Inexpensive Summer Housing In Fairbanks, AK

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by KHud, Dec 14, 2011.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Available again in 2012!!!

I'm no longer am affiliated with UAF Housing but the offer is still valid; contact UAF Housing directly... not me.

If you are planning on traveling through Fairbanks, Alaska during the summer of 2012, then you can get inexpensive housing on the campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). During the summer you can stay in a dorm room for less than 50% of what it will cost in a local hotel. Rates have not been set but should be close to last year's rates of $46/night for a double room ($23 per person) or $39/night for a single. The rooms are austere with the bathroom down the hall, but they are safe, clean, dry and warm. Just the place to stage for a trip to Deadhorse or to recover from the Dalton ride. A room in a flea bag motel can cost $120 during the summer in Fairbanks. SEE POST 7 FOR AN UPDATE ON THE NEW RATES

Space is available generally between May 26th and August 15th. They normally have space all summer, but on occasion they do get full so it is best to make a reservation at least a month out; sooner is better. Reservations can be made by calling (907) 474-5846/6769 starting in late April.

Over 300 riders stayed on campus during each of the past three riding seasons.

BE SURE TO MAKE IT KNOWN THAT YOU ARE A MOTORCYCLIST!!!
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update AKBeemer.:freaky

This is an awesome offer. We used this on our travels through Alaska a few nights in June of 2011. Clean, Comfortable, Friendly people, and you're sure to bump into a few fellow riders.

Safe travels to all in 2012 and THANK YOU UAF.
  3. AlaskaMCAdv_Girl

AlaskaMCAdv_Girl AlaskaMCAdv_girl

Oddometer:
    AKbeemer - thanks for this information! Just got off the phone with a rider/client that will stay there next summer for two nights. His question was about leaving personal gear/items in the dorm room while they ride to the Arctic Circle and back in one day. OK? No problem with locking up their room?

Someone asked me about Gracious House on the Denali Highway for summer of 2012? Will they be offering all services?

Thanks much!
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:

I retired from the University a few months ago so I cannot speak with any authority on what they will or will not do. I do know that the current Director of campus housing plans to continue hosting motorcycle travelers in 2012. My guess is that they will also continue to store some belogings for folks going up the haul road. They have a storage area; you do not just leave it in the room unless you want to pay for a room while you are up north. Storage is free if done in their
    storage area.

My info on Gracious House is also dated. We rode down there last July and Butch & Carol were still open for business. The place was for sale but their website still shows them as the owners (http://www.alaskaone.com/gracious/). There is a phone number listed so it should be easy to check. Here is a thread about our visit last summer: (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709778&highlight=Gracious+House).
  5. chrome bandit

chrome bandit Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Delighted to hear UAK is continuing their hospitality. We stayed last summer...highly recommended. They even found 4 rooms for us when we decided at the last minute to stay an extra night in mid-July.
  6. AlaskaMCAdv_Girl

AlaskaMCAdv_Girl AlaskaMCAdv_girl

Oddometer:
    AKbeemer - thank you so much! All good information to pass on to visitors. I was unaware of the storage area - great idea!

Also, glad to hear Gracious House will be open next summer 2012. We were there on a ride in mid-September and the gate was locked.
  7. Air_Bob

Air_Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just booked two nights at UAF in June. Here are the charges for a double room with two persons for one night. The rates have gone up. Probably still cheaper than a motel room.

Charges ----------------------

$35.50 Double Shared. 1 Nights @ $35.50/Night.
    $35.50 Double Shared. 1 Nights @ $35.50/Night.

Balance ----------------------

$71.00 Balance Due
  8. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    [QUOTEProbably still cheaper than a motel room.[/QUOTE]

Definitely cheaper than a hotel room. Pretty hard to find a hotel room for $120/night in Fairbanks in the summer and most are well above that. The dorm rooms are clean and simple. Shared bath, of course, but includes linen and towel. If you plan to stay in Fairbanks for a day, the museum is just a short distance up the hill from the dorms and well worth visiting.

Ironically, I graduated from UAF in 1985 and didn't stay in a dorm room until I started riding motorcycles.
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    While I was there I caused them to give motorcyclists the cheapest rate available; the same a student guest would get. It appears they are now charging the rate that would apply to any unaffiliated person, and it looks like those rates have gone up a bit too.

Still a good deal. As mentioned, a low end motel in Fairbanks can run $120 in the summer. UAF also offers free laundry facilities, storage of gear while you are up north and the chance to mingle with other riders. It's a good place to hear about the haul road from those who have just returned or find riding partners for the trip to Deadhorse. Of course, all of this is info that is 6 months old. I'm staying on campus myself next June and will get an update. :eek1
  10. Air_Bob

Air_Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From UAF Conference center:

"The rates you listed were from last year. Unfortunately, our rates have increase for this summer. You can find them online at http://www.uaf.edu/guesthousing/rates/. All motorcyclists, unless part of a pre-approved group staying with us, fall under the "Guest" rate."
  11. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Well there ya go..........
  12. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    we stayed there last summer....awesome deal and it's cheaper this year than last year:huh PK...I see rates went up $2 for 2 riders...well worth it big time!
  13. scooterGdawg

scooterGdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any idea if this is available this year?
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I've been retired for over a year. Give the U. a call.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer: