KTM Freeride (new bike)

Discussion in 'Trials' started by mud, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Glad to see KTM has the balls to take a chance on a new market. Japs bikes are heaps behind in Dual sport / Off road bikes as far as I am concerned.
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Putting some more thought into it, that may not be the case. KTM does not make lots of any model bike (compared to the Asian brands). Around here, the only KTMs that are steeply discounted are the 4t MX models. I don't know that I have ever seen a 300exc/xcw on the showroom floor, they fly out the door.

My point is that KTM seems to be doing a very good job of generating very high demand for their fairly limited number of motorcycles. The more models they are able to put an engine into, the better and this will make 3 models for the 350.

KTM already has a loyal fan base that will snap this model up and feel that it is a great value.

Will it convert other riders to drink the kool aid???? Hard to say. The 950/990 are ridden and enjoyed by people that had not sipped the kool aid before and KTM is a much, much bigger brand than it was 10 years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I think KTM may do fairly well with this new machine.

Not that my opinion matters. :lol3
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    My opinion of this bike can best be summed up in one word.

5MOH! :deal
  4. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree 110%.
  5. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :lol3

My exact thought while reading this thread!!

I'd love to try this bike out as a technical single track bike. Could be my cheater bike! :deal
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    If you get one, I will have too!! :rofl
  7. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got one?
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Sort of. I bought a new 2013 KTM 350 XCFW and it is one sweet ride. I love the motor. A lighter, lower, slightly detuned version of my bike will turn a lot of people on. I'm just afraid the $9-10K price tag, may turn a lot of people off.
  9. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one issue, or compromise, with the Sherco and Ossa I read about other than its 2T non street legal creds, is that its the same gearbox, or very close to the trials bike, which means basically it a trials bike with a high seat and longer suspension. The shifter is a mile away with tiny gaps between 1st - 4th and huge gap to 5th-6th.
    I haven't ridden either, but as a trials bike owner, it looks like theres 2 niche markets here. The Sherco / Ossa as a long range trials bike (for the guys who want to strap a seat and more fuel on a trials bike, or in this case I think the seat comes off to make it more trials worthy) and the KTM for its easy trail/dual sporting usefulness.
    Haven't read anything about what KTM did with their tranny but the shifter is in the 'normal' location.
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    From the specs I've been able to some up with, it looks like nothing has been changed with the transmission from the standard 350 XCFW. Both bikes have a 24:73 primary ratio listed. The Freeride does have a smaller final drive at 11:48. My bike came with a 13:52.

My bike has a reasonably low 1st gear. I would say comparable to 4th on my GG. So I think what you're going to get with the Freeride is a 1st gear that is going to give you some trials capability, (not as low as a real trials bike) and semi close spacing between the remaining gears. I would also venture a guess that top speed is only going to be slightly over 50 mph, giving you a comfortable cruising speed of around 40mph. My will cruise at 50mph and tops out at about 60-65mph.
  11. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    The Freeride will not be coming to the US.... Checked with a few different KTM dealers all say not anytime soon. Bummer...
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Darn. I was hearing it was coming in as a 2014 late summer or early fall. Who knows? I would be shocked if they would sell 100 of them in the US.
  13. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: