Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_bike_virgin

The_bike_virgin n00b

Oddometer:
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that I hate riding in to the big cities?
    Tons of traffic
    Crazy drivers
    Not really sure where am I and where to go
    More expensive
    Blah, blah blah

I was planning to bypass Quito. I don't have good maps loaded in to my GPS. I took a wrong turn that took me in to Quito at rush hour. It sucked!
    I was not planning to stay the night there but it was already dark.
    It took some searching but I food a hotel in the heart of the city that had room in the entrance to the lobby for my motorcycle. And for dinner, I went to a restaurant called Vista Hermosa. And let me tell you, the view was amazing! The restaurant sat on top of the roof of a 5 story building overlooking the entire city. I could see all the church towers, monuments built on top of all the mountains surrounding the city and all the lights of the city below and above me. The food was good too......lamb and rice for $12. The hotel is nice too.......$25 a night!
    Hey, not all big cities are bad, I just hate driving in to them
  3. TortugaRolling

TortugaRolling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following daily... VERY impressive!! Sorry you won't be doing Baja in April but really glad you are doing this adventure... be safe..
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Wish I was riding Baja with you and Josh too
    I hope you get Pepe
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So far I am really liking Ecuador. It rains a lot here up in mountains though. I am here in the rainy season. But it had to be this way. I traveled thru Mexico and Central America in the dry season. And once I get to Peru, it should be mostly dry as well.

Near Otalavo, I did this cool 5 hour hike around a volcanic crater with a lake in the middle of it. It stayed dry the whole time I hiked, but it started to rain on the way back to town

[​IMG]
    jorrie likes this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The trail sometimes went thru the forest so thick it formed a tunnel

[​IMG]
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The views from the rim of the crater were spectacular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Out of sight
    Out of mind
    I am always a bit concerned about leaving The Flying Dutchman while I go for a hike. But I have everything locked up and cover the bike. Also, there was a guard at the entrance that watched for me.
    And the best part about this park was it was FREE. Take that - Costa Rica and your $10 for each park!

[​IMG]
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok, one more picture.
    There was a neat little pair of islands in the middle of the lake

[​IMG]
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After the hike, I went to a nice little waterfall near Otavalo. It rained on me the whole way. But I had my Gore-tex liners zipped in so I stayed dry

[​IMG]
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I met these Colombian gals at the waterfall............or should I say, they met me. They were propositioning me and being all flirty. I took a picture with them to make them smile. I was thinking why it couldn't have been the two German hotties that I met at the Lake earlier in the day. Not all girls are crated equal and not all Colombians are good looking either
    And no, I didn't get a picture with the Germans, they weren't interested in a guy traveling around the world on a motorcycle

[​IMG]
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This was actually tough to do. Here I am stopped exactly on the equator on the side of the road. To stop my bike at exactly zero degrees, I was within a foot or two of the equator. Plus I had big trucks wizzing past me as I stopped on the shoulder. This picture was taken just north of Quito.
    I was planning to stay in this hostal just north of town but I couldn't find it. I asked for diirections and 2 people pointed me in the direction of Quito. So before I knew it, I was deep with in the city in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. So change in plans........looks like I am staying in Quito instead

[​IMG]
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I had no idea where I was going. I had no maps downloaded on my GPS of Quito. I knew I wanted to go to the Old Town. I ended finded it but I had know idea where I was going to stay the night. I saw this huge church and headed for that. I needed to take a break, get off my bike and regroup. It was dark and I was tired after a long day on the bike and the trails

[​IMG]
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Finding a place to stay is difficult at times beacuse:
    I need a safe place to keep my bike and a lot of the downtown hotels don't have parking.
    Riding around town, there is a lot of traffic and you don't move very fast. My bike is air cooled and it doesn't like sitting in traffic.
    There are no places to pull over and park.
    My bike is top heavy so riding slow and trying work my way thru traffic is exhausting.
    But I found this place right in the heart of the city. It was really nice and only $25 a night. I negotiated them down from $30. The guy that worked their loved my motorcycle so he let me park it in the entrance to the lobby. It nearly blocked the whole entrance
    But it was safely off the street at night

[​IMG]
    jorrie likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Here is the kind of traffic that I had to deal with. But at least on this street there was room to split lanes

[​IMG]
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The next day, I went back to that big church. I wanted to see it during the day. It was by far the most incredible church I have ever seen in the Americas. It was built about 150 years ago. I wonder if it is going to survive the next big earthquake. And I hear Quito is long overdue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    No matter where I stood, I could not get the whole church in the picture

[​IMG]
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The detailing was amazing

[​IMG]