Yet another XL600 project...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JimRidesThis, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I just looked at Cheapcycleparts and they show the counter balancer bearings. I suppose some one (me) on this side of the pond could buy them and send them to you. Interested?

Looking at the parts site the original part # has been superseded by:
    <table id="parts_table" class="table table-striped"><tbody><tr id="p_289053" class="superseder_row"><td class="nam_cel">Bearing, Radial Ball (16 X44 X13) (Toyo)</td> <td class="num_cel">91005-MK4-701</td> <td class="pri_cel">$19.32 </td><td class="req_cel">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    I'm on hold waiting for parts to answer the call to see if the bearings are available.

No dice. Parts counter is busy and they will supposedly call me back. I left them the part # to check on.
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was fast. They just called back and the bearing is available. Local dealer wants about $27.00 each.
  3. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

That's very kind of you. I guess it's probably best to leave it 'til after Christmas/New Year if that's OK with you - everything seems to go crazy over here for a couple of weeks. I'll PM you so we can figure out the money side of things, in the meantime the bearings I need are these ones...

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/227679-honda-91005-mg3-003-hard-parts-bearing-17x42x12

I've emailed them to see if they have the bearings and if they'll ship direct. I might have a better chance of bypassing HM Customs if it looks like it's coming from a private individual though :evil

I also need one of these...

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/265392-honda-28274-kf0-000-hard-parts-spring-follower

I think they're the only discontinued parts I need, but I'll make an inventory over the next week or so.

Thanks again :clap
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I hope mine sounds that nice Pete, you've done a good job there :thumb
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Let me know what you need and I'll get them together for you. I have been sending stuff to Christian in El Salvador for his XR600 over the last couple of years. Simply drop it off at the post office. Although the last parts I sent Christian I sent Express only to fine the postal system in El Salvador went on strike and he didn't get the parts for weeks. That was an expensive error.
  6. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    Bump! :d
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    There's a that saying goes "you don't get the ups without the downs". Well, all things being equal, so far it's mainly been ups with the XL, but now I've hit a down.

I eventually tracked down a pair of balancer shaft bearings and found an alternative supply (from Massey Ferguson :evil) for a couple of missing shims for the gearbox layshaft. Here are the cases with new bearings ready to build! So far so good...

[​IMG]

Yesterday I got to work.

Transmission in...
    [​IMG]
    ...check

Selector forks in...
    [​IMG]
    ...check

Shift drum in...
    [​IMG]

Crank and balancer shaft in...
    [​IMG]
    ...check

This evening I put the cases together to check I had gears and they all selected OK :clap, split the cases again, popped in the gasket and a thin spread of Hylomar and everything went back together, bottom end built. Only when I spun the crank I heard a regular 'clunk' with each rotation. Despite inspecting for wear when I stripped it out, about the only thing I didn't inspect closely was the drive gear for the balance shaft and, you've guessed it, there's a significant chunk out of one of the teeth - I can't believe I missed it. Looks like I need a replacement crank.:cry

I'll post a pic of the offending toothy gap when I've got some motivation to pull the cases apart again.
  8. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:
    When one door closes another door opens

Hang in there!

:freaky
  9. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Hold on!
    Whatever you do, you do for the best!!!

Excuse me, I want to seize the moment.:wink:
    You can do two measurements for me?

I'm trying to install the crankshaft XL/XR600 in the XR500R and I need a little help with the measurements.:d
    I have a few questions for the continuation of the movement further.
    1. Which thickness (size) of the left crankcase a XL600? (from the main connectors to cover the stator)
    2.What size (depth) in the cover the stator (of connectors up to supports the stator)?
    [​IMG]

Thank you! :clap
  10. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang on a second Jim, I have a feeling the balance shaft drive gear is a press fit onto the crankshaft, and you may be able to get a gear from a buggered crank fitted to your crankshaft. Need to talk to a crankshaft rebuilder to be sure.
    Or it may be cheaper to fit a used crank if you can find one. Lots on ebay.com
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I though it was 'when one door close another slams in your face'?

I'll get back to you with some measurements Ivan.

Yep, there's a crank on ebay(UK) at the moment for a not unreasonable 50 UKP. I'll have to check it out first, but that's probably the way to go I suspect. I'm sulking with the XL at the moment though :cry and I have a bathroom to install at home so it'll have to wait.
  12. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    thanks!
    Look crankshaft here -http://www.hondaxl.de/shop/XL-600-R/XL-600-R-Motor/Kurbelwelle.html
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Here you go Ivan,

Let me know if there are any other measurements you need (or photo's of XL6 components).

Jim

14. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Jim! :clap
    These two measurements are the principal for me today.
    I'm looking for a place for an additional 6 mm. at the tail end of the crankshaft (the stator). I think 600 stator cover more than 500 cover by 6 mm. Thanks for the offer, I would think.
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    You're welcome Ivan.

I've just been reading your XL500 revival thread - I have an easy time with my bike in comparison. St Petersburg looks amazing; when my XL is finished I will ride out to visit :D
  16. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Welcome Jim, I will be glad to meet you.
    Many thanks for your measurements, I went to see it cover starter yesterday, 500 cover less than 600 cover by 6 mm.
    &#1057;rafty Japanese engineers - Hooray!:freaky
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    OK, I've stopped sulking now :rofl and ordered that replacement crank off ebay. Too far away to go and see, but I had a good chat with the seller beforehand and have to trust his promise of my money back if the part's no good. Fingers crossed it's a good un.

When I stripped the engine cases first time round, I think the gearbox was missing some spacers/shims on either end of the output shaft (the one the drive sprocket sits on) - there seemed to be a lot of end float - about 5mm I guessed at the time.
    When I rebuilt the box, I put a 3mm shim on the output side which seemed to centralise the pinions and the gearbox shifted OK when the cases were bolted up. There is still just over 1.2 mm of end float. Is that normal or do I need to shim the 'other' end too?
    I'll have the cases split again when the replacement crank arrives, so I'll do some photo's of what I've got so far.

Jim
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Spot the difference...

[​IMG]

...here you go
    [​IMG]

The offending chip out of the balancer shaft drive gear. I can't believe I missed it! :rofl
  19. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    With the new crank inspected thoroughly :evil I set about rebuilding the bottom end. Again.

[​IMG]

It's too cold outside in the garage so I'm working on the kitchen table. Luckily I have an understanding wife :D. Either that or she's just used to it after 28 years!

[​IMG]
    Transmission in with the layshaft (output shaft) shimmed to take out most of the end float I mentioned in a previous post. It's now down to slightly less than 0.10 thou, hopefully that'll do.

[​IMG]
    'New' crankshaft installed along with the balancer shaft. Looking good :D

[​IMG]
    et voila! Back to the same point I was at 6 weeks ago, except this time the crank turns nice a smoothly with no 'rough spot'.

Now it's on to the top-end. The piston is fine but I've got new rings, cam chain and guides to go into a freshly honed barrel. I've also built the head and cam cover back up so we should (hopefully) be good to go on the next stage.
  20. Moparmanpete

Oddometer: