May - June Savannah to San Francisco and Back Again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Vista_Chaser, May 19, 2013.

1. Vista_Chaser

Vista_Chaser n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

My brother and I are about to take a cross country trip. We're from Georgia, so that's obviously where we're going to start. The idea is ocean to ocean, so we'll head over to Savannah in a few days, then leave from there along the Gulf. We'll stop in New Orleans, Austin, then down to Big Bend. From there we may swing into Mexico.

After that is Tucson and the parks in Arizona, like the Grand Canyon, which we should hit in a week and a half. From there, we'll hit the east side of California, go to Yosemite, and eventually ride to San Francisco at about the half-way mark for our trip.

Once there, we'll head North up the Coast for a few days then cut back East towards Yellowstone, hopefully getting there with a week left to head back toward the East coast. We'll primarily camp, besides staying with a few friends and trying out the tentspace forum.

All in all it we're giving ourselves 4 weeks, with 2 weeks in between The Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. I'll post updates when I get around to it. Any tips or tentspace along the way feel free to post or message me.
  2. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do not miss Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway NE of Yellowstone. And of course the area south of Yellowstone around Jackson, Wyoming is beautiful. Have beer at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson. Nora's Fish Creek in Wilson, Wyoming is also cool.

When in Texas and Big Bend, do not miss the River Road, Pinto Canyon, Chisos Basin, Marfa, Texas. Balmorrea State Park has awesome cool, clear Spring fed large natural pool to swim in. You will need it. Drink ALOT of water the whole trip.

Outside Austin, around Kerrrville, do not miss 3 Twisted Sisters riding. They are Ranch Roads 335, 336 &337. Outside Austin close to Driftwood is a great and classic BBQ joint called The Salt Lick. Touristy but great. South Congress are in Austin is cool. If you want to party with ALOT of drunk college kids, then 6th Street in Austin is for you. Me, been there done that many years ago. Luckenbach, Texas-about an hour away from Austin is a great Texas Bar and Dance Hall. Expect to see alot of bikes there on week-ends. Albert Dance Hall and bar, close by, is also cool. Close by Frederiksburg has all you need for lodging and great food. Hill Top diner just NW of there is great place to eat and drink.
  3. Vista_Chaser

Vista_Chaser n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome, thanks. We'll at least check some of those out.
  4. Cyclenaut

Cyclenaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM me if you need a place to stay in the Phoenix area...
  5. Vista_Chaser

Vista_Chaser n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. If anyone is interested, I'm going to post on my blog here:

http://twowheelzenmachine.blogspot.com/

Possibly. I might post on this thread more. Please feel free to PM me any tips or cool spots along the way.
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Will follow your progress here and on your blog.

Have fun!