Suzuki S40 / Savage - Ryca Scrambler Conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Krasniewski, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks. Time for another project...

Ryca announced a scrambler kit some time back and I put a deposit down a few months back. The kit's not ready yet, :ddog (due late summer or fall '12) so I wouldn't hope for quick progress with this thread, but I'm gonna try to do what I can early. :deal

Here's the donor that I picked up today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

$1,500 got me an '05 with 5k on the clock. Some minor road rash, couple of missing pieces, but started, accelerated, rode straight, handled ok, stopped well, and was advertised for a nice price, so how could I say no? :evil The motor is pretty cool and lots of fun - big, wide gears, and lots of torque. :ricky I didn't want the kit to come out then go looking desperately for a donor and end up overpaying. :shog

Anyway - here's the goal.

[​IMG]

More info HERE.

Once I get into it, and the before the kit is available, I'll probably wonder if I even need the kit. :rofl

Well, between some upcoming vacation time, the kit no being out, and my KLRE project (see sig), this may be slow going, but these threads keep me going, so thanks for stopping by. :norton

Comments, questions, encouragement, or ridicule are always welcome. :thumb
  2. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    OK -

A little left to do, but most of what can be is removed:
    [​IMG]

Box 'o parts - some to be sold, others to be modified, some to be used as is. Glad that tail section is off - man is it heavy! :eek1
    [​IMG]

I can also cut the hub free to send in for relacing to a new rim, take a few more pieces off, and now would probably be a good time to check up on some maintenance on the motor.

That's all for now.
  3. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    Wasn't the old late 60's two stroke Suzuki scrambler called a "Savage"?
  4. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
  5. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tracker & scrambler kits look pretty good. The brake looks a bit small, but the bike is light.

Have fun, and post lots of pictures.
  6. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Had to liberate the hub from the oppression of a 15" rim...

[​IMG]

A pair of bolt cutters made quick work. I found these in the bushes about 5 years ago after my neighbors had their bikes stolen after looking around. I guess the thieves were too stupid or in too much of a hurry to remember their tool. We should have had it dusted for prints... but I digress.

Actually, that is all. More later!
  7. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Concur - the Scramler's supposed to be $500 more, but has more seat, a small rack, and better looks, IMO. I like them both, but want the scrambler more... much more. :raabia

Yeah - I was thinking the same. When I rode the Savage as she was, it was adequate (comparable to my '08 KLR650). With a better brake line and the weight loss, I think it'll be fine. I think they're calling the Ryca Cafe Racer 320 lbs, so maybe just a bit more for the Scrambler.

You got it. :thumb
  8. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    subscribed :freaky
  9. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Gotta love the Savage!! Great little cheap bikes to play with and customize. Back before my ADV-Rider days I built a hard tail chopper out of one. Fun little thing for what it was, and I think I had about $250 in the whole project including the bike. :freaky tough to beat that.

[​IMG]
  10. Krasniewski

Oddometer:

:eek1 Very impressive price point there! I love cheap bikes...

Don't know if you noticed, but they're making a bolt-on hard tail chopper kit for the Savage as well. Something tells me it's more than $250 (plus bike). :rofl
  11. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    What seat is that?
  12. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Out of town for a bit and no news from Ryca, so no progress really, but I was thinking about something. The Ryca site says somewhere that the handlebar risers are reused - which made me look at mine, as they look too big. It looks like they're aftermarket - so will need to be replaced or modified.

Just a thought...
  13. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!!

This should be good.
  14. Bluebone

Bluebone half band

Oddometer:
    count me in to since i have an intruder which is only slightly bigger than that bike.
  15. garrett the nerd

garrett the nerd Sprocket Protector

Oddometer:
    Count me in as well. I've been curious to see one of their kits built.
  16. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool
  17. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update - got an e-mail from Ryan at Ryca today regarding the kit. A public thanks to him for always answering my questions so quickly.

All the tooling is done, they're just finishing up the 'how to' videos and starting production, so probably another week or two if all goes well. Timing is good for me - I should be home this weekend!
  18. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are they developing folding pegs for the tracker and the scrambler do you know?
    Are you planning to use their odd foot decompression actuator?
    It looks goofy on the cafe bike and really weird on the tracker/scrambler bikes.
    Just my view perhaps. :huh
  19. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    concerning this 'Are you planning to use their odd foot decompression actuator?': I was a bit surprised as I first saw it on the cafe racer. But it should be easy to replace it by a handle-bar-lever and a bowden-cable, isn't it?
    Btw, the bike looks really nice compared to all those modern plastic covered stream-liners ... have fun with your build and keep us informed!
    Kind regards, Bambi ... one from the past ...
  20. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Hey all...

I don't remember the details, but I do know that the foot decomp was one of the biggest complaints on the kit, and they were working on a handlebar-mounted fix. I haven't looked into the status of the option yet - but good call - I'll have to figure out all the cost/options when the kits are ready to ship. I haven't even thought about folding pegs...