Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took a ferry from the mainland town of Bodo to the island archipelago of Lofoten. It was a new ship and very nice. It only cost $50 for the 3 hour ride for me and my moto. I say only because it seemed like a fair price considering everything here is triple what it should be.

[​IMG]
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I had to Strap my bike down for this ferry ride

[​IMG]
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I dropped a bottle of Westvleteren 10 beer and it smashed open and broke in to a million pieces. These beers are $4 a bottle at the brewery. $15 a bottle in a store in Belguim. Here is Norway, if you could ever find one, it would be $30 or more. It was a sad day.
    But the good news was that I found a $200 Kroner bill (about $40) along side the road earlier that day, so I was still ahead

[​IMG]
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Me and the guy working on the ship just stood over this sad site. We both just enjoyed inhaling the sweet smell of this nectar spread out all over the deck of the ship. And then I thought, why should it go to waste and do I really need a glass?

[​IMG]
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I hope this gives you and idea of where I am right now in the town of A in Lofoten. It looks to be way above Iceland and about half way up Greenland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ferry ride but the clouds were an ominous sign of things to come

[​IMG]
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Getting off the ferry at midnight. Now to find a place to camp.

[​IMG]
  8. mikecbrxx

mikecbrxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asked and answered :deal:freaky
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I didn't take any pictures of my camping spot in the storm. I was too busy trying to pack things away and keep my things dry. I was mostly unsuccessful. I heading in to this nearby tunnel to dry out a bit. It was 50 degrees and the wind was blowing thru the tunnel like a freight train.
    I sat there trying to decide what to do next

[​IMG]
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Riding out in to the storm trying to find somewhere warm and dry.
    With the rain, it brought out all the waterfalls everywhere

[​IMG]
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So now I am caught up once again.
    Right now, I am sitting in my little dorm room in A Norway right now watching the rain come down sideways outside my double-pained window.
    Two of the backpackers I was sharing the room with took off and went for a hike. Now that is hardcore. When it comes to rain and bad weather, I am kind of soft. I like it here. It is warm and dry. But I too will venture out in to this weather soon. I need to put in some miles today
  12. rahza

rahza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well ed,
    sometime we want to do it, some we don't. IMHO you are a tough guy. a true adventurer. sometime it is good without having heavy "commitment":D. you can do anything that you like.... accessing your damage later. enjoy while you can, it is a life time trip. at the end of the day Nobody is PERFECT especially in our Life. we cannot WIN all the TIME. well hang in there.
    Hope fully i can give you an answer if you have any. Riding Enfield from India to MAlaysia will be good. surely you will have a good coverup. the bike groups will surely like you. If you ride your GS they will like you better.:1drink
    i have a question..... what is the best thing about ALASKA? With this 400 days riding what actually you are looking for in LIFE. :lol3just like your response. he he
    well keep all the good photos coming.
    cheers
    I just ride a Honda c70. :evil
    azhar
  13. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    It continues to be a great read. Northern europe (hemisphere for that matter) really starts to change in the end of August, so you just made it in time. A few years back i went to Finland for a few weeks in August and the change is quite faster than down here in the south :).
    I think you should visit Africa as others have said, i have never been but it's on my list as well. My brother has worked all last year in Angola, and my advice there (from his info) would be to be careful on the northern regions, and if possible avoid Luanda, it's a big chaotic and very very expensive city. Down south the people are friendly and thins get cheaper, i would risk saying that this is the same in most african countries, but there are a few that i would skip if possible, and in this subject there are much better informed people in this Forum. I would advise you to read this RR and maybe contact the guy if you didn't already ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819155 ) :D

I will keep following your trip, and if you end up going to Asia and do the trip you're planing , i'll be in Malaysia from the 24th to the 28th, then in Cambodia for a few days, and spending new year's eve in Siam Reap...if you happen to be around, let me know and save a bottle of champagne heheh :1drink

And drink more water dude....heheh
  14. qman67

qman67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you wonder why you are pissing blood!
  15. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    all that broken glass has to come out somewhere! :rofl
  16. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am more worried about him being away from Kathe this long and taking pics of sheep right outside of his tent........ :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. Desert/Mtn/Sea

Desert/Mtn/Sea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you took a ferry ride? This looks more like an alien space ship. Ride on my friend and stay safe. BBTGLG
  18. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i dunno, she gots some purdy eyes... :D
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Crossed the border in to Finland.
    Everyone thinks they are a WRC rally car driver hete.
    And the econo boxes they drive with those big driving lights mounted to the grill make the cars look pretty cool.
    but the speed cameras ever other mile ruin the fun for all.

I stopped to see Santa
    I am talking the REAL Santa.
    Mote on that later.

I have about 400 miles to go before I reach Helsinki.
    I sure hope this front tire holds out until thrn.
  20. Wimke1971

Wimke1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lalo, spilling beer! In Belgium you would get shot for that!

Enjoy the Ride!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.