Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen -

I appreciate the information on the wrenching of the Tiger - was mis-informed by a couple dealers service departments - I now stand corrected.

On the mileage thing - I like to go fast and I like the Arrow exhaust - don't give a rat's A$$ about the gas mileage in comparison to the two previous points but thought is was important to mention given my set up (or any other for that matter) for others considering the bike. Not picking on anybody's rides here - only answering the question posed & providing an opinion based upon my ride and how it has performed given the specs provided. No need to get snarky boys - I'm sure your Moms taught you better than that.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't find their responses "snarky"; just stating the obvious. :hmmmmm
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Those are the last people you should expect an honest answer from. They want your money, so of course they told you it takes specialized equipment/training to work on the bike! Service departments are how dealerships make most of their money.

While it is true that dealer mechanics receive special training for each bike and that they have Triumph-supplied tools and diagnostic software, essentially everything is available in the aftermarket as well. The Tiger 800s are actually quite easy bikes for the private mechanic to maintain.

--mark
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Condescending...yep. And "moms", "gentlemen", and "boys" in one post? Everything you posted sounds like you're trying to prove something. Consider just not posting. Really. Think bout it.

:rolleyes
  5. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    That's not strictly true actually.
    My dealer's chief mechanic let slip that they have to pay Triumph to go on those courses. So, if the bike is pretty much the same as another model, e.g. 675 Vs 800 engines, they don't go and just wing it when they get the new model in.
    I'm OK with that because the basics will be exactly the same and so long as they have the specs (valve clearances for example) for the 800 they should still be able to do the job properly.
  6. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the two main reasons she disliked the Tiger were gas mileage an special service needs? Did I read that right?
    If so, maybe you need help picking a bike next time because you got it entirely wrong on both counts.
  7. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    If they can deal the bikes then they can work on them. They will not deliver new models if they don't have qualified people.
  8. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are these bikes reliable, or am I going to be spending a lot of at the dealership two hours away for repairs? I know the internet has a way of magnifying things, but there seems to be a lot of talk about heat, stalling, fluid leaks etc. When I buy a bike, I'd rather ride than wrench. Especially at the XC's cost.
  9. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    They're super reliable. I've put 31,000 miles on mine with no issues. Hasn't even needed a valve adjustment.

--mark
  10. fbj913

Oddometer:
    all triumphs are known to be reliable. the XC is no exception.

fluid leaks? where did you see this?

Stalling was a software issue and has been fixed.
    not sure about your heat reference. some think the bike does not disperse the heat properly and blows back on the legs. my response is, don't wear shorts... bikes are hot, if you want air conditioning stay in your car. :D
  11. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    26,200 kms, zero issues.

Replaced tyres, oil, put fuel in, ride.

Great bike.

JM.
  12. Jimbones

Jimbones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Halfway to Heaven and Just A Mile Out Of Hell
    Very reliable! I have 20K miles in 14 months with zero problems. I swing into my dealership every couple months just so they don't forget my face. I pick up a t-shirt or a refrigerator magnet to justify my visit, hang out for awhile, and then I'm on my way. If reliability is your deciding factor - buy it!!!
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago when it started to get cold here (upper 30's and below will qualify for cold in tucson) I noticed that for several seconds after starting my tiger in the morning I'd get a little clatter noise coming from the engine. Not to be confused with the standard assortment of noises this engine makes. Sound sort of like a valve "ticking" noise. It does not happen when the temps are a little warmer. Just wondering if anyone else notices this in colder temps. My tiger has 13k miles on it and I am using rotella t6 which is a 5-20W synthetic oil fwiw. New or old oil makes no difference relating to the sound.

And for poster above asking about reliability I wouldn't let it concern you. The only real issue was the stepper stalling issue and that has been addressed. Other than that I can not think of any chronic or widespread issues on this bike.
  14. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe T6 is a 5-40w synthetic. I've noticed a little tick on cold mornings at startup also, but it goes away within 30-40 seconds. Just leave the throttle alone when starting to keep from wacking a dry motor.

No fluid leaks....Stepper motor replaced under warranty (replaced because Triumph wouldn't just pay to lubricate it properly.) Arrow map loaded for the LV pipe, mileage went from 50 to 38 mpg. I'll be loading the standard map before the weather warms up.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    sorry, yes, 5-40.
  16. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to making a video of our long ride this last summer. I'm no good at making videos and even worse at remembering to film. But, this is the best I've got. Enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3lA-LVxYn8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d3lA-LVxYn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great vid!
  18. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your best is very good! CDR is on my bucket list.:clap
  19. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
  20. fbj913