Exploring Backwoods, MS in pictures with BackwoodsKLR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by backwoodsKLR, Apr 14, 2012.

1. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    I finally start riding back the way I came expecting to see them zooming towards me at any corner and when I came around one corner, I saw Kingsize laying in the road and DQ and Knightwork picking up the GSA... :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will this buff out?

[​IMG]

I am guessing it got squirly and his front wheel caught a small rut, and the front end swept out. he said he remembers fighting it lock to lock but it went over hard. He flew over the handebars and skidded on his head for a ways. he thinks he was going around 45. His helmet showed lots of gravel rash. The bike rolled probably 3 times and ended up upside down. Parts going everywhere... Kingsize eventually got up and was walking around. Appears to be okay.:clap Bike may be totaled. :cry

So I call my daughter for help who gets my Jeep Wrangler and a neighbor hooks a trailer up to it and she drives the 130 or so miles to come find us. I gave her the address off my GPS, she typed it into the GPS in the dash of the Jeep and it brought her right to us...

So it's 4:45 by the time we get the BMW on the trailer and head for a gas stop. Temps were dropping quickly and we had over an hour ride to get home. One of my heated grips was out (faulty wiring and am waiting on replacement) and was not bundled up as warm as I could have been. It was a long, dark, cold trip home. I lost count of how many deer we saw on the shoulder.

Got Kingsize home and unloaded the BMW for insurance adjuster to come check out. He went to hospital and was given an OK. I bet he is sore today!! What an adventure! Heal up quick, Kingsize!!!
  2. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    SO what is there to do while sitting on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere for a couple of hours? Well...

[​IMG]

DQ said he was getting prepared for the ride home and dropping temps...

[​IMG]

But then he walked out from behind his bike... :lol3

[​IMG]
  3. carabnsol

carabnsol should have been a cowboy

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that broke first causing the crash?:eek1
  4. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    Thanks BW.:eek1

I'll add a few photo's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. DavidQ

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. DavidQ

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. DavidQ

Oddometer:

I don't think so. The wheel took a pretty good blow on the side. So hard there is gravel wedged between the wheel and tire. My guess is the swing arm broke due to significant side force incurred while the bike was flipping.

Obviously that's just my opinion.
  8. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In order, I want to thank KW, BW and DQ for their help. These guys were amazing and really worked hard. Also, a thnk you to BW's daughter who got a trailer and drove all the way down to get me. This is one of those times, you can't put a value of that kind of friendship.

As far as me, I went to the ER last night and the Doctor didn't see anything that needed emergency aid so he cut me free with pain pills and muscle relaxers which I took last night but probably won't any more. I have inner ear issues occasionally and immediately after the wreck, the positional vertigo came back. I'll need to get back in to see me ENT as soon as possible. It took me over an hour of moving this morning before I could really walk normal. Now, I've been up a few hours and am better. We've all been there at some point, you know how it is. It will suck for a while but I'll be ok.

What happened? I've had a few wrecks and this was by far the quickest. It was a good road and I was humming along a bit over 45 when the front end cut HARD to the left. I grabbed the bars and wrestled it back and over compensated to the right. That was then the bike washed out under me. I high sided over the bars and first my head hit the road and then I rolled forward and landed on my butt hard. Almost in a recliner position and slid about 10 ft until I stopped. I could hear the bike behind me rolling and bouncing. All I could think was it was going to catch up and roll over me but it didn't. I then tried to get up and pretty much couldn't. BW was in front and had no idea what had happened so he kept riding. DQ had waited back at the previous intersection of KW. When KW and DQ rode up, KW ran over and told me now to move. I listened even though adrenalin makes you want to jump up.

I couldn't see my bike but could hear the comments like, "Wow, that's not good" and He's not driving this home" and when I looked back and saw it on it's back, I knew it was bad.

Now for the really bad AND I mean REALLY BAD part. I sold my older Suzuki when I bought this BMW and in an obvious moment of utter stupidity, didn't think about changing coverage. The Suzuki was values at about 2,500 and I only carried liability. I simply transferred the same coverage to the BMW. I would have never done that knowingly considering the value of this bike. So now it's a matter of determining if it can be fixed. I've had some overly generous offers to help me and I'm humbled. I'll be honest, yesterday was bad but this morning when I pulled my insurance out to confirm my hospital would be covered and found what I had done, I was broken. It's about as low as I've felt in years.

I'll know in the next few weeks if it can be repaired. Best case scenario is next Spring after spending a thousand or so dollars, I am up and running albeit without panniers. Worst case, it has to be parted out. No way of knowing now.
  9. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This picture is scary. Had I not gotten the info last night that KS was more or less ok, I would be freaking out right now.
  10. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    I don't think so either. With the swing arm broken it pretty much lay's down on the back tire. I'd have felt a big drop and I didn't. I went 30-40 feet down the road wrestling the steering before I went over. You can see where the rear tire is almost equal to the bash plate. I'd have pretty much been low riding with the bask plate scraping the road.
  11. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    This is where it started. The only thing we saw was a small rut. I't shard to believe that it would have been enough to pull me so hard to the left. It's at the bottom of this photo.
    [​IMG]

These are impact holes from one of the rolls. Probably the one that broke the swing arm. I went off before this and you can see how far I slid before stopping on the other side of the bike. By the way, I was in 4th gear. I checked the bike this morning.
    [​IMG]

The first thing that hit.
    [​IMG]
  12. wolfy317

wolfy317 BMW ADDICT

Oddometer:
    Man KS. Sorry about the insurance thing. That's rough. If I can help somehow, let me know. Glad you're more or less physically ok.
  13. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Hey, KS... glad you are up and about. Let me know if I can do anything to help you.
  14. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Hey KS, is there any chance it was tire pressure related, i.e. a puncture and pretty sudden deflation leading to sketchy handling?
  15. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Tires are still fully inflated. Even with a rock in the bead on the rear.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Wow KS. So glad you are mostly ok. I will throw in a hand working on the bike when you start the rebuild. Looks like a hell of an off. Have been in touch with BW checking on you, hope the next couple days are as comfortable as possible.

Keep us updated.
  17. carabnsol

carabnsol should have been a cowboy

Oddometer:
    What about drive shaft failure?
  18. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Shaft separated at U-Joint. If housing was not busted, could have hooked it back up and rolled home. Shaft looked normal.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
  19. Unclejimmy1

Unclejimmy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HeyKS......Sorry about your. Unexpected git off......I hope you heal quickly and getback to normal! You are luckily and I am glad you are on the mend with no really bad compilations ... Hey. I got a KLR that need to be used and it yours till you get bike Fixed......just say the word and I will bring it to ya.......You probably ant gonna wanna ride for a few days,,,,I have had two get off and it took about a 6 months to get completely healed,,,,,,Meds are your friends. Keep us informed ,got you on my prayer list!!! Uncle. Jimmy :clap:D
  20. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I'll add my 0.02 worth---We had a wonderful day until rounding that corner and seeing KS splayed out --with the bike up on it back and the wheels straight up in the air--bits and pieces everywhere---as I came around further I see KS on his back and not moving ---went back into medic mode and got off Frau Brueller purty quik to get to him--DQ right there with me--after prelim check he looked "shaken and stirred" but all his parts seemed to be there but dizzy as hell---Thank Goodness for helmets and gear-without that he might of not been here---He's a pretty tough ole boy---Made it back home on the trailer of shame and I would not leave until he went to get checked out --So Mama KS gets him ready and off we go to the ER---He comes out walking a little crooked but at least walking- says he's ok and sore -- said he was going home and try to relax--I texted BW and DQ to let them know status and I went on the little jaunt back to my house --about and an hour later when I get home i see that KS texted me so I know that he's ok and he was worried about me getting home---TOLD YA'LL HE'S A TOUGH OLD BOY......... DIDN'T I---

So I would guess that the Rebuild of his bike will be my participation of the next GREAT PROJECT-----
    hang in there KS and we'll get patched up and rolling if possible ---maybe Santa can help with some of it :wink:

Later KW