Insurance spike in Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skrider, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that Canadian Press is on the story now, so this is good.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=9ebcf1c3-b5ad-44d9-8443-dd647c780800

Hopefully, industry and / or other stakeholder groups will hire a statistician, get SGI's statistics, and crunch the numbers. A freedom of information application may be part of that process. But I doubt if that will happen.

An acquaintance of mine is a professional accident investigator and consultant, a graduate of Northwestern University in Illinois. He told me that the average police officer gets very little training in accident investigation, and the result is that accident reporting in general, is poor.
  2. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comeplete bullshit. We need to get rid of SGI here, the stranglehold they have on us residents is getting to be too much.

The proposed hike so far has come with no solid facts or anything to back it up.

Typical of them though, saskpower and saskenergy are no better.
  3. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And here I had the impression that the Wall government was more amenable to private initiative. :hide
  4. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
  5. Steveo.

Steveo. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch, that stings! I pay around $715 a year for full coverage on a 2011 Monster 796 with one ticket in the last 10 years. If my insurance went to over $3000+ I'd be getting rid of the bike and sticking to the KTM offroad. That's rediculous and I hope you guys don't end up with that kind of deal. :eek1
  6. Steveo.

Steveo. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other thing the insurance companies seem to be ignoring is the fact that 95% of motorcycle owners in Canada are also paying car insurance at the same time as bike insurance, but not driving their cars. In effect, the increased premium is already there and covered by the bike owner paying insurance twice, while only driving one vehicle at a time. By their logic, I should be able to get a break on my full coverage policy on my truck that sits, (fully insured) in a locked garage all summer while I'm out on my bike. For 6+ months a year my truck is my "toy" while I ride my bike to work, on errands and while I'm travelling.
  7. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Their power to weight spec would put even my R1200ST into that category. :doh
  8. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    Just to make sure I got this right, The above prices are for...Registration only or registration and insurance?

In Quebec the Overloard extortes me for around $650 for the privilige of using the crappy roads for about 6 months and a liability for our no fault insurance on any damage I might do to persons. Then I have to insure the bike for damage to others (property, no choice ) and I also insure my ride (my choice) for a total of around $350. So around a grand before paying for my permision to drive. You pay extra for the privilage of riding a motorcycle. Minimum price is around $135 but can cost over $400.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php Here is the SAAQ's link if anyone cares

Ps. I am 47 with a perfect driving record on a 2009 1200GS
  9. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
  10. squiffynimrod

Oddometer:
    For those who do not facebook it's worth a look, here's a letter outline they have drafted.

FOR THOSE OF YOU NEED/WANT REFERENCE - HERE ARE SOME TALKING POINTS FOR YOUR LETTER SO WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE - IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT YOU FEEL NEEDS TO BE ADDED PLZ FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME : R.A.G.E Action Communique - initial talking points

It evident from the proliferation of R.A.G.E. membership communication that the proposed 2013 Rate Application put forward by SGI to the Saskatchewan Rate Review Panel is unacceptable as proposed, and requires further input and discussion by impacted parties.

At this point, immediate communication of this concern by R.A.G.E participants to the appropriate governmental agencies is critical. It is every eligible voter/taxpayer's civic responsibility to communicate with their elected members of government, and the government agencies responsible for providing services and policy. It is important to remember your/our government is elected for the sole purpose of carrying out, or administering the will of it's electorate, which is us "the people". This is not a responsibility either party should take lightly!!!

Having said that, a number of R.A.G.E. members have collected and reviewed input from the R.A.G.E. populous to date and condensed what we believe to be the salient points, expressed as a list below:

A) Recovery of costs associated with motorcycle accidents in Saskatchewan is key to the Rate Review purpose.

B) The May 1st 2013 Review dead-line for the Rate approval is unacceptable, and must be revised as it does not permit adequate time for public dialogue, research and analysis prior to any rate rebalancing or fiscal cost recovery beyond the proposed 2.27% rate increase for all vehicles.

C) The rate increase for vehicles/motorcycles be consistent with the proposed four wheel rate increase of a 2.27% maximum.

D) Fiscal recovery by levying a rate increase across the board directed at motorcycles or vehicles of any type is inherently flawed.

E) R.A.G.E proposes that the remaining cost short-fall be re-examined and re-directed toward specific high-risk individuals responsible for the cost escalation.

F) The proposed uncapping treatment for motorcycle be rescinded and rate cap treatment be approved across the board.

Recommended Immediate Action
    Compose a letter appropriately voicing your concerns/displeasure with the 2013 Rate proposal, the proposal approval time frame, and the proposal's in appropriate schedule of cost recovery, or rate rebalancing to:
    - The Premier
    - The Minister responsible for SGI and Crown Investments Corp.
    - Your MLA
    - The Saskatchewan Rate Review Panel

( do not forget to request a reply )
  11. squiffynimrod

Oddometer:
    "The Rate Review Panel has released a notice of their intentions to review the Saskatchewan Auto Fund proposed rate adjustments.

There are five ways to make your views known:

You can attend the public meetings, email the panel, send a voice message, mail a letter or respond on their website.

email input@saskratereview.ca

voice message 1-877-368-7075 (Saskatoon 306-934-1948)

mail P.O. Box 1301, Saskatoon, SK S7K 3N1

www.saskratereview.ca

The Panel will hold public meetings at the Regina Delta on April 9th at 7:30 p.m. and at the Saskatoon Travelodge on April 22nd, also at 7:30.

The Panel will also commission a detailed, independent technical study of the application.

The final report will be delivered to the provincial government by June 12th.

It is then the provincial Cabinet that would make the final decision on the rate request."
  12. squiffynimrod

Oddometer:
  13. squiffynimrod

Oddometer:
    FYI. More pedestrians killed or injured than motorcyclists every year from 2004 to 2009.

[​IMG]
  14. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle injuries spiked in 2006, and I wonder if this is what is creating the attention. But the tables say nothing about who caused these accidents, and this needs to be analyzed by the stake holders.

I don't know if it comes from the Hurt Report, but the number that I have read is 80% of motorcycle / car & truck collisions result from the negligence of the car / truck operators; the left turn thing being the most common.

I hope the consultations come to something more than a bunch of angry riders yelling at the bureaucrats. Someone needs to present some good data, which is professionally analyzed. And pump the hell out of it in the media. Wall's a smart guy. The amount of revenue from riders, as a percentage of the overall operating budget, is probably insignificant, and this is probably not a fight he needs to pick.
  15. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did two short work stints in Sask. last year. I was scared by the drivers in Saskatoon and Regina. I think the idea of no fault insurance means they can run into anything. Passing cars going over hills, around corners (blind) was common as was speeding.

We retired in 2008 and moved out of Ab. We should have moved to Sask. but even than insurance was crazy expensive. We considered Ont. but bike insurance was through the roof so we took a pass there too. Private auto insurance is the way to go. None of the public insurance schemes work.
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Works great for BC government. Fuckers pull 1 billion$ a year off ICBC's profits, just use it as another form of taxation. Which is my prediction with Saskatchewan, as tax revenue dwindles, and government workers' pension promises loom ever closer and bigger in scale.
  17. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pay roughly $200/year per bike for insurance in N.B. That is basic coverage with $1mm liability. That is one of the only good reasons to live here.
  18. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    holy crap!! I"d tell you what I pay south of the border but it would piss u off. ouch, I feel for you guys. thats brutal.
  19. skrider

skrider 2011 Strom

Oddometer:
  20. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I said in post 36, this is probably not a fight he needs to pick....:D

The insurance bureaucrats probably don't have the bigger picture that Wall has. Also, Saskatchewan is the only province in Canada (and probably the only jurisdiction in North America) that has a budget surplus, so Wall may not be worried about any biker insurance "deficit". It may even be that some sharp number cruncher on his staff has picked the insurance weenies' numbers apart, and discovered that there isn't a deficit, or it's lower than they say it is.