Anyone near upstate SC, GA, NC want to ride?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by stretch160, Jul 19, 2013.

1. stretch160

stretch160 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live between Greenville and Spartanburg, and would like to find some people to ride local, and not so local trails with.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Chiknmunky

Chiknmunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's short notice,but I'm available tommorow( Sat.).Been itchin to get the DR out.
  3. 1worshipguy

1worshipguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Pickens area...some good riding over here. Been looking for some company to take Horsepasture Rd one day.
  4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    The cool thing is that Horsepasture is open year round now to licensed vehicles.:wink:
  5. Chiknmunky

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that it's only open the 7 mi.to jumping off rock.I hav'nt been in there in a while so I can't say firsthand.
  6. stretch160

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed your post. The DR is down for a little maintanence, but I would like to ride some time. I have found some great places to ride if I can get someone to go with me. The DR Should be up by the weekend of the 10th.. PM me when you want to ride.

I've been on horsepasture, it's basicly a dirt road with deep gravel. Not bad, but there is much more interesting riding in the area. How do you feel about jeep and ATV trails? PM me when you want to ride..
  7. stretch160

Oddometer:
    here are some pictures from this weeks ride. It should give you an idea of where I like to ride.
    crazy mushroom tree
    [​IMG]
    trail is a little orergrown, but the view was nice.
    [​IMG]
    easier to follow
    [​IMG]
    todays first water crossing. easy peasy
    [​IMG]
    that's gonna be a little trickier
    [​IMG]
    toataly faked water crossing :p
    [​IMG]
    big old pipe. insert pipe laying jokes here.
    [​IMG]
    more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now It's times like this I wish I had someone to ride with me.
    I don't mind a bit of rutted trails, but this is just rediculous..
    [​IMG]
    I could just see my self getting hurt out here in the middle of nowhere, and nobody even knew where I was.
  8. Chiknmunky

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm down with that! That's the kinda riding I like. Post up when you get your bike sorted.
    Thought I might head out somewhere tomorow,maybe the Gorges & Wolf mt. I don't know. If anyone is interested.
  9. 1worshipguy

1worshipguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the kind of stuff I want to get to but I'm not there yet. I've been on street bikes too long and have to unlearn some stuff. Plus I've got to learn how to handle a GS Adventure off pavement.

Anyway, want to get there at some point. So I'll keep up with this thread and look to ride at some point.

Tomorrow, I'm actually riding with a group from church (our 1st Saturday ride that happens every month, rain or shine). The only deal is most are street only, only me and another guy on a GS Adventure. It's open to anyone that rides though.

Talk to you later.
  10. HI378

HI378 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am new to the area and I'm on an 05 Tiger so I can't go some places the DR will but I'm looking to learn my way around the Upstate. Would love to find some like minded and either understanding or less skilled riders to explore with.
  11. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics stretch.

I'm in Brevard, just up the mountain from some of you. I've got a KLR that I run around on. I travel a fair amount for work, sometimes on short notice, but if any of you want to ride shoot me a PM and if I'm home I'll go.

I know a lot of the stuff north and west of Brevard and am slowly getting acquainted with the stuff south and east of here.

I'm content running around with the big adv bikes or the smaller dual sports either way. Though if I'm the biggest bike in the group I'll be swapping sprockets and tires to try and cheat my way into keeping up with the little bikes on the rough stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for some examples to post, I realized I need to stop more to take photos. I don't have anything from most of my rides.

:beer:
  12. stretch160

Oddometer:
    argh.... it's taking a little longer than expected. I don't know if the DR will be ready by this weekend. I'll PM you when I can ride.

The GS1200 is a bug bike, but some people can do pretty amazing things with them.
    I'd like to ride with you. We could stick to the dirt roads and stay off the ATV trails if you like.

Sweet, looks like you have found some spots I haven't yet. I recognize the spot in the last pic, but not the first two. I look forward to riding with you when I get the DR back on the road. I probably can share some new spots with you too. I'm still hoping to have it done by this weekend..keeping up with me isn't an issue, I'm slow. I prefer the first gear stuff anyway. The only other rider I've ridden with off road was on a gen1 KLR.
  13. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmm, id be up for a ride with you guys too. either on my ktm 950 or the husaberg 450
    Looks like you guys have found stuff we haven't!
  14. whitebreadadv

Oddometer:
    The first photo is an awesome area to ride and it'll take you to the NC/SC state line if you go far enough south. During certain times of the year, it's also the access to the north end of Bad Creek (when SC has the gate open). I was 8 miles off pavement at that photo. Big bikes with willing riders will have no trouble on the main parts, and there's a ton of side trails for the little bikes. Oh, and the erosion control berms are steep enough to make even a klr pig fly. It's not on most maps but is a (roughly) maintained road.

Second and third photos are an area I stumbled upon while living near Highlands. I've taken 3 people from this board down there and to my knowledge they are the only ones on the board that know of its' existence. It's really fun but no good for large groups due to proximity to uppity neighbors.

Last one you recognized is always a fun road, made more so by the heavy rains this year. Always a good choice for a mixed surface day.

I run Kenda 270s and a +1 front sprocket most days (better highway manners and still fine for big bike roads and 2 track). Then switch to -1 sprocket and full knobbies for small bike / singletrack stuff to try and keep the heavy pig under control. I'm the same in offroad tastes- high speed gravel is fun for a while, but first gear is where the excitement is at. Looks like you carry more gear but have a lighter bike - we'd probably be pretty well matched.

35xj either of your bikes would run circles around mine but I'll be glad to ride sometime if you decide to head this way. If you know the good spots north of AVL then perhaps I could head up that way for the day as well.

:beer:
  15. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Bastardconquistador Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm nearly always up for a ride.
  16. Chiknmunky

Oddometer:
    I did about 230 mi. Saturday.When I rode out on the rock in the last pic,there where 3 girls out on the rock with their sleeping bags..
    Rode over to Wayahuta and made a couple loops. Came back across Pinnacle and ran into a couple guys,one on a new 690 and the other on a DRZ.
  17. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Stretch (and anyone else in the area), keep an eye on the Upstate dinner thread and head over to make and maintain contacts. The dinner moves around every few gatherings to a different restaurant; the first post in the thread is updated with the location.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, Aug. 7) should be the next gathering. (I just got back from a ride, so I haven't been in a while, but I'm about to go shake the tree/bump the thread. :D )

Here's the link:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684695

All the best,
    Chris
  18. stretch160

Oddometer:
    So, how tricky is negotiating those boulders at the end of the bridge. Looks like fun, but the idea of braking me or the bike is the main reason why I want to find some local people to ride with. Whenever I come on an interesting obstacle I can't help but thinking how long it would be before anyone could find me out here.

The bike is coming back together nicely. If the rain holds off I may get out and play some sunday.
  19. whitebreadadv

Oddometer:
    I rode across with no issue after walking across first to scout a line(there's 8 more miles of trail and 2 more creek crossings on the far side before you hit the gate at SC line, so it's worth it :evil). It's a bit disconcerting if you haven't crossed before and especially if you're by yourself, but there is a good line there. From the viewpoint where photo was taken, center up between tire marks on steel bridge, drop onto left (camera's left) side of biggest rock then come straight out/down across small rocks in middle.

Goal is to keep front tire out of a big crevice - that's when things go sideways. Let the rear tire go where it likes, keep the front on line, and use moderate steady throttle feathering clutch to control speed.

First time across (coming towards camera) I paddle footed it due to having highway gears on bike and not being real comfortable with the speed required for feet up riding (no one around to help if I screwed up). On the way back I went up/over/down at about 10mph with no drama. A better rider, especially on a smaller bike, would have zero issues. And the Graham Jarvis types would wheelie across it at 50mph, so it's all a matter of perspective :D

I'm out of town for business currently, headed home tomorrow afternoon, so riding is out for me this weekend- doing the family thing with the remainder. Then I head out Wed for MotoGP at Indy :clap However, the following weekend I would be down for a ride.
  20. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    This looks fun.