Louisville Area Rides

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DualHabit, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Oh ok, I didn't make that connecton. :lol3
    When he comes up, I can show you guys some good gravel roads in southern IN.
  2. kamakaziozzy

kamakaziozzy 3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading down to Morango cave tommorrow with the fam. I didn't get my sidecar rig togeather in time so I'll be bringer my 09KLR. I'll skip out from time to time and for sure while they are sleeping to explore, get lost and dirty. Any one want to give up some good routs? Tag along with me for a ride? I'll be heading down from Bloomington early and camping at morango cave campsites. Doin the cave thing for a couple hours. Saturday doing the canoe trip for a couple hours. And I'd like to find some good stuff to ride. If any ones up for it let me know.
    Ty 812 325-9130:ear
  3. DualHabit

DualHabit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will be meeting to head up to Madison at 8:00 AM on Sunday at the McDonalds off Exit 0 (I-65) in Jeffersonville, IN. We'll take mostly back roads to Madison, but taking a fairly direct route in order to get there and enjoy some new roads. Once in Madison, the route is about 120 miles long. There may be a couple water X-ings as well as gravel and rough roads. All are welcome to come along. Here is a link to where we're meeting.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.266051,-85.740223&spn=0.024361,0.055747&z=15&msid=115391648200798410015.00048afcd338e6bde1d54

-Jerry
  4. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
    wish i could make it man but im in st louis for the weekend

5. kamakaziozzy

kamakaziozzy 3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have plans Sunday. I'm going to ride this afternoon if any one wants to hit interlake or where ever else. I'm in French lick this morning with the fam. Open to ride later today
  6. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like cool plans, jeff. I will be sure to let ya know when I head to KY next. DB Forest is on my list of places to explore next. :thumb
  7. DualHabit

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap! There are so many fantastic roads East and North of Madison. The GPS tracks Kris_Kris gave me are awesome. I thought there would be some gravel and mostly twisty roads, but there were so many great gravel roads that I was floored. My former opinion of the area resulted in me choosing the wrong wheelset for this ride.

[​IMG]

Should have put the bigger hoops with knobbies on. Live and learn, but the roads were still a blast without knobs. Here are a couple of pics...I'm not much of a picture taker.

Here is a picture of Mark with the appropriate equipment for the ride.

[​IMG]

The bridge was closed on Bear Creek road and we looked for a way to get through.

[​IMG]

But after scouting around in the creek, we decided to back track.

[​IMG]

We were warned about the super slick concrete creek crossings, but they were all almost completely dry, without any slickness. I count that a blessing, being on street tires.

If you get a chance, you should try out the area, I think the gravel may be better and more plentiful than the HNF.:eek1

-Jerry
  8. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Ditto to what Jerry said. I had a blast! What a great ride, perfect roads, not too hot and just the right amount of miles. I logged about 270 from Louisville round trip. I was getting tired of the seat on the wr though.

Nice mix of gravel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and paved twisty back roads...

[​IMG]

Jerry power sliding on his street tires...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, power sliding on wet grass with those tires will end up like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended the ride with our HD buds in Friendship, IN...

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing the route Kris. Looked like a lot of work putting it together.
  9. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hate that I missed it, but couldn't pass up the band lineup for the festival I was at Sunday. Any time either of you want to go again, just say the word. That looks like a great ride not too far from home.

-Erik
  10. mbabc

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a little family vacation in Arkansas. Had to show you guys a pic of where we ate lunch yesterday.

[​IMG]

The Oark General Store in Oark Arkansas. It's a must stop on the TAT for a good meal. No riders while we were there, but I saw signs of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Local rider John (sourjon) is starting off on the eastern part of the TAT starting Thursday headed to a MTF rough road ride in Colorado. Say Hello to Dan, Andy, Braz and the group for me. What a ride that's going to be! Take lot's of pics and share them with us when you get back.

Rider safe brother and try to stay cool. Very hot in NW Arkansas.
  11. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    I ate at Oark on a Sunday. Here's a shot from western Arkansas early in the morning. If you have ever thought about the TAT go for it. I had a blast and would do it again in a minute. Well maybe except for Mississippi. BLAH!

[​IMG]
  12. DualHabit

Oddometer:
    The weather is looking awesome for an after work ride on Thursday.

Waddy ya say?

-Jerry
  13. Glockowner

Glockowner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice picture, but was it taken with a cell phone? The bike looks a bit fuzzy, not really sure what is in focus. Good picture anyway.

14. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    HMMMM... not sure. It was with a camera. Canon 110sx something or other. May be the fact I rode the dusty TAT with it on a shoestring around my neck had something to do with it. By the time I got to Colorado it wouldn't fully open the lens cover and I had to push it with my finger. I bought it in Bloomington, IN on a ride after I dropped my last one and killed it. Never did like that camera and now I need a replacement.

John
  15. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL.....I've been doing the "opening of the lens cover with finger" thing for over a year with my Canon,still takes pictures though.

I think mine was from some Michigan sand :lol3
  16. mbabc

Oddometer:

Shoot I'll speak up- I'll be going. Starting to get dark earlier, can't waste these nice evenings!

Where we wanna meet. I've never partaken of the grub at the HD/BMW shop, so that's not a draw for me. Kinda' congested too. Just my 2 cents.

Mark B.
  17. DualHabit

Oddometer:
    Mark,

How about meeting at the old River Road Country Club (now Champion's Park). It's on the corner of River Road and Zorn Avenue, right across from the water tower. It used to be a golf course, now it's a walking/dog park.
    How about meeting at 5:45?

-Jerry
  18. mbabc

Oddometer:
    See you there Jerry.
  19. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    50% chance I can get there. Just depends on my workday.

John
  20. mbabc

Oddometer:
    That would be ultra-cool John. Wanna hear about the TAT and Colorado.