Terrible Milage 07 990ADV

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tilting40s, Mar 11, 2013.

1. tilting40s

tilting40s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guy's I have a 07 990 Adv and I'm gettin about 90-95 mile before the gas light comes on. I think this is pretty terrible. The bike smells like gas when it runs so I have a feeling its running rich -but it still hauls ass so it runs well. I would love to re map it but don't have a PC nor do I want to go through the hassle of installing windows on a mac/I'm super noob so i don't want to f-up the bike either. I live close to the guy who does Tune ECU in San Rafael CA but I'm concerned he will charge an arm and leg for just leaning it out at critical points/don't really wan the wear and tear of dyno testing on the bike. Any suggestions/ people who have used Tune ECU privately in the bay area? I guess I'm really looking for guidance. Thanks!

-Nick
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Are you the original owner? Unless someone previously has messed with the map I cannot see how Tune ECU will help resolve a chronic fuel consumption issue such as this.

If someone has screwed up the map, getting it back to stock shouldn't require a dyno. Figuring this out and it's been messed with, returning it to stock, would be my first step.
  3. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Do you have the petcock on one tank turned off? Becuase this is TERRIBLE mileage!
  4. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    This thought crossed my mind also but if he's only draining the left tank I'd expect he'd be hitting reserve before 95 miles (isn't the left tank smaller to accommodate the fuel pump -- so with both tanks on he'd be getting well over 200 before reserve which seems too high) ..... also he said the bike smelled of gas when running ... but yeah it's worth checking.
  5. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Running the Akra map? The smell very rich with a gas odor and give very poor mileage.
    Clogged or partially clogged MAP sensors will cause poor mileage issues.
  6. speedy 1

speedy 1 Wizard

Oddometer:
    43.5 mpg is the average mine is posting
    this is commuting 120 miles round trip
    fuel light comes on at 175 ~ 180 miles
    brents347 has a good suggestion ... both fuel tanks on ?
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Would a faulty Lambda make it swallow gas?
  8. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    It's normal for limp mode if it runs super rich. I would look at it but I am to far. Mine gets usually 42-44 highway maybe 40 with 16-45 worse.

Offroad anywhere from 35 - 40 usually.

It hasn't been that hard of a bike to troubleshoot so far. Maybe that is why mine has stuck around through 10 other vehicles LOL!
  9. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    My bike had this problem. Look down the throttle bodies and post a pic.
  10. tilting40s

tilting40s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to give it a look tomorrow, and both tanks are drained after a ride that was my first thought. The bike was originally tuned at

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodKTM99,990Adventurer.html

It's the bike that he show's the dyno run of so it's a one off map for the leo vince exhaust. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. Thanks guys.
  11. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure but maybe the low octane connector was disconnected somehow?

BG
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I cannot remember how but he found a solution. I think more recently VioLator had similar issues. I cannot remember if he solved it though.
    Cheers.
  13. Irideeverything

Irideeverything Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up an 08 990 ADV in January and did some decent road riding over the weekend. Gas light came on around 130 miles I think. It took about 2.2 gallons per side. Sounds like $hitty mileage to me, or another problem. Thoughts??
  14. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 07 gets me to 150 before the lite comes on.
  15. tilting40s

tilting40s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93984346@N05/

[​IMG]So here are some pictures, I don't have time today to really pull everything off nor do i have the knowledge still so unaware of the mechanics of this bike. I'm not intimidated just need guidance. Anyway looks ok (i think), but still not great considering the bike has only 11,500 on the OD. I'm assuming the map sensors are located on the inside of each tube O--O (as if the strait lines are the sensors) which means the tanks have got to come off to get in there and clean them? Also i noticed there looked to be a lot of moister and even some assuming gas hanging out on top of the second lower butterfly valve on both the throttle bodies.

*let me know if the link doesn't work. Oh and if anyone has or knows of a visual of how to remove and clean map sensors plz post link. Thanks!
  16. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out a parts fiche on one of the online parts sites to see where they are.
    munnracing.com
  17. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    http://65.57.254.60/shoponline/catalog/2007%2F076014100%2Egif

# 60 IIRC

Follow the vacuum line from the underside of the throttle bodies to where it plugs into the sensors. I don't know what side of the throttle bodies they are on.

Here is a pic of one from my bike. See the line coming out of the intake tube going to the sensor on the frame rail.

[​IMG]

Other side of bike

[​IMG]

One more

[​IMG]
  18. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brass fitting being pointed at has a 1mm hole that gets clogged. Use some thing just a bit smaller than 1mm and clean the hole. One side is easy to get at the other not so much.
  19. tilting40s

tilting40s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update: so just calculated for last ride 20.16... mpg :( It sucks because I'm happy w/ how smooth and powerful it is. I've been reading that a lot of people who got good mpg's with stock map put slip on pipes had the bike prof. remapped and experienced mid 20's mileage. I guess re-setting to stock map would be the first step. If that doesn't help then it's on to more investigation. Anyone exp. remapping really screwing with economy??? What have people paid for professional remapping?
  20. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Ace Motorsports in Concord Ca, flashed mine with the Akra map before I bought a cable. It was $25 or $30 if my memory is correct. But they will only do a stock or Akra. And the custom map you have will be lost. If your in no hurry, when I get back next month. Ride on out to Antioch and I'll save your map and flash it with which ever you like.