Tiger XC accessories / farkles thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Xcountry-Rider, Nov 4, 2012.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Rizoma's it is.:clap
  2. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! :clap
  3. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the Rizoma's, do you need to buy the separate resistors or do they come with the signals? They look good.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Culled from the installation post:

"Each signal comes with 2 resistors and wiring diagrams for various setups."
  5. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Their website said something different is why I asked.
  6. JWalton

JWalton How do I wheelie?

Oddometer:
    Each signal comes with 2 resistors in a nicely, cut-foam, packed box. My first product from them - but Rizoma look's top notch thus far.

Note: I bought the "adapters" for a Triumph with my original order. If you'r not afraid of cutting some wires (you shouldn't be) you don't need the adapters. Cut the ones off the OEM lamp and install them to the resisters with a suitable coupler. I did this with my rears & all is well. Heres a pic:

[​IMG]

The setup on bottom shows the resistor connected to the adapter (purchased separately). The top setup has the resistor re-fitted with the factory male ends that I removed from the OEM signal. This saves you a we bit of room with less "bundled wire", and will save you the $24.00 that the adapters cost. :wink:

-JW
  7. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I'm in need of better wind protection for my hands. The stock handguards just aren't doin it for me.
    I've been looking at the Barkbusters Storm and the Touratech with the spoiler. Not interested in the Hippo Hands.

Have any of you gentlemen used either of these to give me some direction here?
    They are about the same price, so I'm more concerned with functionality with regard to wind. :ricky

Also, does anyone make spoilers for the stock handguards? That would work for me too.
  8. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been very happy with HDB guards. Better wind and crash resistance. ROX risers also required.

[​IMG]
  9. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Best WIND protection will come from the Barkbusters with Storm shields.
  10. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 The Storm plastics provide excellent wind protection and are far better than the OEM. So much so that I have taken them off for the summer :1drink
  11. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Your brush off of the Hippo Hands seems a bit premature. They add the requisite fashion bling otherwise missing from a machine clearly built for a utilitarian purpose. The Hippo Hands build upon the rugged good looks inherent in the Tiger and enhance it, especially if you're willing to go with one of their bold pastel color schemes. With your Hippo Hands installed, your hands will be toasty warm, that's important, but your heart will also glow and swell (also perhaps other parts) as your friends, colleagues, and even strangers observe the clear fashion sense you exhibit with your supperior farkling efforts, and the bold statements you are willing to make.
  12. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    I have the Storms and like them. A friend of mine recently bought the "Moose molded foam handguards" for his DR650 and he like them. He put them over a pair of regular barkbusters. He also has Hippo Hands but said he uses these most of the time as they work well enough with his heated grips. I think he likes the look and ease of use with the Moose and said they go on and off very quick. These will be your cheapest option and will be the equivalent of adding spoilers to your stock ones. He bought them from Procycle here: (you have to scroll down to near the bottom of the page)

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

OR here is a quicker to navigate link to a pic: (but shown on a four-wheeler)

http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Molded-Protectors-Black-0635-0760/dp/B002TUJTSS

I don't even know why Triumph put those stock hand guards on there as they are useless even for wind the way they sag too low. I really like the ones the guy with the first reply has. They look well thought out with the folding mirror and all.
  13. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Agreed, HDB makes some pretty awesome stuff. I'd have their guards on my KLX and TE, if only I hadn't already put on Cycra guards (as the HDB products did not exist at that time.)

However, I don't like the fact that on the Tiger, ROX risers are needed for the HDB guards. Why not? Because the ROX risers add a second point of rotation for the bars. I've seen multiple instances of bikes being dropped when equipped with ROX risers, and the bars tend to twist the risers much more easily than standard risers that only have one point of rotation. I think the ROX units are very nice for their adjustability, I just don't care for their durability.
  14. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scottoiler's.....Worth it or not? Looking them over and seeing some reference but not sure if it would be a better addition or keep with the manual process of lubing the chain every several hundered miles with dry lube or chain wax.
  15. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I've had a Scottoiler on my KLR for 10k+ miles, and it's been 75% hassle-free, once it was set up and adjusted. I still have to fill the reservoir every thousand miles or so, and occasionally the little dripper moves out of whack, but it works. I don't see super-long chain life with it, though.

I installed another one on my 885i Tiger, and it never stopped asking for attention. After a few thousand miles I gave up on it and went back to spray lube. I doubt I'll install one on my 800 Tiger. It only takes a few minutes to spritz some lube on the chain.
  16. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    You really do not need to lube an O- (or X-, Z-) ring chain every few hundred miles. The grease is sealed in by the rubber seals.

You may want to wash grime off of it, and provide a cushioning factor between the sprocket and the chain, and that's where the external lube comes into play.

I would suggest a dry lube when you have a moment. Don't obsess about putting it on at specific intervals.
  17. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    not on a T800
  18. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had that problem yet and I drop my bikes lots! :D

Id rather twist the mounts or bars than break or bend something. All it takes is an allen wrench and a second or two to fix any issues.
  19. Grover6

Grover6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks,

I will be buying an 800xc in a month or so, and have been looking at different engine guards. I had originally thought of just going with the Triumph ones, realizing that the tank/fairing was unprotected. I have seen recently the Holan guard and really like them, both the look and coverage, but not sure about shipping from the UK. I also see that Touratech has a top tank guard, which would compliment the OEM engine guard.

My question is: Is one of these setups better or worse for maintenance or access? Either way they are similar in price, and I like the looks of either. So it may come down to one being fussier than the other to work around.

Thanks
  20. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Not sure about either. Have you considered the Happy Trails guards? I like mine. If you get the Touratech make sure you go with black. IMO the brushed aluminum looks out of place.