GS-LC - problems

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by atg, May 5, 2013.

1. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    Stainless not chrome. Its normal on the single wall pipes. Most guys let it go. Some keep at it with polish and elbow grease.
  2. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at Jet Hot coatings. The have different colors plus a chrome look, and have a lifetime warranty against discoloration.
  3. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is typical of all BMW exhaust pipes/boxer engines. This is due to the reaction of oxygen and high heat.

If you compare to earlier GSs you will notice that the pipes of the new water cooled GS don't get as dark and also the color change affects a considerably smaller area, just a few inches from the cylinder heads,

This is due to a lower engine temperature if compared to earlier air/oil cooled engines.

This effect could be hidden if double walled pipes were used, however these would be not only quite more expensive but also heavier.

In spite of its unesthetic appearance it become a GS characteristic.

It is possible to remove the brownish coloror or at least discolour it somewhat, either using acids or a through polishing it, however consider it is a lot of work and sooon, very soon, it will all come back negating all the work put in.

In short: Just get used to it...

Andre
  4. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    The exhaust pipes are made of stainless steel which is then copper plated and finally chrome plated. First, you'll see a nice amber yellow then the blue as more heat is applied. At night in your garage, you'll see the pipes glow a dark cherry red with the bike warmed up and idling. Hint, don't allow your boxer engine to idle hot for long periods.

As mentioned, having the pipes ceramic coated will eliminate discoloration but the plating must first be stripped.

Early on, I polished my pipes to like new but, they soon got ahead of my maintenance and now they are not very pretty.
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I would not recommend acids to clean BMW exhaust pipes. The bright chromium plating on the pipes is porous and acid will ruin the copper plating under the chrome ending in a mess.
  6. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know that the pipes are chromed stainless steel. Are you positive on this ?

If so, what is the reasoning in apllying a chrome finish to stainless steel ?

Andre
  7. Aggroman

Aggroman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks allz... I guess I will just live with it.. :( but will it cause any problems in future like replacing the entire piping because it rust n all???

Live to ride
  8. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    Based on the posters description they don't sound like the Chrome upgrade.
  9. monoi

monoi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if its normal, but above 50ish mph, when decelarating, there is quite a lot of vibration coming through the running gear. It feels like a bearing not as tight as it should be. I AM NOT saying that it is the case, just that's how I would describe it.

Is that a common thing?

I also find that the front wheel makes quite a lot of running gear noise.

That said, I love it.
  10. fennel

fennel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Especially decelarating at the 2nd gear.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  11. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also notice the gear noise but think that it may be normal for this bike. Having the big hole around the steering head lets a lot of noise come up to your ears. This is the first boxer that I have owned but if it is like my other BMWs it will smooth out around 18000 miles.
    The GS is the most fun bike that I have owned.
  12. monoi

monoi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I meant front wheel bearing noise, because when freewheeling the noise is still there so it is not the engine.

It is very noticeable, and I shall mention it at the 1st service.
  13. Chirozilla

Chirozilla n00b

Oddometer:
    Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles. Worked this morning on way to work but not o way home. Got wet Saturday night before this started and temps now in the 90's. replacement won't be in Germany till 6-19 and I leave for a ten day ride in the Smokey Mts the 28. I'm screwed!! Anyone know of a temporary fix for this problem ?
  14. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please see post #26 on page 2 of this topic.

I implemented the solution I report there and its working fine eversince.

Best of luck,

Andre
  15. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    Based on reports it doesn't seem water or temperature related. When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave, whether by coincidence or not.

I'm not sure if you'd see success opening the switch and spraying it up, but if its a total fail right now it might be worth a shot.
  16. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you not sure because you have tried it or you are just stating an unexperienced opinion ?

From your message It seems that you have not tried it as, and I quote you:

"When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave"

From your message I understand that your problem ( the bike's) is a recurring one and, apparently, it seems that your solution has, in fact, not solved anything.

Perhaps you should try the proposed solution.

Andre
  17. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    What??? I'll assume the attitude I infer is simply translation issues.

I haven't torn my switch apart because I don't have a total failure. I have intermittent cruise issues and my cruise turns off if the signal is used. I can live with that until the replacement comes in.

Another inmate reported taking the switch apart and liberally spraying WD40 on the parts, with a seeming fix.

I'm not tearing my switch apart unless things go really south. Otherwise I'll wait until they come in.
  18. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems a lot of switch problems on the new GSW. And everyone is reporting that BMW is replacing the switches. But are they changing them to fix the problem, or are they just sending the same switches so they can have the same problems? They need to be making changes to fix the problem.
  19. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no attitude and and certainly no translation issues, at least on my part.

The other inmate you mention is me and spraying WD 40 was not done liberally, quite the opposite.

I can understand and certainly respect your wish to do not take your switch apart, afterall, its your bike, your time, your risk. However, I don't understand why if you haven't tried nor have experience doing it, why you state, as in doubting, if one who tries it will succeed ? Thats just discouraging one to try what someone else did ( and succeeded) and proposes as a solution.

If you don't want to do it, fine. Just don't criticize between the lines, one's constructive suggestions and will to help others.

Best of luck to you,

Andre
  20. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WD40 is a cleaner that also works as a light lubricant, it may also act as a drying agent. As a technician I can see no problems with a light coat of WD40.