Detroit Greetings

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bruno T ., Sep 2, 2008.

1. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    That's great news, Phil.

As far as the camaraderie thing, you're absolutely right. It can be a little bit of work to hook up with a riders group that is matched with your riding ability and preferences, but it's well worth the effort to do so.

You've got a sweet, very well set up bike. Put some time on it in the dirt, it's not gonna happen in just a few weeks but the results you're looking for will come.

You can do it !
  2. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruno, check out United States Patent 3709185:

An amphibious motor bike in which collapsible pontoons may be inflated and removably secured to the sides of the motor bike for supporting it on a body of water and at a position where the water level will be not higher than the lower one-third portion of the rear wheel. The pontoons are sectionalized and can be removed from the motor bike sides and deflated and collapsed like an accordion and then mounted in carriers arranged at the sides of the motor bike. A linear and flexible water paddle has articulated sections which permit it to be removably mounted on the rear tire of the motor bike so as to be rotated thereby and thus propel the motor bike over the body of water. A rudder can be moved from inoperative into operative position and it will be actuated by the operator manipulating the handle bars for steering the vehicle over the water.

Pics: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3709185.pdf
  3. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    ... is to let someone else go first [and move the damn floating branch out the way] :D
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    No problem...
  5. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys my name is Matt, I am a newbie, well took off 3 years and had to go a different direction due to the economy. I am looking to get back into the game. I was able to get back into Mt. Biking again and now that has started the dirt bike itch. I had a big bike before because I liked to camp and do long distance stuff but would like to get into the single track and the GLDS events this time around. I took both a KLR650 and a F800gs on 2 separate events and it was to much.... sand and 400+ pounds for a newbie is no good. They were great for lake superior trip and Blue ridge mts. but not single track in the hands of this rider. I would appreciate any tips and advice, I am currently looking for a 450 to have some fun with for both the local McBiker rides and the events. Thanks in advance for the help and support, looks like a lot of fun is had here.
    Matt
  6. mbim12

mbim12 1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Matt, good to see your still around.
  7. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It is good to be back. Couple rough years but all good. Glad to see your having fun. I do need to ask. How did you super ninja that bike into a tree. Oh my. Hope to get a bike soon to hit the dirt.
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    One more reason to stay away from hard bags.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dtXFThyr764" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    I think KTM640DAKAR (Todd) can relate to that video. He hooked a soft bag on a fence post while riding his Ducati 996 around a parking lot at an AMA roadracing event (Mid-Ohio? Road America? Can't remember).

It is far better to rip a soft bag or tear a strap than to hit hard stuff against hard stuff.

Anybody have any experience tearing Gobi bags off a KTM Adventure? I'm assuming that those tupperware boxes will "give" if push comes to shove. Probably better than aluminum panier boxes.
  10. Simple.

Simple. I'm Special

Oddometer:
    Woah, that was hardcore. :eek1

11. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Matt, I drove past the TransDitch on the way to shooting sporting clays the pAst Thanksgiving weekend in Mansfield. It is grassy and ditch-like just as you remembered it. Did you have soft bags on that bike?

Yes hooking a softbag on a steel snowfence post will pick up the back end of the bike. luckily the bag tore away from the bike and I stayed upright. Had to use a shoe lace and an awe to sow it back together.:lol3 That happened down at the Barber race trAck in Alabama.
  12. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I think I just made up my mind to stick with my soft bags ! :eek2
  13. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    The Transalp had soft bags, yes. However, the ice-chest full of that day's refreshments, was certainly HARD. And since it was bungee corded to the luggage rack, it slid to the right side of the bike, pulling the bike to the right. This occurred somewhere between the first and second "bounce" - I had about as much success keeping the bike upright as that poor sap on the FJR. When the dust settled, that ditch looked like some bizarre yard sale. Thanks for the memory :lol3
  14. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Look what Aaron has been doing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm jealous.
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    You already know what I am going to say... :deal
  16. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Third week in Feburary?

:D
  17. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally, I can ride with you gents!!

[​IMG]
  18. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along

Oddometer:
    Nice! 450?
  19. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes Sir, a 2005 450 EXC, very well maintained. I am lucky.
  20. Simple.

Simple. I'm Special

Oddometer:
    Nice score! Ive been looking for something like that as well.

Jon