I could have been faster with the camera I would have had some awesome shots of him drifting through high speed corners, leg extended, bike on a 45 degree angle, back end twitched way out to the side and the dust plume illuminated behind him. Just awesome! <o:p></o:p>
    Gordon brought his DR650 last year but thought he’d lighten his load and try a 250X this time.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s my good buddy and bad cowboy <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName>, running in sweep position. <o:p></o:p>
    Lono picked up this sweet plated KTM just before the trip. First ride!<o:p></o:p>
    Neat and organized chase trailer, as only an anal retentive elementary school principal can do! (hey Jim…I love you maaaan!)<o:p></o:p>
    We gather up for a group picture, pre ride safe<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> talk and ask the good Lord for a blessing on our trip.<o:p></o:p>
    And we are off!<o:p></o:p>
    Much, much more…<o:p></o:p>
  6. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in! :lurk

Your new KTM is a lot purtier than mine, Lono :lol3

WoodsChick
  7. gtlawren

gtlawren old-school nut case

Oddometer:
    It was good to see the SC boy's from last year as well as some new faces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cold crisp air at the staging area had everone getting down to business.
    [​IMG]
    The cool air made it hard to start some bikes that were probably more used to the california heat than high desert chill in Central OR.
    The boys pushing/towing a bike that had drained its battery trying to get it started made for some early entertainment.
    [​IMG]

In the shadows there was frost in the soil from some recent moisture and as we got rolling the sandy-soil was PERFECT
    Very little dust and everyone was railing it. At least it was through Millican untill we got near Fort Rock.
    [​IMG]

This year I made it up the (unnamed?)cinder cone :clap,
    On last years trip on my DR650 I only made it halfway before loosing momentum in the loose scree.
    (the other 650's DR & KLRs did not make it to the top last year either)
    Rob was able to ride his "greased pig" to the top.:D Someday i'm going back on my DR to give another try.
    [​IMG]
    View from the top :smile6
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking back from where we had just ridden
    [​IMG]

Just getting warmed up... :clap
  8. Drewski

Drewski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eagerly anticipating more! :lurk
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Great pics Gordon! Thanks for posting!
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy! Bet you recognize some of these places!
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Heading south out of the staging area.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Lee<o:p></o:p>
    Rob<o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian all fired up.<o:p></o:p>
    Mike<o:p></o:p>
    Rob<o:p></o:p>
    Lono with Greg in the dust :puke1 <o:p></o:p>
    Gordon<o:p></o:p>
    And Bad Cowboy <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName><o:p></o:p>
    Not too much further and we leave the graded road for some whooped out wide single track. This is normally where the first day shakedown occurs. If something is going to happen to the bikes or fall off it is usually here.<o:p></o:p>
    Rob had borrowed a larger tank for the trip. Here is where we found out that the cross over tube was not secure and was resting warmly on the header pipe!<o:p></o:p>
    There was gas everywhere. Notice the shine on Lee’s hands. He’s soaked. :kboom <o:p></o:p>
    We remove the crossover tube and plug off each side with spare tubing and an ample supply of zip ties. Shakedown over, hopefully!<o:p></o:p>
    We meander off onto this rocky and twis<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> ascent. No real good place to stop and snap a pic until here. We were all warmed up and it was time to shed layers.<o:p></o:p>
    That’s the Three Sisters in the background.<o:p></o:p>
    More…<o:p></o:p>
  12. Racinace

Racinace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN... Bring it!!!:clap
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Any of this look familiar? :wink:
  14. Drewski

Drewski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Nice! Getting my High Desert fix through your pic's. I need to get my a.. down there and ride it!
  15. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time for an update?????? :deal
  16. west250

west250 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roadside rebuild!
  17. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys I've been a tad lame on the RR. Spent the weekend riding to CV on one of our "Boys" trips (rides with our sons) but now we are back.

This was a great ride with a few interesting "twists" (literally) along the way. More soon!
  18. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    After a short break we continue south and climb to the top of the cinder cone. Here’s a short vid:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    A few pics from the top. What a great day. Just perfect weather!<o:p></o:p>
    A few miles later we duck under the Hwy 20 tube.<o:p></o:p>
    From here there’s a series of whooped out sandy trails that are pret<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> fun as long as you sit back and stay on the throttle but some of the best riding was after that as we made our way to the East Lake Lodge. Most of the trail/road is irregular and unmaintained logging roads – big enough to allow you to carry speed but uncertain enough to keep you on your toes! No pics of this area as we were too busy riding!<o:p></o:p>
    Here we are arriving at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">East</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> for lunch.<o:p></o:p>
    Great old poster from the 50s. Guess they had innuendo back then too!<o:p></o:p>
    I think we drove her crazy!<o:p></o:p>
    Bad Cowboy showing that burger who’s boss.<o:p></o:p>
    Random pics around the resort area.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">California</st1:place></st1:State> boys. Most of these guys are firefighters and it turns out many of them would have been on the big gas explosion fire in the Bay area if they had been on du<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName>.<o:p></o:p>
    More!<o:p></o:p>
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Leaving East Lake Resort we ride through some fun woodsy trails. Some smooth, some rutted, elevation changes and some spectacular views.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    &#8220;All Things <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Orange</st1:place></st1:City>&#8221; Mike<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName> and Lee<o:p></o:p>
    Railing Rob<o:p></o:p>
    Big Greg<o:p></o:p>
    Lono on that sweet and PLATED 400!<o:p></o:p>
    Rob Y<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG] <o:p></o:p>
    A little later, cresting over the top of a ridge, we catch a view of this: <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    Back down in the desert I get a call that Big Greg is having electrical issues with his bike. Appears he is having a charging problem. We double back to find that the problem was their was a short in the system which wasn&#8217;t allowing the battery to recharge. Without a kick starter backup or a hill to bump start the bike the only options was to tow and try to bump start it. This is a sketchy proposition especially in the sand but was the only option at this point.<o:p></o:p>
    We tried a couple runs with <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian on the bike but he doesn&#8217;t weigh enough to get the tire to bite in the sand.<o:p></o:p>
    So Big Greg steps up.<o:p></o:p>
    Setting up the tow.<o:p></o:p>
    And a short vid of the tow.
    <object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FgVjR6U2zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FgVjR6U2zs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" <o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tian&#8217;s response says it all. We were stoked to get moving again. It was hot and dus<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> and we had many more miles to cover today&#8230;and who knows what surprise awaits us around the bend!<o:p></o:p>
  20. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>Well, THIS is what was around the bend…<o:p></o:p>
    I had been through here two weeks prior and everything was clear. There are small sections of deeded land on the route but this is the first time a “no trespassing” sign has been posted. Bummer. Time to re-route.<o:p></o:p>
    Since our way to the east was blocked, we meander to the north only a short distance to find ourselves blocked in by fences. The only way through is to double back about 10 miles and re-route from there.<o:p></o:p>
    Back at the main north-south road we can either head north, east and then south to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> or head south to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place> then east. We could have fuel issues if we head north and we will be in an area difficult for the chase truck to reach us. We decide to head south to <st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName>, fuel the bikes and then head into <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    A couple shots of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    Off on the trusted and true <st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName> to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> byway.<o:p></o:p>
    Great pic!<o:p></o:p>
    Love this one too.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s an excerpt from an email I recently received from a <st1:City w:st="on">Portland</st1:City> riding bud who (like me years ago) has become intrigued with <st1:place w:st="on">Central Oregon</st1:place> and its history. A bit about the range wars from the not so distant past: <o:p></o:p>
    I got to say, I'm enjoying that book; "The Sandy Knoll Murder".<o:p></o:p>
    We've ridden right by Reid Rock on a couple occasions, I'm sure Greg's been by more than that. <o:p></o:p>
    Here is a link on Google Maps: Reid Rock - location of first sheep kill<o:p></o:p>
    It was here on Feb 04 in 1904 those alleged evil cow men from Prineville rode thru the night some 60 miles to slaughter between 900-3000 sheep, then home again. The herders used the natural formations as make shift corral at night.<o:p></o:p>
    The "death line" was the Silver Lake-Wagon Tire road. To cross North with sheep was death......<o:p></o:p>
    That’s Reed Rock in the distance.<o:p></o:p>
    Looking back.<o:p></o:p>
    It’s getting close to happy hour so we blitz on into CV. The two hot rods are right behind me.<o:p></o:p>
    And <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>has a stogie in his mouth before he even takes off his armor. Addict.<o:p></o:p>
    Looks like Lono’s love fest with the new EXC went just fine today.<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers!<o:p></o:p>
    Bad Cowboy<o:p></o:p>
    After a few beers and a shower it’s chow time.<o:p></o:p>
    We had some fun with our waitress. She was a good sport.<o:p></o:p>
    Not sure where this was heading and I didn’t ask…<o:p></o:p>
    Après dinner…<o:p></o:p>
    Lights out.<o:p></o:p>
    Up tomorrow a LONG day to Hotel Diamond and a short trip to the ER! :eek1 <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>