The On-Going San Diego Hijinks Thread - Back-Country Adventure Group Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by bdarling, Feb 16, 2012.

?

What Size Shirt Do You Want?

1. Sm

2. Med

3. Lg

4. XL

5. XXL

6. XXXL

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:

Sweet. I'm thinking 12ish?

Sure you can bring a funnel...question is, can you convince them to let you USE it? :lol3
  2. Shunka

Oddometer:

So far it's just me and CA Stu. Anyone else planning on showing up tomorrow? :ear
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I'm cheesing out, I forgot I've got this going on on Sunday: Link

I am going to ride the Main Divide Sunday morning from Corona and then over to the lunch meet, anyone is welcome to tag along. :D

Maybe on the way home hit Cook's Corner :D
  4. Shunka

Oddometer:
    No worries maybe next time. I'd go to that Sunday as well but Sunday is Bottling Day. Got 5 Gallons of a Dead Guy Ale clone to bottle up. :freaky

I'm still going to Stone Sat noonish if anyone wants to show.
  5. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Leaving Ramona @ 9 tomorrow and riding part of the new Hijinks route (includes Grapevine) to Butterfield where I am camping and meeting some friends riding the Desert Dash. Then in the morning I am heading back home taking the trail (don't know the name) that parallels Oriflamme to the east up to Banner Grade. I want to explore this trail to maybe include in a future big bike ride, as I remember from 10+ years ago it was an easier ride than Oriflamme but maybe a bit more sand. If to crappy I'm not afraid to turn back.

Anyone is welcome to join me as long as you can ride some light sand and can camp (you will need food for Sat night). I am on a KLR650. Should be warm and clear, lunch at Hideout.
  6. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I am in for the May 5/6 bash. I don't know which bike yet. Dainbramage is talking about coming down also. If he does, we will be on small bikes and will park the truck at the RV park and ride back to the meeting point.

If Dainbramage is not doing the ride I'll be on the big pig with a new TKC shoe up front. Maybe this time I will be faster. :eek1

Bike XR650L/R1200GS
  7. bdarling

bdarling Weather Man

Oddometer:
    Alright y'all, I just put an order in for 40 stickers. The final price is $75, shipped, so let's go with $2 per. Sound ok to everybody?
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :nod I'll take 2.
  9. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    I'll take one!
  10. Shunka

Oddometer:
    I'll take one. Gotta show up to the ride to get it right? :freaky
  11. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    4 Stone IPAs = drunk. At least for me. Thems some strong beers there Stu.
  12. Shunka

Oddometer:
    6.9% so it depends. Are they 12oz or the 22oz? :ear

My favorite is the 15th Anniversary @ 10.9% and the Double Bastard @ 10.5 Two of those 22oz and I'm :happay
  13. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Easily Distracted

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I'm in.
  14. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    12oz.

Two of those extra-strong beers in a 22oz. and I'm :snore

I'd like to claim one of those stickers, too, if I can.

Thanks
    CA Stu
  15. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Blake - I rode a modified first part of our next trip (Ramona - Butterfield) except for the gated Santa Ysabel TT yesterday. Pine Creek was new to me and a great road! I saw BMW/KTM and FuzzyNugs at the Desert Dash campground - they both rode the 200 mile trip on day one and I think Chris took day two off but my hat is off to both of them. They are a good resource to chime in about what I have to report next about Grapevine/Jasper.

I went to the hideout for a burger (and blondes) and rode DOWN the Grapevine/Jasper trail and I have concerns over the bigger big bikes riding up that trail. There are a couple uphills that will be short but steep and loose when coming from the other direction. Not sure I would want to run a 1200 up those and I consider myself a decent rider.

Also, today I scouted the Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail, this is the trail that is to the east of what we called Oriflamme (but is really Mason Valley truck trail that we rode). I rode it up from where it splits from Mason Valley TT at the bottom of Oriflamme canyon (it rejoins it just before the gate at the end by Banner grade). I am happy to say it is scenic and big bike friendly. Some of the off road sites say this trail is harder but only because of the big boulders the 4 wheelers cannot go around. It is less steep and rocky than Mason Valley TT. It will be an easy run downhill and I recommend we drop off Banner grade to this trail on the way to Butterfield on day one, just a thought.

Earlier comments about Santa Ysabel TT being harder than Grapevine is just not true coming from the direction we are planning on. There are no technical sections on SY TT, it is a Jeep trail that I used to run in 2 wheel drive. From the other direction (from Black Canyon towards Black Mtn) there are some short hill climbs but only a problem when wet and in May it will be real nice.
  16. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Sign me up for one too!
  17. bdarling

bdarling Weather Man

Oddometer:
    I'm working through a 750ml bottle of Allagash Curieux Ale. It's awesome, but at 11%, I'm having trouble typing. :freaky

I had a heckuva time staying on top of my loaded 1100 going down Grapevine, but I'm up for the challenge of going up. At the kickoff of day 2, we'll make sure to let everyone know what they're riding into. Most of the riders are on their second round, so they know what's up.

I ride SY TT several times a month during the open season and it really is nothing to worry about...more of a warm up for Grapevine.

I will have enough stickers for everyone to get at least one. I think we'll have 10 leftover for those who want two.

-B!
  18. bdarling

bdarling Weather Man

Oddometer:
    Everybody!

Yeti Scott has offered to coordinate a t-shirt order, but we need to get everybody's order before we pull the trigger. I have posted a poll, so please take a moment to submit a response.

The shirt will be a brown short sleeve cotton tee with the ride logo (post #1) on the lapel (ok, tee shirts don't have a lapel, so call it the breast). We haven't talked about the back of the shirt yet, but I'm leaning towards a clean back to keep cost down. Post up of you object.

-B
  19. Shunka

Oddometer:
    I like the small logo on the breast and a big logo across the back. As long as it's no more than $20-$25 I'm ok with it. Voted XXXL for me. I like em loose. :-)
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    To do the logo as shown (ie 3 colors) small in front and large in back, would be about $18-20.