KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Or rarely use the kill switch, then forget it's "off" and spend 15 minutes trying to figure out why the bike won't start, including push-start attempts. :lol3
    Guilty!
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    is that kind of like forgetting to turn on the petcock? Guilty:lol3
  3. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    +1.
  4. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Also guilty! Especially since I usually kick start my bike first start of the day. . . that was a good kick, why isn't this thing catching? Wait, which way is off again on the kill switch?
  5. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    + 1. I use the touratech alu tail rack with a large wolfman rollie bag and it has been perfect for tools, pump and room for a warm layer/gloves. the TT rack is also perfect for mounting a bigger roll top duffel for longer trips.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Lortdadu

Lortdadu Joe Cool

Oddometer:
    I have just located a Keihin FCR 40 near my place for sale. It is up for 390$, used seen about 10k km, not on a LC4. I could also get a Mikuni TM 40 for 280$, brand new, shipped to my door. I would have to adjust both carbs to my bike probably from scratch.

Which one would be a better deal in your opinion? Btw, my bike's a 400cc LC4, 2002, which I am planning on modding the engine to 512cc or 658cc during the next piston exchange/check, which is in 10000km (a year).
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There is a thread on horns for the LC4 in the index.
  9. Alik

Alik viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer:

I would go for a Keihin.
  10. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked there first and again now, even searched this thread, I missed any LC4 horn thread.

I searched the whole internet and found your thread from 2004.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60958

Nice thread and some good alternatives but it doesn't have any discussion on mounting the Stebel Compact Nautilus

Still looking.
  11. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I just did the same thing on mine, even after reading this and going with gunnerbucks revised specs, one (12.9) didn't even go the the 6ft/lbs before it sheared! I guess too many times following the FSM, over stressed it! Now I'm thinking I should replace all the rocker bolts, great just what I need more holdups and parts to order! I'm already going buggy having my bike down!
  12. Lortdadu

Lortdadu Joe Cool

Oddometer:
    I think the Keihin's off from a Honda CRF 450. It's not listed on Keihin's website, so unless the jets and all of those are the same, finding parts and stuff could be difficult. I don't know about the FCR 40. I found a few FCR 39's and 41's on ebay as well so I guess I'll have to think which to choose...
  13. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly the Honda FCR's are different on the intake side than the KTM's. Look for one off of a 450, 520, or 530.
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Page one of this thread, Part Deux, section 3 is a link to that thread. You can find such things by using your browser's page search function (usually Ctrl-F).

But I think you're right and nobody has posted specifically about this horn on this bike - you'll be the first!
  15. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I missed it several times.

I looked for space for the stebel horn under the fairing and to either side and there isn't enough room to mount the compressor cylinder vertically as an assembled unit (as supplied). The horn does come off the compressor giving me more options and problems to solve.
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The Hella Supertones are mighty loud, and mount easily with the included bracket, although my brackets began failing after few years so you need to check them occasionally.

There are two versions of the Hellas - one made in the EU and another made in India. Not sure if you can still get the EU version (check with Susquehanna Motorsports) but folks said they had better sound.

As with the headlights you should consider a wiring kit to improve the voltage fed to them. Eastern Beaver in Japan makes great kits. I did and while I can't comment on the change in output I can say the kits have been tough enough to save a horn from being lost when the bracket broke just by the tightness of the terminal connectors and the stoutness of the wiring.
  17. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Skibum, you are just right! I remember KTM's Users Manual specifies it must be used only for an emergency. Sounds like it's not as innocuous as the standard key method.
  18. DirtShort

DirtShort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm modifying my '01 ADV cockpit and controls to a more "rallye" style version, and have a problem that I need advice:
    I want to replace the stock Start/Stop switch that is integrated in the throttle can, by my '03 EXC 400 witch I managed.But I now want to replace the stock throttle grip for a smaller one! Does anybody knows if the EXC throtle cables+throttle grip will fit the ADV (lenght wise)?
    Any suggestion?

Also in the other side, I've replaced the stock switch assy by the EXC smaller one, but I have the problem of the choke lever that is originally part of the stock switch. Any suggestion on how to make/adapt an alternate lever? I have some ideas, but I was looking for some more!

Looking frward for some tips!:ear
  19. Lortdadu

Lortdadu Joe Cool

Oddometer:
    I plan on increasing the diameter of the cylinder from 95mm to 101mm. I'll also replate the cylinder. The cylinder head will also be machined. I haven't made up my mind whether or not I'll increase the valve diameter size or not. I'll decide on that later.

Machining the cylinder and replating it will cost around 280€, machining the cylinder head I would estimate at around 200€. Then I'd buy a Wössner 100.94mm forged piston for 215€ from ktmax.de. I haven't decided what to do with gaskets yet, I'd probably have to order some specially manufactured or then modify from the originals... Don't know yet, still planning. I'm thinking that I would want to max the price of the rebuild at 800€.

With these mods the stroke will remain the same and there would be no need to change the crank and rod. Also, these machines use the same bearings at the bottom end, so I'm more than sure that they would last. I guess I would change the bearings for the bottom end while I'm at it if they look like they'd have to be changed. It doesn't seem very expensive, but then I would have to adjust the valves and the jetting probably in a dyno or then install a lambda sensor on the exhaust to get the jetting spot on.

My biggest worry is though that the yearly vehicle inspection will get transferred to motorbikes from cars as well, so I can't keep it in plates since the emissions would increase. It's a little law thing they're talking about here in Finland...
  20. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    One method works for sure. The DR650 came with the BST carb as well but only uses a short knob, you can buy them off fleabay. The problem with this is the choke is now hidden under the tank.
    The second method I hope to be prving soon as my new rocker bolts come in! I found that the choke cable, about 6-8" long from my Keihin CV (off a HD 1988 and newer) has the same theads! The cable end that hooks to the enrichner/choke needle measures the same, but the spring and enrichner needles are different. So I just swapped the BST stuff to the CV cable. But again, my bike isn't running, so I haven't proved it works. Once I do and my internet access improves I will post a little write up with the details!

I would love to see some pics of how its coming along and more details of what you did! I've always felt the stock controls were too bulky!