KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ironbutter

ironbutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, this thing is a tractor, no matter what situation I find myself in I always have a little more to pull me through it, great in technical stuff in low gears and smooth power delivery. I also switched out my carb for a 41mm FCR from an 06 SX...:evil the combination of the two really woke this bike up. Great bike, more than Ill ever need. With my MXC tank and my Acerbis 25L I will be able to dial in for local day trips and longer hauls as well.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I had the Renazco with the MECA kit on the suede breathed a lot more than the vinyl on my 640 does, really looking forward to finally getting the damned bike back on the road after waiting waaaaay too long for electrics etc and planting my ass on the suede Renazco that's been patiently waiting.:lol3
  3. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    As Skibum says, and while I appreciated that feature on my Renazco on the old 640, it does breathe better, but that isn't why I went with the option. I went with suede for winter ice racing. When you whack the throttle on the straights, my ass would slide aft on vinyl, but the suede has extra grip. When it gets wet, it dries remarkable quickly. I'm not worried about mud or dirt discolouring it. I figure if it's good enough for a cow, it's good enough for me.
  4. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    250 miles yesterday
    [​IMG]
  5. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Dynojet kit yesterday, can I just swop the jets out? Or does it need to be dyno tuned?
  6. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    Return it for a JD jetting kit

Lou
  7. ironbutter

ironbutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    more break-in time... 135 miles and counting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. sweetlou

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a 45t sprocket they want to sell?

Lou
  9. purplepeopleeater

purplepeopleeater The Official VW Nut

Oddometer:
    I think i have one, shoot me a pm
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might have one too? Can't check until Tuesday
  11. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lou, we dont get that one here in South Africa, dynojet is the nearest.

Whats wrong with the Dyno jet? I'm at 1650m above and running a Akrapovich with Twin air filter.

What do you suggest?
  12. sweetlou

Oddometer:
    Nothing "wrong" with dyno jet but the JD kit is widely recognized as the best carb jet kit for the ktm's. JD kit will eliminate overheats and off idle bog.

Lou
  13. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    JD is an assemblage of OEM Kiehin jets and a needle or two, plus an o-ring for the accelerator pump + instructions. No real magic, it just been assembled with a variety of jets for a variety of altitude applications. I've jetted a few bikes with one kit, and based on recommended jets, I've gone to the local bike shop and picked up a few jets to account for the ones in that kit that had already been used. I'm sure the Dynojet kits are fine.
  14. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    The JD needles are a custom taper. I was doing it again I'd be tempted to try the custom needle that DJH sells specifically for the RFS which people seem to claim works "better". This said, when I had issues JD's tech support was fantastic. Also the additional mains in the kit came in handy for the TAT, I think I used 3 different sizes. There are 2 o-rings in the JD kit, depending on how much you want to alter the AP squirt, I expect you can find the sizes over at KTMTalk if you want to roll your own kit.
  15. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:

Well there you have it. Hopefully Al-X has just gone and ordered the JD kit, as waiting for responses here has killed a day or two that might be better spent in a mail bag on the way to SA.
  16. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx guys for the responses!
  17. z-man99

z-man99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just took my recently purchased '07 out for a one nighter on the roads and trails between Idaho's lake Pend Oreille and the Montana border. Other than sweating my fuel range with that puny 3.1 Clarke I don't think I could have asked for a better bike for the ride. Smooth and powerful on the dirt roads and confidence inspiring when it got a little technical. I need to start looking for some street wheels for the 990 'cuz I now have a favorite new dirt toy. :evil

[​IMG]
  18. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on B Rods comments. If you're in a hot and humid climate like here in Thailand the JD needles did not work. Also if you're running Thumper Racing big bore kits (570) the stock needle worked best both for Travis in the states and myself over here.
  19. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx guys, luckily Im a noob, wont feel that mili inch diff! Just want the bike to run smooth!!
  20. purplepeopleeater

purplepeopleeater The Official VW Nut

Oddometer:
    Anyone here know of a good rear stop/turn signal light for the 525?
    LED.

Looking for something like this,

http://r.ebay.com/ERao6k

Seller is 4-6wks out before getting these back, says hes building these?