Intermittent Miss/Engine Drop

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hi guys

Leaving Belize and riding into Guatemala today Mayas engine started to every now and then drop then continue.

Too fast to see if the dash lights come on, fuel pump seems fine also if it were fuel it would bog and die whereas this is an instant off and back on which make me think electrical.

Going to push and pull plugs everywhere tonight but any pointers from anyone who has experienced similar probs please chime in.

Cheers all
  2. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you've checked the obvious; battery connection/cables,sparkies, VR. , vents ??

Are you able to monitor your charge rate while under way??

Good luck.
  3. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    side stand switch,key ign switch,clutch safety switch would be the three of the things I would check. Battery connection have been known to come loose also.
  4. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check around the starter relay. Basically everything goes through there and they are know to corrode.
  5. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coil connections. Spark plug and spark plug cap.
  6. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yeap, sitting constant at 13.8 Volts.

Only checked a few goodies under the seat before the sun fell out of the sky but nothing struck me as out of place or unusual.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, will hopefully find something simple in the am.
  7. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Ok, checked everything under the seat, pushed and pulle every connection, relay, fuse etc.

A couple of relays had a minor amount of crud but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to upset it but I cleaned them anyway.

Took off the headlight mask and did the same, checked everything I could.

Lastly I checked the off on switch which is a Euro switch, it has a very small amount of greasy stuff on the terminals so I cleaned them as well.

Short of removing the tank etc I have done as much as I can do, will see what happens from here now.

I have done a heap of searches and reading but couldn't find much on items slowly breaking down causing issues so has anyone had anything like that with electrical items breaking down slowly?
  9. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    From the HOW.

cpmodem: In the case of a broken ignition switch, lost key, or broken switch wires, it is fairly simple to "hotwire" the 950 Adventure (2003-2006). In the fuse box inside the glove box, simply jumper the Acc1 fuse to the Ignition, Headlights, and Instruments fuses (right three). Make up the jumper ahead of time and keep it on the bike for emergencies. Use a minimum of 2mm (14 AWG) insulated wire for your jumper. Be sure to connect the right three first. Leave the fuses in place and your circuits will be protected as usual. There is no additional load on any wiring as the jumper simply replaces the ignition switch in the circuit. The branch circuits remain un-altered. Jumpering to the other side (bottom side) will leave the circuits unprotected and may cause smoke to escape from the wires.

Hotwire the bike and see if it stops happening. If it does, your ignition switch is dying. This is an easy test to perform. I wish I'd found this info before I'd chased an issue similar to what you describe for two riding seasons.
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:

Like to do that too but we are on 2007 950 SE, how difficult is it to do to the SE or is it the same other than not in the glovebox?
  11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    damn.... more bad luck.... I feel bad for ya'll! Next bike outta be a KLR :lol3
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yes this fucken thing has cost us dearly and is still costing us dearly in repairs, we continue to be plagued with shit going wrong on it. :cry

Have to say it is wearing me down and I am getting pissed with it cos one day after another we are having to do all sorts of fixits and on the road this is 10 fold more difficult ... I don't mind a few things but fuck me I wouldn't mind a bit of a clean run.

Today is one of those "I regret buying this bike" days and unfortunately there are still too many of them :baldy:baldy
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Good morning guys

Ok we set off for our next leg and she coughed and spluttered, we only got 6 km out of town and now we are back.

On our return she ran fine FFS!!!!

Going to pull the tank now and get into it a lot deeper so any assistance would be grateful.

I am one step off ditching the bike for ever I have had enough :cry
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Found this traced it back to the off on switch, assume it is to be connected at the bottom, about to check the wiring diagram as well but if any SE owners can confirm this would be great.

I have the bike scattered all over the courtyard now and I don't want to pull the ignition switch set apart if I can help it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is from the pre-2007 950se portion of the shop manual I have on CD. There's a different one if you have a post '07.

[​IMG]

The red wire should be connected from the start button to the ignition switch down to the light system relay (not shown in this picture). I can post up the entire diagram if you need it. Good luck, and sorry about all the troubles on the road.

This is the full post '07 diagram

[​IMG]
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, checked our wiring diagram too, did a manual check of plugging in and pulling out and everything points to that.

Have cut and reconnected the wire ,about to take it for a test ride before putting house and contents back on board.

Back in an hour or so.
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yeap thats the one.

Another KTM950se (Alfred fuckinlammarre) special to fix, I wonder how many more hidden fault he has built into it??

Hopefully fixed now, off for a test ride.
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya guys

Well after one hour and 50 km she is running right again so it was that red wire broken off from being tangled in a birds nest with previous owner BS wiring so yet again mopping up the mess. :eek1

When we do our big service etc I will remove the mask and tie things up properly.

Thanks to all who helped, now we will be back on the road again tomorrow.:clap

Cheers and thanks Andi & Ellen
  20. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky, G'luck.