the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:

My short list, if they did update the DR, would be a 6th gear and better forks. Might as well stick a good digital gauge on it too while they're at it, but that'd be it. Leave the rest of the bike alone. Still though, I don't see it happening. Any change requires extensive reworking of documentation, service manuals, marketing materials, etc, etc, etc.

Rob
  2. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:

You can't be serious right?
  3. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the Cogent DIY shock modification kit. Any problems or concerns?

Thanks
  4. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:

www.Procycle.us *
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I own both so I actually KNOW what I'm talking about. :rolleyes
  6. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    :cry
    Had one that sucked but have a few other with FI, wouldn't want carbs on my C14. With the shiiiii gas we get today you got to keep the fuel fresh for those carbs. Guess that might be true for FI but seems like less of an issue.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a fine line; one guy gets p!ssed, the next guy gets the joke. :freaky

It's 6F* :2cry
  8. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Very well done Video! :clap
    Is that your work? Or from another source? And of course I have to ask ...
    do you know what Camera was used? Great image quality throughout!
    Some Hellish mud there mate and some knarly tracks for the DR650.
    Good going. :freaky
  9. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of owners like yourself that have had good luck with the F650's. The model goes back to around 1994 and the first "Funduro" model.

But if you follow travel reports you'll find LOTS of things have failed ... repeatedly ... on the F650's. Most common things were: dead batteries (BMW did not use a sealed battery),over charging, overheating due to failed water pumps, fuel pump issues, cracked shock mount and failed shocks, broken off forks, and lots of lots of bad wheel bearings.

Having read the Chain Gang forum for years and followed Horizon's Unlimited travelers since about 2002, I've heard quite a few trouble issues. Still, at least 75% have had NO such issues.

My theory is when pushed hard with a load ... the F650's weak areas can show up. I feel the Chinese made BMW's and Huskies will both be better in the long run.
  10. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I disagree. Although nothing can really be proved definitively YET ... I feel that the Euro goes further in China and better quality will be the result. If the basic design is sound then with precise manufacture and top quality components it's a Win Win for BMW (and Husky) After all ... BMW make cars in China too.

What's been hurting BMW the last 10 years or so has been some dodgy Eastern European parts suppliers ... and some slip shod QA (quality assurance) in Berlin. Even former BMW designer David Robb admitted to this.

Based on some experience with the DR I feel it may not be the top end that will be in need of service. If the gear box lets go ... well :eek1

But I'm sure a fresh top end couldn't hurt if you tend to over rev and hold the bike at high RPM's for long periods. Mine's at 50K now ... still good compression, no oil use and good power!
    Look after the oil, valve adjustments and filters and it may surprise you. :thumb
  11. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Well said.
    The reviews of the Husky Terra suspension has (so far) been pretty good.
    I believe they're using Sachs suspension on the Terra. I don't have a lot of experience with Sachs, only test ridden a few Huskies and Aprilias fitted with them. Has to be better than the Bottom shelf Showa items BMW have fit to their 650 line for so many years. :ear
  12. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have the skf part number for these seals? My local Autoparts carries Skf, and I need to give them the part number. Thanks.

Bill
  13. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Anybody know the torque settings for head bolts on an 02? Must buy book.
  14. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a new KTM 640 in 2002 and I don't see any difference in simple maintenance cost between that and my DR650's. I do all my own work but an oil change is the same the valves are super easy on both of them, changing tires is the same, reliability was the same- nothing broke on either of them. Sprockets and chain, air filters, even aftermarket springs are the same. Most of the concern for long time costs never occur for most riders as they sell the bike and buy another before anything breaks. I did have a 950 that I had to replace the water pump on but the greater problem was obtaining parts and not that the parts were so much more expensive. Even if they were say 20% more if it only happens once how do you ultimately know it costs more to own a KTM 950 than a Suzuki Vstrom which I did also own. Besides that ownership costs are spread out so far as to be meaningless since owning a motorcycle is in itself much more expensive than a car, even though the gas is usually cheaper. My wife and I both had DR650's for a few years and it cost me more for us to go on a bike trip than taking our car to the same trip. Two bikes at 50 mpg equals one car at 25 mpg not to mention tires and oil changes etc. The overall cost of riding and owning motorcycles is far greater than the minuscule difference in maintenance costs of owning a European bike over a bike from Japan.
  15. CDHMotorsports

CDHMotorsports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I just got my 01 DR650 about 12 weeks aga and everything is great with it except on a couple of rides we have stopped for a few minutes and the bike wont start. I can roll it off and it will pop-start though. any ideas? Thanks
  16. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    You'll have to give us some more info. Cranks fine but won't start? Cranks slow? Button does nothing? Backfires?
  17. godaddygo

godaddygo drdude

Oddometer:
    This a quote from the "Short way around the world"
    http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Wondering if anyone has given this a try?

Headlight – Not riding at night is one of the golden rules of overland travel by motorcycle and I avoid it most of the time. There have been occasions though where I’ve been caught out and where I would really have benefitted from better lighting. However, as these times are few and far between I didn’t want to spend any money on expensive additional/replacement lights. The solution (though I’ll have to wait to prove it) seems to have come simply and cheaply in the form of a simple relay circuit and a better bulb. The theory: The stock headlight circuit uses small gauge wire connected through the switch to supply the headlight. This modification uses the OEM wiring to switch one of two relays (1 High beam, 1 Low) which in turn connect the headlight direct to the battery via larger gauge wires and an inline fuse. This system reduces the voltage drop to 0.1v; a drop of 1.0v can equate to a 25% reduction in the headlights ‘output. I also added a Phillips X-Treme headlight bulb of the OEM rating 60/55w.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

The problem with manufacturing in China is being able to stay on top of them. They love to start subbing unapproved materials any chance they get to save a few pennies.

I am pretty religious on maintenance on my bikes, but I also ride the piss out of them :lol3
  19. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Standard upgrade for me:

[​IMG]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20361773&postcount=379

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20364540&postcount=381

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20366459&postcount=383
  20. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    The suspension on my F800 was utter garbage. The forks being the worst. Both shock and fork internals were thrown in the trash. Had to spend some bucks to replace them with decent suspenders it should have come with. No chain guide either was a clue to the cost cutting by BMW. I can tell you the DR suspension as low end as it is, is still better then the stock F800. And the top shock mount on the F8 is another eye opener.
    Ill keep the DR myself.
    The GSA is all together different. Better build quality and components then the smaller cousin.
    This is just my opinion though but I have owned them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk