Bearings in engine oil

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lithous, Apr 15, 2013.

1. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a friend with a 1200. The clutch failed a couple of weeks out of warranty. BMW when asked by the dealer agreed to split the cost of repair. A lot depends on the dealer, they really pulled for the guy. Dave
  2. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah KMC1 suggested the same thing. However I can't split the case to find out so it looks like the dealer will win this round.
  3. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope so, just talked with the dealer here and it is going in tomorrow. Maybe if they won't split the cost they will give me a good value for trade on a new one.
  4. Muddobber

Muddobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang! Thats too bad. Makes one wonder if its a defective part or ? cause of failure on a lightly used bike.
  5. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would assume just a bad bearing. I have looked all over and haven't found another posting of this issue. Now if I was this lucky with a winning lottery ticket.
  6. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    If you've got the cash for a trade deal, that would be fun...but ya gotta know the dealer will have you bent over holding your ankles before you can say "how much will you give me for it?".....:evil

I'd negotiate only on the repair aspect for now...and then after its fixed (hopefully mostly under warrantee) you will get much more for the trade.

YMMV. :freaky
  7. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, i know they have me right now. I will work the repair/warranty issue tomorrow when i drop it off.

After it gets fixed keeps wondering if it will be time to get rid of it for something new or hold on to it and see what happens. Hopefully it wont be the kid fresh from MMI splitting it open.

Anyone here have experience with the service department at GOAZ in Scottsdale?
  8. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We should start a pool on the quote to fix.:wink: Maybe i can recoup the cost of the repair.
  9. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spoke with the dealer today, they are saying they do not believe the bearing is from the engine but possibly from the assembly line or someone put it in their. They could not locate it in their manuals, so they sent the inquiry up to BMW to get thier opinion on it. Should hear something back on it tomorrow. The dealer was saying that they should be able to get it warrantied for any all costs.

Guess i will have to wait and see.

In the mean time I have been looking at the 1200's. Hmmmmmm
  10. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No advice, just forum trolling? :huh

Pretty sure I have had bad things happen to the Japanese bikes I have owned...
  11. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    You certainly suffer alot less emotional pain when you lose a Japanese bike,

I'm sticking with BMW though they just make me feel alot better.
  12. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the dealer calls today with an update from BMW. According to the service department BMW told them they could not identify the bearing so they cannot say if the bearing belongs to the bike.

Now do i have them open it up at the cost of 1700+ to see if it belongs to it or ride as is.

On a side note I'm not to impressed with the service department or sales.
  13. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:

I was only joking earlier when I said someone might have put them in there as a joke.

You have documented it with BMW so you are covered if it is something from the motor. That doesn't mean they won't hassel you. I would ride it rather than spend that kind of money on a chance there is something else in there.

Make sure you have a magnetic drain plug and check it often. Also get one of those magnets on a stick for picking up parts. Stick it down in the crankcase when you check the drain plug. (You can lean the bike over so you don't lose all your oil) Check out your oil filter when you change. Hopefully you can pick up any pieces before they do any damage. Any other pieces you pick up may add to the puzzel so they can figure out if it is something from the bike.
  14. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    Sidebar:
    What part of AZ are you in?
  17. lithous

lithous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phoenix area
  18. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would not ride the bike. I had a ninja 1000 that threw a rod on me, a suzuki GS1100 that broke a chain on me and a yamaha xs650 that blew either a rod and then the tranny or vice versa.....in all 3 instances my back wheel locked up completely. The yamaha did me on the interstate 5 seconds after I got into the left lane to pass a car - that was truly a near death experience trying to not fall into the path of 80mph highway traffic as I was fish tailing all over the road. The GS1100 was at about 45mph literally as I was slowing to stop into the honda dealer :rofl...they all thought I was some dickhead showing off until I took my helmet off and my eyes were pie plates...... :yikes

Anyway, I share that with you because IF it is a bearing which can either be a rotational part which will seize (doubtful since as has been pointed out the bearings look too small) or if its just the source of the shrapnel which jams up and seizes your transmission - It. Is. Not. Funny. :eek1

I would put the bike in as a possible warranty claim simply because its not a joke, and frankly if I were the Dealer I wouldn't allow you to just ride off into the sunset with Best Wishes - you've asked their professional opinion of the situation and potentially that could be a major liability issue for them if something happens.

I may be over reacting, but that's because I've been there 3 times and I'm truly scared of that happening again.

Ymmv..... :freaky
  19. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I said the same thing in post #18 but nobody listened to me! GH